Well, XI's crafting suffered for a lot of reasons, really.
1) No bind on equip mechanism.
Agreed, though to be honest, crafting always was about the Cursed Equipment anyways.
2) Some items were absolutely worthless if not HQ'd, and some actually unwanted IF HQ'd.
Worthless, only in the eyes of the players. A scorpion harness was plenty good enough; no need for the +1.
3) RNG failures and material loss. (At least XIV let you control the crafting process to mitigate this possibility)
They fixed this, you can buy a Ring that gives you 1% less chance of failure, and you can eat a Kitron Macaron for another 7% less failure. I think, I've seen 1 failure out of maybe 200 synths if you're skill cap or above. There is also (Mega) Moglification: Craft, each of my characters that has it loses zero materials 75% of the time.
5) Little incentive to craft non-popular goods like quest rewards or deepening the craft equipment system.
added a crafting shield quest line that gives you a shield that increases crafting stats, and it is done in steps (only Step 1 is out now, future steps are on the way).
6) HQs drastically affecting consumable quantity. (33/66/99 Shihei, for example)
And why shouldn't they? Otherwise you wouldn't care about HQ, and have no reason to want to get better at your craft.
7) lolAlchemy and medicines being largely an afterthought to players. (non-stackable, long use time, poor performance, medicated effects, etc.)
Try fighting anything that has doom without Holy Water, lol. Also, +125 Attack Foods that are ~Lv100 cooking are pretty sweet.
8) No enchantment/enhancement system to further bolster durables via consumables.
They tried this with Synergy and Evoliths, but nobody used them. Instead, NPCs upgrade our gear now. They also tried Scrap & Tatter synergies too, but it sounds like those weren't that successful either. I never even heard of it until I saw it on a wiki once.
9) Not a big sense of conformity to level tiers across all jobs/classes.
This is the one big flaw I feel that FFXI has, there's no job balance whatsoever. GEOs are overpowered, BLUs can pump out ridiculous damage while other jobs just stand there and stare at the mob, swinging once every few seconds.
Some jobs get nice crafted stuff, other jobs...... don't.
10) Clunky UI, particularly for repeat synths with lots of ingredients.
This has been fixed. There's /lastsynth command that does as its name suggests, and the Synthesis menu option that saves the last 10 unique synths you've done AND you can mark favorites. All you gotta do is select the one you want, it even tells you what the items required are, and whether or not you have them (it'll put a red 'x' near something you're missing).
And also to reply to the other guy who was complaining about there being no equipment.....
Did you not check the Sparks NPC? There's Level 1-50 (and starter Lv99) armor and Lv1-99 weapons on this NPC. A wide variety of stuff. Not Leaping Boots or Scorpion Harness, mind you, but I found the selection to be rather reasonable; mostly craftable stuff. And the Sparks Cost is not bad either, a Lv78-ish weapon would run you 500-800 Sparks which is a pittance, since my one mule had 20,000+ sparks by Lv40. lol. Edited, Feb 15th 2017 1:38pm by Lyrailis