1
Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

The 2010 BLU Equipment Guide and Gourmet MenuFollow

#27 Jan 05 2010 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
282 posts
Oh snap, how did I forget Balrahn's Ring?

Ulthalam's is great, and awesome, and great, no questions. An extra source of Refresh in Assaults and Nyzul is EPIC, and if you have any other mage job it's an invaluable ring.
____________________________
Server: Bahamut
BRD 75 BLU 90 DNC 90 WHM 90 THF 75 WAR 40 NIN 90 SCH 45

#28 Jan 05 2010 at 2:57 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,129 posts
The negatives on Woodsman's may not affect BLU, but they may for other jobs. As it's 2010 n' all, most players don't have only one job.

However, I would look at it in part as a matter of consistency. Ecphoria is included as an ACC piece. Coral earring is on the list when it provides no real benefit over Spike unless tanking mobs that are nuking you, and so on. Other gear is included purely to say not to use it. Then you have things that aren't. IE, you list a Flame Ring, when Ruby/Triumph and Omicron (STR+5, In Salvage: Counter +2 ring from Assault) aren't mentioned.

Now, I agree, any player that's not blindly following the list should be able to figure most of that out for themselves. However, one could also assume that by listing what stats you'd want, and for what, that listing out individual gear items wouldn't be necessary either.

While you are the one putting work into making this, I would say as a critique, that if you mean it to be a guide to gearing yourself as a BLU, then reorganizing it into a set-oriented article would probably be wise (I think the Alla staff would want it in their Wiki rather than a forum post as well).
If it's meant to be a list highlighting BLU gear, then perhaps listing sidegrade items in some way would be appropriate for the sake of being comprehensive.


With day/night stuff. Those using Spellcast (particularly) or who are used to toggling between day/night sets from NIN or whatnot may find it easy to implement "half the time" gear like a Fenrir items.

Again, if you're looking to make a comprehensive gear list, then including items that are outside your scope or preference for the job would still be appropriate.


Not meant maliciously or anything, just sayin' is all.
____________________________
•• Isiolia - Mithra - Pandemo... Asura FU SE ••
RDM BLM BST BRD NIN WAR PLD DNC BLU
#29 Jan 05 2010 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
**
622 posts
AmanoJ wrote:
Quote:
Magic Accuracy: Affects resist rates when you're casting magical spells. Again, does nothing for physical spells.

Was that resolved? I had read theories about magic accuracy potentially helping land the stun effect from headbutt, etc. Never read the end results, however. Was it shown to have no effect?


I think a RDM tested this with death blossom and saw an increased stun rate. I don't remember who, or how large the sample size was, but I remember someone doing it. The spell is based on ACC, but the effect was influenced by MACC.

An interesting thought would be if we gain additional MACC through INT/MND with a spell like headbutt. I'm gonna assume its more like dark magic where only skill and macc help until I hear otherwise.

Edited, Jan 5th 2010 4:15pm by CrimsonSage
____________________________
Stalk me
#30 Jan 05 2010 at 3:10 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
Isiolia wrote:
The negatives on Woodsman's may not affect BLU, but they may for other jobs. As it's 2010 n' all, most players don't have only one job.

However, I would look at it in part as a matter of consistency. Ecphoria is included as an ACC piece. Coral earring is on the list when it provides no real benefit over Spike unless tanking mobs that are nuking you, and so on. Other gear is included purely to say not to use it. Then you have things that aren't. IE, you list a Flame Ring, when Ruby/Triumph and Omicron (STR+5, In Salvage: Counter +2 ring from Assault) aren't mentioned.

Now, I agree, any player that's not blindly following the list should be able to figure most of that out for themselves. However, one could also assume that by listing what stats you'd want, and for what, that listing out individual gear items wouldn't be necessary either.

While you are the one putting work into making this, I would say as a critique, that if you mean it to be a guide to gearing yourself as a BLU, then reorganizing it into a set-oriented article would probably be wise (I think the Alla staff would want it in their Wiki rather than a forum post as well).
If it's meant to be a list highlighting BLU gear, then perhaps listing sidegrade items in some way would be appropriate for the sake of being comprehensive.


With day/night stuff. Those using Spellcast (particularly) or who are used to toggling between day/night sets from NIN or whatnot may find it easy to implement "half the time" gear like a Fenrir items.

Again, if you're looking to make a comprehensive gear list, then including items that are outside your scope or preference for the job would still be appropriate.


Not meant maliciously or anything, just sayin' is all.
Again, leaving off Ruby and Omicron was a gigantic brain-****, they're going in. If you can spot any other omissions I'd greatly appreciate the time taken to find them.

Re. the wiki, if the Alla staff want me to fix it, that's up to them to tell me, but the current presentation is how I want it to be for a forum post and that's how it will remain for the time being.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#31 Jan 05 2010 at 3:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
CrimsonSage wrote:
AmanoJ wrote:
Quote:
Magic Accuracy: Affects resist rates when you're casting magical spells. Again, does nothing for physical spells.

Was that resolved? I had read theories about magic accuracy potentially helping land the stun effect from headbutt, etc. Never read the end results, however. Was it shown to have no effect?


I think a RDM tested this with death blossom and saw an increased stun rate. I don't remember who, or how large the sample size was, but I remember someone doing it. The spell is based on ACC, but the effect was influenced by MACC.

An interesting thought would be if we gain additional MACC through INT/MND with a spell like headbutt. I'm gonna assume its more like dark magic where only skill and macc help until I hear otherwise.

Edited, Jan 5th 2010 4:15pm by CrimsonSage
Additional effects are different -- I can clear it up by just adding half a sentence, but the spell itself won't be affected by M.Acc. Thanks for the pointer.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#32 Jan 05 2010 at 4:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
15,268 posts
Needs more zam links so you get pretty pictures when you mouseover the equips. Smiley: nod
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#33 Jan 05 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,180 posts
This is a guide to mediocrity. When I see "zomg this is a luxury item even though it's good" I think sniper's ring +1, ancient torque, fragarach. Homam and swift belt? Perdu hanger? Come on, that's standard. That should be "form an assault static or camp whitegate for shouts until you get the ranks." Items that fully live up to the value or difficulty to obtain shouldn't be branded the same as luxury.

But I heartily approve of the footnote on ifrit's blade.
____________________________
Louverance: You should spend your next life as a friar, my friend!
Later...
Meransarget: Oh, herro there.
#34 Jan 06 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
zellbaca wrote:
This is a guide to mediocrity. When I see "zomg this is a luxury item even though it's good" I think sniper's ring +1, ancient torque, fragarach. Homam and swift belt? Perdu hanger? Come on, that's standard. That should be "form an assault static or camp whitegate for shouts until you get the ranks." Items that fully live up to the value or difficulty to obtain shouldn't be branded the same as luxury.

But I heartily approve of the footnote on ifrit's blade.
The reason it's a "guide to mediocrity" is because if you have the resources to get most of the red stuff, you probably don't need this guide in the first place. I can make it less misleading just by changing a word.

re. Perdu/Homam, that stuff's billed the way it is just because of the time sink required to get it -- I'm not saying you're wrong, as you should definitely do your level best to get it, but Homam in particular's rather a cut-throat business, even if you have an Omega-only Limbus LS (they do exist, I'm in one), as there are bound to be loads of players after it and, depending on your Limbus shell's drop policy, may entail waiting times to the tune of several months.


Not intended to sound snappy, the only reason it seems that way is because I just woke up and need a coffee.


EDIT: Taken what you've said on board, and made some formerly all-red items red/gold mixes. I've changed the description of red items to emphasise the "either" bit, and also to encompass things that aren't so much luxury items as time sinks (Homam, Perdu).

Edited, Jan 6th 2010 2:22am by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#36 Jan 06 2010 at 10:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
282 posts
Quote:
I know the user didnt input any shields but two that are worthy. He stated he didn't due to /nin sub.

1. +5 MB shield
2. Harpy Shield +3 MB +3 M acc "This one is godly" "this probably be as rare as gigant Mantle +80 hp

Clubs: Flan Smasher: +9 acc +9 atk +5 MB. Even if duel Weilding, one should pop this in for the 5 MB


If you're going to be nuking and not using two swords, use elemental staves. Also, the Avalon shield has +5 enmity and +10% damage taken. Bad choice.

Quote:
Throwing: +8 Magic accuracy This would put Goblin Cracker to shame.


Yeah, put AUREOLE on your list. Ninurta's Sash is on there, but it's pretty obviously ironic. One of those is enough.

Quote:

Legs: Missed a big one: SCNM La Verda orcs: +8 Charm +4MB Best Eyes on me casting item we can get +4mb for everything else


This actually is an excellent piece. He means Nimue's Tights, if you couldn't tell from the butchered...well, everything. It's +8 CHR, not Charm.

Quote:
Neck: Why do peopel want faith torque for mind blast? When it gives +5 mind. You can buy the beads off AH that give +6 Mind. and that item is not even on your list.


Probably because Ajari Beads are WHM/SMN only. Although it is messed up that people would lot on Faith over a MNK for the MND, when Morgana's Choker (which is on the list) is the same and far easier to get.

Edited, Jan 7th 2010 11:44am by mikauk
____________________________
Server: Bahamut
BRD 75 BLU 90 DNC 90 WHM 90 THF 75 WAR 40 NIN 90 SCH 45

#39 Jan 07 2010 at 2:49 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
randoff wrote:

1. +5 MB shield
2. Harpy Shield +3 MB +3 M acc "This one is godly" "this probably be as rare as gigant Mantle +80 hp

Clubs: Flan Smasher: +9 acc +9 atk +5 MB. Even if duel Weilding, one should pop this in for the 5 MB
None of those are especially interesting, mostly because you're giving up elemental staves for them.

Quote:
Rings
He did list bloodbeard ring but not Bomb Queen, what is actually better.
I did, actually. maybe you missed it because it's in the 41-60 section.

Quote:
Throwing: +8 Magic accuracy This would put Goblin Cracker to shame.
It doesn't. Aureole is a nuke piece, Goblin Cracker isn't.

Quote:
Feet: lloyl Clogs: if i spelled right: +4% Hp/MP: Breath builds, or a nice MP boost
Meh. I'll add them but to be frank I completely overlooked them.

Quote:
Legs: Missed a big one: SCNM La Verda orcs: +8 Charm +4MB Best Eyes on me casting item we can get +4mb for everything else
Again, overlooked. I'll take a look at other SCNM gear while I'm at it.

mikauk wrote:
Quote:
Neck: Why do peopel want faith torque for mind blast? When it gives +5 mind. You can buy the beads off AH that give +6 Mind. and that item is not even on your list.


Probably because Ajari Beads are WHM/SMN only. Although it is messed up that people would lot on Faith over a MNK for the MND, when Morgana's Choker (which is on the list) is the same and far easier to get.
Messed up indeed, but not everyone's into Einherjar -- so saying, Faith Torque is pretty **** near low priority all the same, just on the grounds that Mind Blast is a bit of a fringe spell.


randoff wrote:
Cool job on updates:

But Harpy shield/flan smasher make a good combo.

Savage Blade cannonball "light" Switch out swords put club harpy shield +8 MB +3 M acc.
Not really, Cannonball's physical, and you only do that combo for the sake of BLMs Magic Bursting -- as damage goes it's frankly terrible.

Quote:

Uggalepih Pendant +8 MB if used right. This again helps on eyes on me, mind blast and mysterious light.
True, but it's more of a BLM item, and considering we don't have as much MP as BLMs do, I think it's a tad dangerous to leave your MP that low. Arguably BLMs are in the same boat, but they generally nuke harder and more efficiently than we do. On top of that, the NM's a pain in the ****.
It's going in, but marked up as a fringe item all the same.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#41 Jan 07 2010 at 5:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
746 posts
Quote:
But put /sch there you get aspir + MP drainkiss and metalic body + subligation 300-500 MP. It is equal to a convert

While I do like /sch for nuking purposes. Sublimation is not equal to convert even with lolgalka mp. Useful yes, but nowhere near convert potential.

Quote:
I only say that harpy shield and flan smasher because the acc helps breaths and other spells land. and eyes on me and mysterious light are MB spells. I think mind blast 2.

But Elemental Staves have more.

Quote:
I only mention that for the +8 MB pendent. If you are going to get a brd mp song, refresh or subligation it can be useful in those means.

Uggy can be good, half mp is fine, just sleep or bind and rest for more after your nuke, no big deal.

Quote:
In WOTG era most mobs are not tp friendly to feed tp. So nukes do work well.

Lol nobody cares about tp feeding unless its like a crazy HNM.
#42 Jan 07 2010 at 10:20 AM Rating: Default
**
817 posts
well, i guess some people won't agree, but i don't think Homam Zucchetto should be considered as "crap gear"...

while it obviously isn't that great, i think it's a quite decent, having only stats that could help blu.

****, if you could take only one hat with you, this one should be in the top since it can help in almost everything...

and while it require limbus to get, this piece drop fairly often on omega, and little jobs have good use for it(blu is probably the job that get the most of it), so it's kinda easy to get.

edit : well, i knew it wasn't a good idea to say it(crap, i'm going to continue)...
i still think this piece don't belong to the "crap gears", i mean, crap gears should be things that are useless or bad...
the fact there are better options doesn't make it a gear "to avoid", to put it in the same category as the bronze subligar is either elitism or stupidity...
i'd rather have a blu wearing that than fulltime anwig/magus/dusk/cobra or even using w.turban but missing(well, i guess at that point 4 acc wouldn't help much).
i'm probably just not that impressed by "zomg 2 more haste" on turban.(not like i merit with my blu anyway).

Edited, Jan 7th 2010 10:11pm by DarkBiBi
#43 Jan 07 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
**
513 posts
Re. the discussion of MND neckpieces:

Promise Badge is a nice supplement for those MND-based spells. Level 48, HP+10, MND+5. No need to ***** over those MNKs!

Very nice guide. ^^
____________________________
RDM BLM DNC DRK WHM

Like attracts like.
#44 Jan 07 2010 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
DarkBiBi wrote:
well, i guess some people won't agree, but i don't think Homam Zucchetto should be considered as "crap gear"...

while it obviously isn't that great, i think it's a quite decent, having only stats that could help blu.

****, if you could take only one hat with you, this one should be in the top since it can help in almost everything...

and while it require limbus to get, this piece drop fairly often on omega, and little jobs have good use for it(blu is probably the job that get the most of it), so it's kinda easy to get.
This was addressed further up. W.Turban and O.Hat stomp it flat for melee use, and as far as magic goes, I think the only time it would see use is if you're trying to use MP Drainkiss, or do something without a staff (for the former, it may well turn into a case of "why bother", and for the latter, it's probably better to just go with a mod-booster anyways even if you can't use a staff for whatever reason)

Secretkeeper wrote:
Re. the discussion of MND neckpieces:

Promise Badge is a nice supplement for those MND-based spells. Level 48, HP+10, MND+5. No need to ***** over those MNKs!

Very nice guide. ^^
Brain ****, thanks for reminding me.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#45 Jan 07 2010 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
374 posts
Might I suggest Volunteer's Brais which isnt a bad sidegrade until you get something better.
____________________________
Frigian
Blu Brd Dnc Pld Bst Rng LVL 90

"If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked long ago."
#46 Jan 07 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
743 posts
Been wanting one of these for ages. Awesome work that has been duly bookmarked.
____________________________
Retired

10,000 Pages wrote:
Kaolian is become death; destroyer of all fun and good times.

Johnny Cash wrote:
Faith, it's like a flower of light in a field of darkness giving me the strength to carry on.
#47 Jan 07 2010 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,722 posts
DarkBiBi wrote:
well, i guess some people won't agree, but i don't think Homam Zucchetto should be considered as "crap gear"...

while it obviously isn't that great,


If it's not great, why consider it?

Quote:
i think it's a quite decent, having only stats that could help blu.


All but one of those stats help my PLD, too, but I still prefer Walahra/O-hat combo.

DarkBiBi wrote:
****, if you could take only one hat with you, this one should be in the top since it can help in almost everything...


This is my least favorite argument. Any one serious about a job should have the inventory to carry what's needed. If you only have one slot for your head... Give up on another job, increase your inventory, or invest in a mule to make room for gear that helps FAR more often and better than this piece does. The main use for this is the M.Acc on it, and I'm sure there's even better choices for that.

DarkBiBi wrote:
and while it require limbus to get, this piece drop fairly often on omega, and little jobs have good use for it(blu is probably the job that get the most of it), so it's kinda easy to get.


Easy to get compared to Walahra? Not really. I was in a weird boat when I got to 75 (after ToAU, during the beginning of WotG, but mostly sync'd) and I didn't have hardly any IS (exactly enough to get the turban, actually... it emptied my account), but I still did it my first night. Even as a rot drop, most shells only do an Omega once a month (yes, it's possible to do more... my experience is that most don't). That's still some time commitment. It's also a piece I'd laugh at someone for merc'ing for. It's only slightly easier than O-hat, and that's just because it's a PITA to find people willing to help you get it.

Edit: Quote Fail

Edited, Jan 7th 2010 6:19pm by Dracoth
#48 Jan 07 2010 at 8:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
i stopped reading pretty early on in the guide (because i really disagree with some of the comments especially at 75, where everything comes together), but honestly i'm happy you attempted a blu equip guide as there was never really a very good one hosted here and i applaud your effort.

from scanning suggestions i would concur that you might refrain from harshly rating circumstantial pieces, as blu is likely king of the "shit is situational" rule.

sure there are easily identifiable key pieces for most slots, but with all that blu is capable of, and assuming you intend to maximize the potential of every spell at your disposal, there's a shitload of gear that fills niches here and there.

perhaps that was why a good guide was lacking before this, hmm?




as an example, quick footnote to the zuchetto argument i noted reading dracoth's post when i posted, is a prime example of what i mean.

for spells that macc is a relevant stat, how could you possibly deny that it is a good piece? i use it for stuns, sleeps, drains, enfeebles, etc. with appropriate +stat and/or stave given circumstances. i'd even go as far to include morrigan's, nashira, and diana's, but that's just me. and that's just one stat on one piece of gear, heh.

ok, hopefully last edit for a while til i see a response, went hunting through my spellcast to see sets i defined and what i personally would like to see included in a comprehensive blu guide:

tp set
ws set
cannonball
big 3
macc
cures
mnd nukes
int nukes
chr nukes
breath spells

now i don't know if that's what your guide intended to accomplish, but with the help of the blu forum i think it could certainly become that.

Edited, Jan 7th 2010 7:31pm by gaira
#49 Jan 07 2010 at 10:40 PM Rating: Default
Maybe divisor ring should be add to the list
#50 Jan 07 2010 at 11:52 PM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
gaira wrote:
as an example, quick footnote to the zuchetto argument i noted reading dracoth's post when i posted, is a prime example of what i mean.

for spells that macc is a relevant stat, how could you possibly deny that it is a good piece? i use it for stuns, sleeps, drains, enfeebles, etc. with appropriate +stat and/or stave given circumstances. i'd even go as far to include morrigan's, nashira, and diana's, but that's just me. and that's just one stat on one piece of gear, heh.


Since you're referencing my post, I'll assume you're only talking about the second one. Reread my first post (where I was more concise) and the tone of the second one (where I was replying to why it shouldn't be fulltimed).

Specifically, from my first post:

Dracoth wrote:
The only thing redeeming on the Zucchetto is the M.Acc, but that's macro only. You shouldn't be tp'ing int this head piece.
#51 Jan 08 2010 at 12:08 AM Rating: Decent
**
447 posts
Dracoth wrote:
gaira wrote:
as an example, quick footnote to the zuchetto argument i noted reading dracoth's post when i posted, is a prime example of what i mean.

for spells that macc is a relevant stat, how could you possibly deny that it is a good piece? i use it for stuns, sleeps, drains, enfeebles, etc. with appropriate +stat and/or stave given circumstances. i'd even go as far to include morrigan's, nashira, and diana's, but that's just me. and that's just one stat on one piece of gear, heh.


Since you're referencing my post, I'll assume you're only talking about the second one. Reread my first post (where I was more concise) and the tone of the second one (where I was replying to why it shouldn't be fulltimed).

Specifically, from my first post:

Dracoth wrote:
The only thing redeeming on the Zucchetto is the M.Acc, but that's macro only. You shouldn't be tp'ing int this head piece.


conceded, but my main point was that we should definitely not exclude situational pieces that are very good at what they do.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (1)