Something I've been thinking about doing for a while now is creating a comprehensive guide for present day PUPs, seeing as most other guides available for the job are outdated and don't reflect some of our more recent (and in the case of Automaton A.I. and the attachment buffs, lifechanging) updates. As someone who has been playing PUP for quite some time, even I can say that finding specific information on the job can be tough, and I think a good general resource should be something available to aspiring players of any job--especially PUPs, as many people don't understand the job at all (something I discussed recently in the General forum).
The purpose of this guide would be:
1. To give new PUPs a one-stop resource for beginner/intermediate/advanced information
2. To inform non-PUPs who wish to understand the job better
3. To help dispel some of the myths surrounded outdated data
Some topics I plan on covering and/or will need to find answers to (partial list):
- Basic data regarding the job: stats, how maneuvers work, frames, etc.
- General useful information, including soloing as PUP, how to reach 99 and what to do once you're there, subjob selection, frame selection, etc.
- Attachment information including hard data, how to acquire, uses, etc.
- What are some recommended gear sets for PUP (general use, tp set, haste, pet haste, eva, healing) What situations would each set be useful in? What other types of sets are worth building?
- Are any of the +2 mat NMs soloable or tankable in a party setup (seems like keeping hate might be an issue for the latter)? Does the set bonus from the Cirque +2 set make it worth using over other gear sets?
- Which atmas are worthwhile for PUP to have and what situations are they useful in?
- Which subs are worthwhile for PUP to have and what situations are they useful in?
- PUP seems to have some neat tricks with the puppet. Some I've heard mentioned on Alla before are "enmity dumping" and "deaggroing." How exactly are these performed?
- Other general information needed. E.G.: What are some fast ways for a PUP to claim a mob? What are some good ways for a PUP to keep or manage hate?
- Attachment setups needed. What setups are good for nuking? Soloing? DD? Etc.
- List of PUP triggers (for WSs, attachments usage, etc).
- Lesser known, yet good to know information about PUP
- Links to good PUP threads (the PUP main healing thread, the PUP Dynamis farming thread, etc.)
While I know a decent bit about PUP, I don't claim to know everything, and I doubt I'd even be considered one of the better members on this forum--I'm just your friendly neighborhood PUP trying to give back to a community that has helped me improve so much as a player. With that said, any help with this project would be appreciated: if any veteran PUPs on the board would be so kind as to correct errors/inaccuracies, point out things I've forgotten to mention, help with the more technical math, or post any kind of useful comments, it would be greatly appreciated.
However, before I start on this, I need to ask: is this something my fellow puppeteers would be interested in seeing? I plan on putting a lot of work into it, but I don't want that to be wasted time if the interest in the guide isn't there.