1
Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Has Windower Gone?Follow

#1 Feb 13 2017 at 6:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,590 posts
For the last several days whenever I've launched the game there's been a long delay while Windower tried to phone home and now I realise their server has gone, so no software, forums, anything.
#2 Feb 13 2017 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
***
3,295 posts
Thankfully, looks like it was just a web hosting hiccup, it's back up now.
#3 Feb 14 2017 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,590 posts
So it seems thankfully.

Much relieved, for me the game is unplayable without it .. I don't use macros and only a couple of minor addons, I mainly use it for the graphical improvements, in particular draw distance.
#4 Feb 14 2017 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
***
3,618 posts
Kragorn wrote:
So it seems thankfully.

Much relieved, for me the game is unplayable without it .. I don't use macros and only a couple of minor addons, I mainly use it for the graphical improvements, in particular draw distance.


And the borderless-fullscreen mode? Smiley: clown
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 Feb 14 2017 at 5:25 PM Rating: Good
***
3,295 posts
Callinon wrote:
Kragorn wrote:
So it seems thankfully.

Much relieved, for me the game is unplayable without it .. I don't use macros and only a couple of minor addons, I mainly use it for the graphical improvements, in particular draw distance.


And the borderless-fullscreen mode? Smiley: clown


^^
This.

This is 100% (literally) of the reason I use Windower, JUST to have Borderless Window.

If the FFXI devs would just take a couple hours and do what the Windower Team did to make it work, I would quit using Windower altogether.

EDIT: No offense against the Windower team, they make the game playable afterall, but I don't need the bells and whistles. I literally don't set any of that stuff up.

Edited, Feb 14th 2017 6:26pm by Lyrailis
#6 Feb 15 2017 at 2:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,632 posts
I used it so I could give my dual box character commands without having to alt-tab as much. I wonder if that addon still exists... :X

Oh yeah, and to just...dual box in the first place.

Edited, Feb 15th 2017 3:53am by Zafire
____________________________
Hume male, Zafire, Server: Sylph
50DNC, 50SMN, 50BRD, 50SAM, 50DRG, 50WHM, 52THF, 52COR, 52MNK, 58BST, 60WAR, 67PLD, 69PUP, 75RNG, 75SCH, 75BLM, 80NIN, 80DRK, 85BLU, 85RDM
Retired since February 2011.
All SJ's capped for LVL99!

#7 Feb 15 2017 at 9:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,774 posts
It's not "just a couple of hours" (I know exaggerating) they actually talked about it in one of their last livestreams, they have to update FFXI beyond DX8 to get it to properly work, the framework is just too outdated and SE isn't allocating much funds to XI with XIV's new expansion being their focus of the MMO division.

**** only reason I use Windower was back in the day for the performance of the windowed mode vs XI's windowed mode, but these days if they're able to update it to DX9 or 10 like they planned to things will be a lot more "modern", since they said the sole reason the new UI they were working on is in limbo is because of dev costs associated with framework upgrading. So we probably won't see much until after March at minimum (financial period end etc.)

As for commands, it exists - It's even more of a botting program now lol, so some people literally can't live without Windower now because of all the features of W4.

____________________________

#8 Feb 15 2017 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
***
3,295 posts
Theonehio wrote:
It's not "just a couple of hours" (I know exaggerating) they actually talked about it in one of their last livestreams, they have to update FFXI beyond DX8 to get it to properly work, the framework is just too outdated and SE isn't allocating much funds to XI with XIV's new expansion being their focus of the MMO division.

**** only reason I use Windower was back in the day for the performance of the windowed mode vs XI's windowed mode, but these days if they're able to update it to DX9 or 10 like they planned to things will be a lot more "modern", since they said the sole reason the new UI they were working on is in limbo is because of dev costs associated with framework upgrading. So we probably won't see much until after March at minimum (financial period end etc.)

As for commands, it exists - It's even more of a botting program now lol, so some people literally can't live without Windower now because of all the features of W4.



Uh.... I think they're full of it as far as Borderless Window goes.

Windower is nothing more than an API hook that forces PlayOnline to allow Windowed Mode in a Borderless Window Mode. It's a hook that injects code into the .exe. The same code that SE could just put in the .exe themselves. Windower isn't some piece of magic that suddenly makes a DX8 game run like it's DX9 or something.

If a third-party developer can do it with an API hook, then the original devs could either do the exact same thing, or make the changes to the .exe themselves easily enough.

EDIT: Now stuff like new UI, updating the framework, etc... yeah, that's a lot of work... but borderless window? Nope. If you can inject the code to make it work with an API hook, the original developer could do it just as easily. Keep in mind the windower team probably had to reverse compile the code to even know what to inject in the first place, while the original devs have access to the source code.

Edited, Feb 15th 2017 1:23pm by Lyrailis
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 93 All times are in CDT
Kuwoobie, marsupialboy, Anonymous Guests (91)