Let me post a guide I made for a friend who went, "but I'm broke!". You know who you are. I'm updating this here for post cru nerf..
...But I'm Broke!
Gilmaking in a post Abyssea World
I started this when a friend of mine came back (you know who you are) and actually said that! Said person is afraid of the gil mountains you have to climb now a days.
...As most of you are aware, it's easier to climb these gil mountains than you think. I won't give away all my secrets, some you'll have to think about because I'm going to be pretty vague here. Rather not lose my gilmakers by ratting on them specifically but hopefully I can help someone out here.
Anyway, lemme go though the possibilities of making gil. Also a few tips, NEVER put your gilmaking all in one basket; multiple ways are best. FFXI AH
should be your friend, and don't forget stuff you can NPC; that can at least pay for food/meds.
1. Farming Stuff People Don't Farm Anymore; Clusters are ok gil. So are certain scrolls that are used to proc in abyssea. Get say, a AM or some IV spells off a mob and you've made yourself a cool 200k. And oh yes, if it's scrolls, I suggest you farm somewhere you can get some npcables too; that's quick gil :)
2. Farming NPCables in aby; Dark rings I hear are worth a lot of money if you get them from gold chests in aby. I've heard of people who funded relics this way...
3. “NPCing the Colbri Feathers” – You'll prolly ask, “Eli, what the frick do you mean?” What I mean is using stuff you get from merit/xp parties to get stuff to NPC. So this means; weapons you get from Heroes zones that you can get from a npc...all that kinda stuff. (Sadly blinkers to gil isn't as good anymore)
4. Dynamis stuff ; I think most know about this one. Currency is worth a nice amount of gil (if you don't plan on a relic weap), so are the new upgrade items for AF2. I made a lot of gil from dyn tho yeah, I need to get so I can solo in there better :D
5. Farming and Crafting; If you get a craft up all the way, great. Maybe you got a way to mint gil if you're smart about it. The trick is you really want some things that you can easily profit on the NQ with. (Some crafters are going to look at me funny for that) Why? HQ things are no way to make a living in FFXI. Getting hqs is really random and you can't always control WHEN you'll get a hq; you can go though a whole stack of mats and only get 1. Which isn't good. Also, if you got time to farm mats, that can help profits as well; BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME. Anyway, check ah, check costs, if you can find something you can make that gives good profits and sells frequently, go for it.
6. Fishing and NPCing the catch; As a cook this INFURIATES me when I go look for fish (and I'm considering taking up fishing myself), but I know people fund relics with this. Heck, I heard of one guy who funded 3 relics with fishing and npcing the catch. Check around and see which fish give you the best time to gil ratio. ^^
7. Selling Stuff From Brown Chests from GoV; Ah yes. Sometimes there's junk in there, but sometimes there's stuff that can sell for a pretty penny. (cells come to mind if you don't do Voidwatch)
8. Selling Stuff You Don't Need from Voidwatch – I know, that event can be quite infuriating. But I've gotten two rancor collars (I keep my tonberry hate low, dangnabbit, that's useless to me!) and that's worth a bit. It's random as bleep, so don't feel obligated to voidwatch. It's more like icing on the cake when you actually get something good and you don't need it.
9. Being a Merc; Yes this still can work. I've heard of people when easy brews first came out actually selling a brewing service. (I don't think that'd work anymore) Just check for a opportunity and pounce.
10. Selling Teles/Retrace/D2 while watching shouts; Old method, still viable. Used to be better at one point because you could shoutsell, but if you're doing something like watching shouts or crafting in Jueno and someone wants a Tele Dem, there's some spare gil for you.
11. HELMing; Most people don't try to do this, but there is money to be had, especially with new items. Make sure you use a job that can cast its own s/i and reraise and go for it. Oh and do your research. Obviously things like mining gold ore no longer works (argh gold drops from Voidwatch) so don't do this blindly.
12. Selling Imp Coins; IS is dearer now but there is still a demand for imperial currency. Heck there proly will be as long as the game is up because of mog lockers. So do a few Besiged's and get a stack or two to sell.
13. Doing Limbus and selling Ancient Beastcoins – I think this is self explanatory. Quite a bit of the old standbys for coin gear are still good..that's why this works..
14. BCNMs and such fights; I don't think I need to explain this much either. Best gil is from bcs you can either solo or do with no more than three people tho imo; less to share unless you're doing your go/your orb your drop.
15. Selling Abyssea Pop Items; Check the AH. Some pop items take a while to farm, and people are lazy and will pay like 200k each for 'em. Need I say more?
16. Avatars/Quests; If you kill the 6 primes, that's 60k a day. Solo a puppeh and it's more. Need I go on? Also there's quests ya can do for some gil; I know my brother relied on one to get over a mil once. However it's kinda tedious. ^^
17. Gardening – No, I don't mean ore. (Ore is not profitable anymore) There are some cooking mats that are profit if you can get them consistently. Get some cheap pots, check FFXI Wiki for directions, and give it a try. Oh and if you remember the wildgrass thing; if you farm your crystals it still works for med gil, tho don't try wildgrass if you buy your crystals. (Well, unless you're raising a bird..)
18. Selling Chocobo Cards/Chocobo Racing/Chocobo stuff; If you raised a bird and it's colored, great. Sometimes you can sell a card from that bird for someone wanting to raise a bird for a few k. Also if you got a racer, you can sometimes win some nice gil at the races. I don't know though how well chocobo digging does anymore though since I never bothered leveling it..proly not so hot.
As you can see, no one is totally helpless making gil. Oh and last thing to say, be patient. Gil making takes time. It can take more time than xping as a matter of fact now a days. But totally worth it. :)
I hope that helps!