1
Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This thread is locked

G7 without AbysseaFollow

#1 Feb 14 2011 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,580 posts
As I understand if to raise the cap beyond 80 I need Kindred Crests, which most people seem to get in Abyssea. If I don't have Sea, Sky or Abyssea where can I find mobs that drop them that I can solo or at most duo with a friend?

Without the old FFXIAtlas site I no longer know where to look for info where to find level 70+ mobs? I know of the birds they added to Tavnazia (Seeboard Vultures or something I think), but they're well over 75 I think, and I don't know where I'd find lower 70 mobs outside of the Flamingos in Sky this character doesn't have access to.

Anyone with suggestions?

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 1:12pm by Vlorsutes Lock Thread:
#2 Feb 14 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
**
370 posts
I got mine from Flamingos in Sky.
____________________________
Jayheart wrote:
Does anyone actually have this knife yet? What does "Increase Critical Hit Dammage" do?


Endrew wrote:
i dont have the dagger, but i'm pretty sure it increaes the damage of your critical hits


bsphil wrote:
Genius!
#3 Feb 14 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
727 posts
Trolls in Mt Zhayolm drop them too.
#4 Feb 14 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Since you don't have Sky, Sea, or Abyssea I would suggest areas like Valley of Sorrows, Uleguerand Range, Boyahda Tree, and Aht Urhgan xp areas. All of those zones will have things you can solo and will drop the Kindred Crests but the rate will be low since they share a drop spot with beastmen and kindred seals.
____________________________
Signature Image
My Journal
#5 Feb 14 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
I got mine from the goblins in N. Gusta[s].
#6 Feb 14 2011 at 3:42 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,195 posts
Quote:
without Abyssea


Does not compute.
#7 Feb 14 2011 at 3:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,060 posts
Kragorn wrote:
Anyone with suggestions?

Get sea, sky, and abyssea.
#8 Feb 14 2011 at 4:15 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
I farmed mine off of mobs in La Vaule (S). Orcs, Ladybugs, Imps. Was slow, even with a couple characters to help, but had a BST and SMN to help, which made it much easier.
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#9 Feb 14 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Sir Reiterpallasch wrote:
Kragorn wrote:
Anyone with suggestions?

Get sea, sky, and abyssea.


This, sky and sea access are more or less Soloable for most jobs at this point, if not at least duoable-trioable for some DDs that lack soloability. Also get off your **** and buy abyssea. At this point, not having abyssea is like not having ToAU was a year after ToAU came out.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#10 Feb 14 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Excellent
**
342 posts
Tormentors in Den of Rancor. They are right inside the zone when you use the entrance near the Elshimo Uplands outpost. Ideally you'd want something a little lower in level to farm more quickly but the zone line is handy when you're solo.

Beastman pets also drop them. Try Grauberg or Vunkerl. Just run around looking for beastmen (Gigas) with pets or check out the BLM soloing guide.
#11 Feb 14 2011 at 6:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
106 posts
if i recall cape terrigan was farmed like a sob the first release of k crests of **** and manticores.

can grab pages while ur farming and get urself the merits u need while at it now there is no time restriction on them
#12 Feb 14 2011 at 6:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
996 posts
Sir Reiterpallasch wrote:
Kragorn wrote:
Anyone with suggestions?

Get sea, sky, and abyssea.



This is the correct answer.

____________________________
Arcari wrote:
It's the animation. All Drakesbane does is poke a mob and make lights appear. Ukko's Fury smashes a hole through existence itself to damage an opponent.

#13 Feb 15 2011 at 3:28 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,580 posts
Thanks to those who offered positive suggestions based on my needs, however I was hoping someone would be able to point me at a mob list because all those areas as far as I know have mobs which aren't 70+ so I could end up wasting a lot of time killing mobs which won't drop them.

From previous characters I know the birds in Sky are probably the best bet, but they're not available to me at present.

To those who said "get Sea, Sky and Abyssea" ... I won't explain why those aren't options because I see no point giving you cheap shots at me, the fact you needed to answer me like the makes it obvious the sort of retort I'd get if I did so.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 4:29am by Kragorn
#14 Feb 15 2011 at 5:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
6,424 posts
But why make a lvl 90 character with no access to endgame and **** for gear? And why do you need to be spoonfed information that anyone remotely familiar with the game can find in 5 minutes?

The only thing a character like that is good for is RMT... (farming gil drops).

Oh, and the answer is Castle Oztroja.
____________________________
No PUP, no glory! <Inferno Claws [4563/3520]>

"Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"
#15 Feb 15 2011 at 5:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
4,585 posts
Dragon's Aery has mobs over level 75, this may be a good bet. You can pull stuff to the zoneline, too.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 6:59am by Zafire
____________________________
Hume male, Zafire, Server: Sylph
50DNC, 50SMN, 50BRD, 50SAM, 50DRG, 50WHM, 52THF, 52COR, 52MNK, 58BST, 60WAR, 67PLD, 69PUP, 75RNG, 75SCH, 75BLM, 80NIN, 80DRK, 85BLU, 85RDM
Retired since February 2011.
All SJ's capped for LVL99!

#16 Feb 15 2011 at 5:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,580 posts
Zafire wrote:
Dragon's Aery has mobs over level 75, this may be a good bet. You can pull stuff to the zoneline, too.

Ah, thanks for idea, guess nowadays there's no chance of my encountering campers. :)

Seedling wrote:
And why do you need to be spoonfed information that anyone remotely familiar with the game can find in 5 minutes?

You sure you're not Rog?


Edited, Feb 15th 2011 7:02am by Kragorn
#17 Feb 15 2011 at 6:13 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,560 posts
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/bestiary.html?area=0&family=0&func=0&lmin=70&lmax=75&notor=0&fished=0&st=&mode=adv
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#18 Feb 15 2011 at 6:25 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,580 posts

I looked at ZAM's info but that isn't searchable by level like FFXIAtlas used to be, which is what I was really after.

Thanks for the suggestions, a couple were certainly areas I hadn't thought of looking for appropriate mobs.

As a last comment, I didn't realise http://www.campsitarus.blogspot.com/ was still around which is one of those resources I used years ago, for some reason I though that it was part of FFXIAtlas, otherwise I'd have gone there before asking.
#19 Feb 15 2011 at 6:32 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,560 posts
Kragorn wrote:

I looked at ZAM's info but that isn't searchable by level like FFXIAtlas used to be, which is what I was really after.


Wait, the link goes to a list of mobs 70 - 75, right?

Maybe I don't understand what you just said.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#20 Feb 15 2011 at 6:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
398 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Wait, the link goes to a list of mobs 70 - 75, right?


Not if you're not on premium.
____________________________
Gii ~~ Kujata (now Giii of Valefor)
Woodworking 100+3+3, some jobs at some levels
#21 Feb 15 2011 at 6:43 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,560 posts
Gii wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Wait, the link goes to a list of mobs 70 - 75, right?


Not if you're not on premium.


OH! I didn't know that!

Thanks
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#22 Feb 15 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
***
2,080 posts

Kragorn wrote:
Thanks to those who offered positive suggestions based on my needs, however I was hoping someone would be able to point me at a mob list because all those areas as far as I know have mobs which aren't 70+ so I could end up wasting a lot of time killing mobs which won't drop them.

From previous characters I know the birds in Sky are probably the best bet, but they're not available to me at present.

To those who said "get Sea, Sky and Abyssea" ... I won't explain why those aren't options because I see no point giving you cheap shots at me, the fact you needed to answer me like the makes it obvious the sort of retort I'd get if I did so.


I can understand why someone would not want to get Abyssea since it does cost money to buy. Perhaps this excuse could be even attached to not getting sea access. I do not understand, however, why someone would take the time to get a level 90 character but not do the missions to get at least sky access. If you have an NA copy of FF11 you have Zilart (especially since pretty much everywhere suggested for crests are Zilart areas and you did not object).

If your play time is limited use your limited play time to do a few missions at a time.

____________________________
Meara -> Meare
Ramuh -> Bahamut
#23 Feb 15 2011 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,516 posts
You may as well come out with it because being level 90 without any end game access is mind boggling. Someone brought up money reasons but if you have enough to pay the monthly fee you can scratch together enough for the expansions.
#24 Feb 15 2011 at 11:20 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
The statement "If you can afford X, you can afford X+Y" (where Y > 0) has to be some sort of established logical fallacy.

If money is tight, it doesn't matter if they can scrounge up enough.

Personally, I only have Visions, and I have people bugging me to buy the other two. Sure, I could probably scrounge up the money... but if money is tight, there are usually better decisions to be made. I mean, really, there's not a lot of decisions when you're low on cash that FFXI expansions win out on. "FFXI or food?" "FFXI or clothes?" "FFXI or something fun for my son?".

Plus, contrary to what people are brainwashed into thinking, there is still Non-Abyssea content in FFXI, and it can still be *gasp* enjoyable!
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#25 Feb 15 2011 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,516 posts
shanecf wrote:
If money is tight, it doesn't matter if they can scrounge up enough.

Personally, I only have Visions, and I have people bugging me to buy the other two. Sure, I could probably scrounge up the money... but if money is tight, there are usually better decisions to be made. I mean, really, there's not a lot of decisions when you're low on cash that FFXI expansions win out on. "FFXI or food?" "FFXI or clothes?" "FFXI or something fun for my son?".


If money is really that tight how do you justify paying a subscription based game in the first place. On a $100+ game system, or a more expensive computer? Any reasonable person who looks at their life and says "I can't buy a $15 expansion because that is the difference between being/not being hungry/naked/cold" probably should stop playing FFXI in the first place cause **** YOU BROKE SON[/b].

Seriously, if you're that hard up you got better things to worry about than where to get limit break stuff. All playing FFXI when you should be saving up for medicine so little Timmy doesn't die of the trembles. Be real man.
#26 Feb 15 2011 at 2:20 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,195 posts
Quote:
This, sky and sea access are more or less Soloable for most jobs at this point, if not at least duoable-trioable for some DDs that lack soloability. Also get off your **** and buy abyssea. At this point, not having abyssea is like not having ToAU was a year after ToAU came out.


Quote:
If money is really that tight how do you justify paying a subscription based game in the first place. On a $100+ game system, or a more expensive computer? Any reasonable person who looks at their life and says "I can't buy a $15 expansion because that is the difference between being/not being hungry/naked/cold" probably should stop playing FFXI in the first place cause **** YOU BROKE SON.


These.
#27 Feb 15 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
Quote:

If money is really that tight how do you justify paying a subscription based game in the first place. On a $100+ game system, or a more expensive computer? Any reasonable person who looks at their life and says "I can't buy a $15 expansion because that is the difference between being/not being hungry/naked/cold" probably should stop playing FFXI in the first place cause **** YOU BROKE SON.

Seriously, if you're that hard up you got better things to worry about than where to get limit break stuff. All playing FFXI when you should be saving up for medicine so little Timmy doesn't die of the trembles. Be real man.


Stop living in a world of black and white. Again, being able to afford X doesn't mean you can afford X+Y. Basic logic. I mean no disrespect, but you're really argueing something that doesn't make sense.

We're not talking about being hungry/naked/cold, necessarily. We can be discussing the quality of life but not to such extremes. If it is between buying my son Wendy's twice a month and buying an Abyssea expansion, I'll buy my son Wendy's... but that doesn't mean I'm not too poor to buy Abyssea expansions just because him not getting Wendy's doesn't mean he's going to go hungry (as we can buy cheaper food).

Not the best example, but that's my point. I don't know about the OP, but in my case, it's not an issue that buying an expansion is going to bankrupt me... but it IS the case that what little "extra" money I have right now is being prioritized for things that are more important, in my opinion, on a budget.

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 2:29pm by shanecf
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#28 Feb 15 2011 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,516 posts
Buy the expansions and quit buying your kid **** fast food. There I've done you both a favor.
#29 Feb 15 2011 at 2:48 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
Quote:
Buy the expansions and quit buying your kid sh*tty fast food. There I've done you both a favor.


Yeah, I don't need you to tell me how to parent. You have no right to do so, so back the eff off.
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#30 Feb 15 2011 at 2:54 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,195 posts
Quote:
Stop living in a world of black and white. Again, being able to afford X doesn't mean you can afford X+Y. Basic logic. I mean no disrespect, but you're really argueing something that doesn't make sense.


whooooooooooosh

The point was, if you're really in a state where you can't afford a 10 buck expansion, you are poor enough such that you really shouldn't be subscribing to a MMO in the first place.
#31 Feb 15 2011 at 3:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
Quote:
The point was, if you're really in a state where you can't afford a 10 buck expansion, you are poor enough such that you really shouldn't be subscribing to a MMO in the first place.


Except that, as I stated, that's not necessarily a true point. Repeating the argument doesn't make it any more true.

Maybe it works in a world in which you live in your parent's basement, but in the real world, just because someone has to make 1 sacrifice doesn't mean they have to sacrifice _everything_.

If someone has ~13 extra bucks a month, your argument is that they're too poor to play an MMO because they can't afford the expansion? Or are you just assuming that by spending the $13, they're somehow neglecting something else?
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#32 Feb 15 2011 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
**
539 posts
shanecf wrote:
Quote:
The point was, if you're really in a state where you can't afford a 10 buck expansion, you are poor enough such that you really shouldn't be subscribing to a MMO in the first place.


Except that, as I stated, that's not necessarily a true point. Repeating the argument doesn't make it any more true.

Maybe it works in a world in which you live in your parent's basement, but in the real world, just because someone has to make 1 sacrifice doesn't mean they have to sacrifice _everything_.

If someone has ~13 extra bucks a month, your argument is that they're too poor to play an MMO because they can't afford the expansion? Or are you just assuming that by spending the $13, they're somehow neglecting something else?

You could stop playing for a month, then buy the expansion. It'll even save you a few bucks.

If you're not capable of that, clearly the problem is that you're addicted and broke, spending money you shouldn't in the first place. Like me.
#33 Feb 15 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,195 posts
Quote:
Except that, as I stated, that's not necessarily a true point. Repeating the argument doesn't make it any more true.


It's not intended to be a "true" or "false" point. It's called an opinion.


Quote:
Maybe it works in a world in which you live in your parent's basement, but in the real world, just because someone has to make 1 sacrifice doesn't mean they have to sacrifice _everything_.


The point is, I really don't see much of a point anymore in playing this game (or at least, continuing to try to advance in it) without Abyssea. As was stated above, it's like continuing to play without ToAU when pretty much all of the game's new/current content (at that time) was in ToAU. There isn't even much of a point of working on passing the level cap; everything outside of Abyssea has already been beaten at 75 anyway.


Quote:
If someone has ~13 extra bucks a month, your argument is that they're too poor to play an MMO because they can't afford the expansion? Or are you just assuming that by spending the $13, they're somehow neglecting something else?


If you're tight enough on money that you cannot afford Abyssea, not only do I think that they're in bad enough monetary shape that they probably shouldn't be playing a subscription MMO, I don't know why they'd even want to be playing this particular one. You'd just be left out on the vast majority of content/activities nowadays.

But hey, whatever floats your hovercrafts.
#34 Feb 15 2011 at 4:51 PM Rating: Good
**
267 posts
They are 10 friggin dollars each. **** get one this month get the other next.

If you cant afford 10 friggin dollars you need to stop playing this game and get a better job.
____________________________
Its only illegal if you get caught.
#35 Feb 15 2011 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
312 posts
Honestly, if you are that strung up for cash right now, why don't you take a 2-3 month break save up your subscription fee and then apply that towards purchasing Abyssea.
____________________________
Detanita of Cerberus.
95blm/94blu/90whm/90rdm/90thf/90sch
Current Goals:
Goetia gloves +2 [0/6]
#36 Feb 15 2011 at 7:23 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,080 posts

Arguing about the affordability of the game is silly. So is arguing whether or not price is the reason the OP refuses to get the expansions.

I'm leaning towards significant other insisting on cutting back playtime myself. (Also a silly assumption).
____________________________
Meara -> Meare
Ramuh -> Bahamut
#37 Feb 16 2011 at 2:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
16 posts
Maybe the op just doesnt have interest in end game stuff?

Edited, Feb 16th 2011 3:15am by xpfftx
#38 Feb 16 2011 at 2:27 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,580 posts
Esdim wrote:
You may as well come out with it because being level 90 without any end game access is mind boggling. Someone brought up money reasons but if you have enough to pay the monthly fee you can scratch together enough for the expansions.

Mind boggling? Why? Can't you conceive that there are people who aren't at all interested in the 'end-game scene' and all the **** and drama and e-peening and judgementalisation (not a word I know, but it'll do) that goes on?

I love the assumptions some are making here about me, and what I want out of a game and what I may or may not be able to afford: on the last point I have three FFXI accounts, two I dual-box while the third has mules, cook and gardeners.

I also have an LoTR:O account where I play a Lore-Master in a raiding kin (which is one of the few MMOs I actually do end-game stuff), so no, money isn't an issue, I am fortunate that I can afford whatever I need to buy.

I don't have Abyssea because it has nothing I want to do, if I HAVE to get it at some point I will, but right now what goes on in there I can happily avoid.

Meara wrote:
I can understand why someone would not want to get Abyssea since it does cost money to buy. Perhaps this excuse could be even attached to not getting sea access. I do not understand, however, why someone would take the time to get a level 90 character but not do the missions to get at least sky access. If you have an NA copy of FF11 you have Zilart (especially since pretty much everywhere suggested for crests are Zilart areas and you did not object).

If your play time is limited use your limited play time to do a few missions at a time.

I re-started from scratch early last year on Ramuh, before that I had deleted a character with 75 BST/RDM/WHM from 2005 who had Sky (no ring) and Sea (Rajas), but hadn't done much in ToAU or WoTG. which I had transferred from Phoenix where an earlier shell had disintegrated due to the leadership just quitting.

Unfortunately not long after I restarted the few friends I had began to drift away and it's 6 months now since the last one logged on. I have zero desire to join another shell now, not that there are many it seems recruiting 'noobs' who don't have AF2 (at minimum), capped Magian, etc. even if I felt inclined.

So I now play entirely on my own, dual-boxing PLD/DNC/WAR and BST/WHM/RDM in various combinations. They are up to chapter 5 in CoP (I think it's 5, the next big fight is Promy-Vazhl) and until this week they were stuck at Rank 5 due to my not being 'leet' like Rog and able to solo 5-1, I failed a couple of times dual-boxing and had no real motivation to keep trying since I don't see them getting far into RoZ at 80 anyway.

Abyssea alliances seem the eptimoy of everything I detest about end-game activities, I've always played the game for the story lines, gear doesn't interest me in the slightest, which of course makes the 'teh gimpzorz111!!!LOL' in the eyes of many: if it's good enough to let me do what I want then it's fine by me.

Some no doubt will think me sad to want to carry on pottering about in a game in which I no longer have any friends, that's fine, just keep your "why solo in an MMO" comments to yourself please.

There are still things in the original and add-on parts of the game I haven't seen since I started playing in 2005, zones I've never really explored, if I can do so even now, on my own, then I'll still have something to do.

So that's why I asked what I did, and why I have no interest in Abyssea and all the phat lewt it offers.

Edited, Feb 16th 2011 3:33am by Kragorn
#39 Feb 16 2011 at 2:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,709 posts
/sarcasm on
If you can't sell a kidney to pay for Abyssea then you shouldn't be playing MMO's at all
/sarcasm off

Seriously guys, if you guys care about Kragorn & shanecf having Abyssea so bad send em $30.
____________________________
Sever: Diabolos Bahamut Lakshmi
Angryempath wrote:
Well, if you like having your center of mass above your neck, play Taru. Don't blame me when the wind picks up and you flip over >_>

Rog wrote:
I hate you @#%^ing retards that don't understand that the game pre75 and the game post 75 are two completely @#%^ing different games.
#40 Feb 16 2011 at 2:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,720 posts
Kragorn wrote:
There are still things in the original and add-on parts of the game I haven't seen since I started playing in 2005, zones I've never really explored, if I can do so even now, on my own, then I'll still have something to do.

So that's why I asked what I did, and why I have no interest in Abyssea and all the phat lewt it offers.


Honestly, Abyssea had my favorite expansion storyline since CoP (which is still my favorite storyline in the game). The big problem is that it's more scattered. Once I finally beat all six bosses, though, and started following the line of quests that Joachim starts you on, I really started to get into the Abyssea storyline. I really wish it had been fleshed out a lot more (like CoP was), but the storyline is worth playing. The loot is just an added bonus. And, for the record, I finished the storyline before I got my first +2 piece. Gear isn't my focus completely, either

Honestly, spoiler alert ahead, the very fact that Abyssea comes from having FAILED the CoP final fight makes it all the more interesting. I'm hoping they continue the storyline instead of completely abandoning it in future expansions.

Another point: With WAR/NIN/WHM, you can get all the atmas you could want. With some small modifications, you can even get all that "phat endgame loot" all by yourself, too. Still a solo game for you, still a chance to accomplish things on your own, and still an opportunity to better that gear that's just making due without all the drama of dealing with end game shells that you seem to detest and I'm starting to detest, as well.

The quests have interesting storyline details, as well. Naji actually being GOOD at his job until you show up in his universe was very funny to me, for instance. The play on the alternate realities and the discussions made by NPCs provided for some interesting activities to pursue in Abyssea as well.

I think that Abyssea is still worth it for someone that's only interested in storyline and "solo" accomplishments. You can still avoid a lot of the drama that you want to without complaining about the whole system.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#41 Feb 16 2011 at 4:44 AM Rating: Good
***
1,171 posts
Quote:
Seriously guys, if you guys care about Kragorn & shanecf having Abyssea so bad send em $30.


I think its more about anyone making such a stupid argument of 10$ making or breaking someone when they are paying 13$ on a game every month.

In the case of the OP I would imagine people are annoyed that someone is saying "Tell me exactly what to do about this while keeping in mind I don't want to do this, I don't have this, I refuse to do this, and don't want to bother wasting my time on this. Oh yeah, and be sure to tell me exactly what/where/when otherwise you aren't being helpful"
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?111209
Mnk90 Whm90 Smn90 Blm90 Sam81 Pld60
Bastokan and proud!
#42 Feb 16 2011 at 5:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,060 posts
Kragorn wrote:
Esdim wrote:
You may as well come out with it because being level 90 without any end game access is mind boggling. Someone brought up money reasons but if you have enough to pay the monthly fee you can scratch together enough for the expansions.

Mind boggling? Why? Can't you conceive that there are people who aren't at all interested in the 'end-game scene' and all the **** and drama and e-peening and judgementalisation (not a word I know, but it'll do) that goes on?

I love the assumptions some are making here about me, and what I want out of a game and what I may or may not be able to afford: on the last point I have three FFXI accounts, two I dual-box while the third has mules, cook and gardeners.

You have 3 accounts but wont dish out a couple extra bucks to buy some pretty much necessary expansions. What do you think people are going to assume? If you aren't interested in the end-game scene, what ARE you interested in? Because aside from lvling to 90 you won't have anything to do.

Quote:
I don't have Abyssea because it has nothing I want to do, if I HAVE to get it at some point I will, but right now what goes on in there I can happily avoid.
Well then you don't want the best gear in the game, you don't want exp, and you don't want to easily get the seals that rain from mobs that will let you do your limit breaks.

Quote:
Unfortunately not long after I restarted the few friends I had began to drift away and it's 6 months now since the last one logged on. I have zero desire to join another shell now, not that there are many it seems recruiting 'noobs' who don't have AF2 (at minimum), capped Magian, etc. even if I felt inclined.
If you can't get into a shell it's likely because you have no expansions, not the lack of AF2 that consists mostly of crap.

Quote:
So I now play entirely on my own, dual-boxing PLD/DNC/WAR and BST/WHM/RDM in various combinations. They are up to chapter 5 in CoP (I think it's 5, the next big fight is Promy-Vazhl) and until this week they were stuck at Rank 5 due to my not being 'leet' like Rog and able to solo 5-1, I failed a couple of times dual-boxing and had no real motivation to keep trying since I don't see them getting far into RoZ at 80 anyway.
If you can't 2box something a naked 75 can solo, there's something wrong. You don't need to be 'leet' like Rog to complete 5-1, you just need to be able to count higher than potato.

Quote:
Some no doubt will think me sad to want to carry on pottering about in a game in which I no longer have any friends, that's fine, just keep your "why solo in an MMO" comments to yourself please.
Forever Alone


#43 Feb 16 2011 at 5:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
6,424 posts
Kragorn wrote:
Seedling wrote:
And why do you need to be spoonfed information that anyone remotely familiar with the game can find in 5 minutes?

You sure you're not Rog?


Sub-10k postcount... it's a well known fact Deus Ex Rog only speaks through 10k+ posters.
____________________________
No PUP, no glory! <Inferno Claws [4563/3520]>

"Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"
#44 Feb 16 2011 at 6:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,098 posts
non- issue now because of level cap increase... but 5.1

bst/blu
use fungaur pet, sheepsong the sorcerers.
funguar can tank the main lich. bst can kill anything new that comes in or just let hate fall to the pet, who will 1-shot them. This mission is not too hard to duo at level 50 w/ a good bst and just 1 more... doesn't matter much what the 1-more is. if it can solo 1 sorcerer at a time, you are golden.

Has been one of my favorite battles.

Edited, Feb 16th 2011 7:17am by Xilk
____________________________
Server: Bahamut
90BST|90BLU
LS: MONSTERSINC

Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
--Beastmaster Forever--
#45 Feb 16 2011 at 7:01 AM Rating: Good
***
2,080 posts
Kragorn wrote:
I re-started from scratch early last year on Ramuh, before that I had deleted a character with 75 BST/RDM/WHM from 2005 who had Sky (no ring) and Sea (Rajas), but hadn't done much in ToAU or WoTG. which I had transferred from Phoenix where an earlier shell had disintegrated due to the leadership just quitting.

Unfortunately not long after I restarted the few friends I had began to drift away and it's 6 months now since the last one logged on. I have zero desire to join another shell now, not that there are many it seems recruiting 'noobs' who don't have AF2 (at minimum), capped Magian, etc. even if I felt inclined.

So I now play entirely on my own, dual-boxing PLD/DNC/WAR and BST/WHM/RDM in various combinations. They are up to chapter 5 in CoP (I think it's 5, the next big fight is Promy-Vazhl) and until this week they were stuck at Rank 5 due to my not being 'leet' like Rog and able to solo 5-1, I failed a couple of times dual-boxing and had no real motivation to keep trying since I don't see them getting far into RoZ at 80 anyway.

Abyssea alliances seem the eptimoy of everything I detest about end-game activities, I've always played the game for the story lines, gear doesn't interest me in the slightest, which of course makes the 'teh gimpzorz111!!!LOL' in the eyes of many: if it's good enough to let me do what I want then it's fine by me.

Some no doubt will think me sad to want to carry on pottering about in a game in which I no longer have any friends, that's fine, just keep your "why solo in an MMO" comments to yourself please.

There are still things in the original and add-on parts of the game I haven't seen since I started playing in 2005, zones I've never really explored, if I can do so even now, on my own, then I'll still have something to do.

So that's why I asked what I did, and why I have no interest in Abyssea and all the phat lewt it offers.


I joined a linkshell that was shouting to do a particular mob in Abyssea one day. They don't have a website that requires you to make a long and involved applications with certain minimum requirements. In fact, I think on Ramuh there might only be one or two of that type of linkshell left. I couldn't even name one if I tried. The days of the elite end-game linkshell are over. All you have to do to find a shell is hang out in Port Jeuno and grab a couple off shouters. Eventually you'll find one you like.

I personally don't do any missions/quests for the gear it gives me access to. The Zilart storyline is excellent. I remember really enjoying it when I did it years ago. I've waited for another storyline with Lion as the guide (I'm tired of Prishe in everything). I wish she would hurry up and recover already. I don't think of doing missions as an 'end game' activity.

I dunno, you seem very hung up on being as anti-end game as possible. Everything you do after you hit level cap is technically end game. You don't have to go get awesome gear. It's going to happen to you too.
____________________________
Meara -> Meare
Ramuh -> Bahamut
#46 Feb 16 2011 at 7:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,465 posts
Quote:
I think its more about anyone making such a stupid argument of 10$ making or breaking someone when they are paying 13$ on a game every month.


Because not everyone has a similar disposable income. 13 dollars might be all they have to entertain themselves at the end of the month. I know when I pay off all my bills etc I get left with a whopping 300 dollars to spend. Most of which goes to smokes and beer, and a tiny little amount does not. But I am lucky and have fulltime work, and I am the boss so even if I miss a day I still get paid.

I know it seems like a crazy notion but not everyone has the same money supply. Not everyone still lives at home with mommy and daddy and actually have to spend their money to keep them selves fed/clothed/sheltered.

I don't think it is fair to paint the OP in this light. 13 dollars a month may not break your bank, it might not even break the OP's. But 23 dollars this month and 23 next month and 23 the next month or some split of that 30$ it costs for abyssea might.


Why do you care what the reasons are for the OP not having/buying abyssea. HE asked a question and got an answer. Now you rag on him for not wanting/being able to spend another 10-30 dollars. I thought these boards were supposed to be more friendly without Rog here, but it seems that is not the case.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#47 Feb 16 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,433 posts
If you don't want to buy Abyssea expansions because they don't seem interesting enough to you that's your business.

However, Abyssea is a fantastic expansions, and it's something you can't understand until you try it. Abyssea sounded awful on paper when it first came out, but it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to FFXI. SE did something very right with Abyssea.

Abyssea is our current endgame content, but it's not "endgame" like endgame used to be. You can go out and get gear and accomplish things even in small groups or solo. Abyssea exp alliances sound scary, but they're way less elitist than merit parties used to be. Pickup groups are easy to get into on any job you want over 75, and no one even cares much if people are gimp, with 18 people there's a lot more flexibility. All most people care about is that you don't go afk the whole time, and it amazes me how many people don't even care about that.

The one thing about Abyssea is that if there's any chance you'll want it eventually, it's beneficial to get it asap and start building your stone stock even if you don't use it right away.

I get how you feel about all your friends quitting, but I don't think the answer is to stick your head in the sand and play by yourself and only by yourself. By not having Abyssea you're severely limiting your chances to make new friends. You don't need a hardcore endgame shell to do Abyssea, every LS out there with members over 75 (and frankly what LSs are out there who don't have 75+ members these days), does Abyssea in some way or another, including social linkshells who don't care what jobs or gear you have, and will take you even before you have Abyssea expansions.

The only thing limiting yourself is you.
____________________________
Ariane - Diabolos
Hume Female - Bastok
#48 Feb 16 2011 at 8:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
936 posts
Kragorn wrote:
Thanks to those who offered positive suggestions based on my needs, however I was hoping someone would be able to point me at a mob list
Kragorn later wrote:
I looked at ZAM's info but that isn't searchable by level like FFXIAtlas used to be, which is what I was really after
Unfortunately no such listing/database of mobs is (freely) available any more like how Atlas and Somepage were set up, to my knowledge anyway
Kragorn wrote:
because all those areas as far as I know have mobs which aren't 70+
Here's the suggestions you were given to this point (since it spiraled away from suggestions afterward):
Area			Mob			Level 
Misareaux Coast		Seaboard Vulture	83-84 
Mount Zhayolm		Trolls			79-82 
Valley of Sorrows	Manticore		72-74 
Valley of Sorrows	Peryton			69-72 
Uleguerand Range	Tyrannotaur		72-75 
Uleguerand Range	Fachan			73-75 
Uleguerand Range	Skeletons, Demons	73-76 
Uleguerand Range	Molech			79-82 
Uleguerand Range	Higher level Demons	82-83 
The Boyahda Tree	Skimmer			72-74 
The Boyahda Tree	Korrigan		72-75 
The Boyahda Tree	Processionaire		72-75 
The Boyahda Tree	Steelshell		73-77 
The Boyahda Tree	Boyadha Sapling		74-77 
The Boyahda Tree	Elder Goobbue		74-77 
Caedarva Mire		Jnun			72-77	 
Caedarva Mire		Spongilla Fly		78-79 
Caedarva Mire		Heraldic Imp		79-81 
Bhaflau Thickets	Greater Colibri		81-82 
Bhaflau Thickets	Regular Colibri		71-73 
Bhaflau Thickets	Date Eruca		72-74 
Bhaflau Thickets	Sea Puk			77-78 
North Gustaberg [S]	Goblins			71-73 
La Vaule [S]		War Lizard		71-73 
La Vaule [S]		Mariehene 		71-74 
La Vaule [S]		La Vaule Pugil		72-75 
La Vaule [S]		Fighting Smilodon	75-78 
La Vaule [S]		Seneschal Imp		77-79 
La Vaule [S]		Orcs			77-83 
Den of Rancor		Tormentor		75-79 
Vunkerl Inlet [S]	Gigas's Tiger		73-75 
Cape Teriggan		Sand ****		71-74 
Cape Teriggan		Greater Manticore	76-79 
Dragon's Aery		Bark Tarantula		77-80 
Dragon's Aery		Darter			77-79
While some of the areas suggested certainly do contain under-70 mobs, that doesn't mean they don't also have plenty of 70+ mobs. And the specific suggestions you were given, i.e. Mt. Z Trolls, N. Gusta [S] Goblins, La Vaule [S] Orcs/Ladybugs/Imps, Den of Rancor Tormentors, Vunkerl Gigas pets, Cape Teriggan **** are all spot on.
#49 Feb 16 2011 at 12:15 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
512 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
I think its more about anyone making such a stupid argument of 10$ making or breaking someone when they are paying 13$ on a game every month.


Because not everyone has a similar disposable income. 13 dollars might be all they have to entertain themselves at the end of the month. I know when I pay off all my bills etc I get left with a whopping 300 dollars to spend. Most of which goes to smokes and beer, and a tiny little amount does not. But I am lucky and have fulltime work, and I am the boss so even if I miss a day I still get paid.

I know it seems like a crazy notion but not everyone has the same money supply. Not everyone still lives at home with mommy and daddy and actually have to spend their money to keep them selves fed/clothed/sheltered.

I don't think it is fair to paint the OP in this light. 13 dollars a month may not break your bank, it might not even break the OP's. But 23 dollars this month and 23 next month and 23 the next month or some split of that 30$ it costs for abyssea might.


Why do you care what the reasons are for the OP not having/buying abyssea. HE asked a question and got an answer. Now you rag on him for not wanting/being able to spend another 10-30 dollars. I thought these boards were supposed to be more friendly without Rog here, but it seems that is not the case.


Rdmcandie, I'm glad to see someone understands. I'm not even going to bother trying to explain it to them again. They live in a world where if you can afford a car, you can afford a car and a boat apparently. The idea that an extra fee is, in fact, going to be more expensive is apparently a very advanced concept. Maybe they've never had to create a budget before. Regardless, I'm done with this thread.

Kragorn, good luck on your leveling/limit-break. Don't let them tell you how to enjoy the game. =)

Edited, Feb 16th 2011 12:16pm by shanecf
____________________________
Keriam, Corsair 99, Captain Rank, Sylph Server
#50 Feb 16 2011 at 12:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
No, we live in a world where if you can afford a car but can't afford the insurance: Why the f*ck do you own a car?
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#51 Feb 16 2011 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
If you can afford the monthly subscription, I'm sure you could, you know, save five dollars a month for a couple months. If you're so hard up that you can't save five bucks than I don't see how you can justify paying a monthly fee to play a game (especially a game in which you won't be able to DO much after paying your monthly fee, since you have access to none of the advanced features of the game). You might as well stop paying that monthly fee, save it for a couple of months and buy a game you can play that doesn't charge a subscription - you'll automatically be less pressed for cash within months. If you don't see the logic in that, I'm not sure how you can argue against the logic of if you can afford X, you can afford X+Y. You're the one making it black and white; of course there are instances in which you can't afford Y, just because you afford X, but in an instance where X = 13x(N) (where N = number of months played) and Y = 10, it's pretty silly to say you can afford 13N but not 13N + 10. There's just not really much point in continuing to pay a monthly fee to achieve rank 90 when you can't access any of the features of the game that require rank 90. You'd might as well cancel your sub for a month, save the money you'd be using for your sub for that month, and than come back the following month with $26 and pay your sub + the expansion. Also, as others have said, since the game comes with RoZ, you have almost no excuse for not having Sky access. If you can spend the time to level to 90 and farm Kindred Crests, you can spend the time unlocking Sky.
____________________________

« Previous 1 2 3
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 56 All times are in CDT
Szabo, Anonymous Guests (55)