1
Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Tarutaru PLDFollow

#1 Jun 06 2009 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
28 posts
What stats should we focus on? VIT like everyone else? or is there some special tactic to being a pld taru?
#2 Jun 06 2009 at 7:48 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,722 posts
Play like most every other PLD. I strongly recommend DD style even from the lowly level of 10 (I've been doing it sync'd, even though I was traditional for a long time). Here's my DD PLD guide. If you want to play the traditional route, look in the sticky for the other guides. If you don't go DD from the beginning, make sure you at least try it out once you start hitting the 50's and move over to ToAU areas.

As a Taru, the biggest asset you have is a larger mp pool. Use it, and you'll do fine.
#3 Jun 06 2009 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
****
6,964 posts
Smiley: banghead
#4 Jun 06 2009 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
28 posts
cool ok thanks
#5 Jun 06 2009 at 10:16 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,154 posts
Peachgirl wrote:
What stats should we focus on? VIT like everyone else? or is there some special tactic to being a pld taru?


No one focuses on vit anymore......unless they plain don't know wtf they're doing.
#6 Jun 07 2009 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
**
383 posts
Asdrabael wrote:
Peachgirl wrote:
What stats should we focus on? VIT like everyone else? or is there some special tactic to being a pld taru?


No one focuses on vit anymore......unless they plain don't know wtf they're doing.


Quoted for Truth.
Defensively, focus on shield. Any time you're /war tanking, Shield Skill is your best friend. Avoid overcamping, and gear offensively to control hate more effectively.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#7 Jun 07 2009 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
Asdrabael wrote:
Peachgirl wrote:
What stats should we focus on? VIT like everyone else? or is there some special tactic to being a pld taru?


No one focuses on vit anymore......unless they plain don't know wtf they're doing.


Looks like 90% of my server doesn't know what they're doing. >_>
____________________________

#8 Jun 07 2009 at 6:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
743 posts
Quote:
Looks like 90% of my server doesn't know what they're doing. >_>


Yeah, just because everyone does it doesn't make it right though.
Why do I sound like a drug commercial?
____________________________
Retired

10,000 Pages wrote:
Kaolian is become death; destroyer of all fun and good times.

Johnny Cash wrote:
Faith, it's like a flower of light in a field of darkness giving me the strength to carry on.
#9 Jun 07 2009 at 7:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,722 posts
Dynas wrote:
Quote:
Looks like 90% of my server doesn't know what they're doing. >_>


Yeah, just because everyone does it doesn't make it right though.
Why do I sound like a drug commercial?


Que the more you know picture, stat!
#10 Jun 07 2009 at 7:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
516 posts
Quote:
Looks like 90% of my server doesn't know what they're doing. >_>


Real QFT.
#11 Jun 09 2009 at 7:35 AM Rating: Excellent
**
619 posts
Taru's best asset: MP
Taru's largest hindrance: HP

In exp 1-75, you should have no problems as a taru PLD, except maybe if you get an unlucky Sickle Slash, or Incinerate [no one ever wants to fight anything but colibri though.]

In endgame, HP will be your only issue, but not one that cannot be overcome. I have 1800 hp as Elvaan PLD/NIN. Byakko can get me low very quickly. That is the only thing that might be a problem. However, the main issue is ANY badass PLD will get killed if the backline/support jobs suck ***. A good timely stun, a quick WHM, having haste/marchx2, and a good co-tank makes ANY RACE of PLD much better than if the backline is afk looking at ****. You should be fine as taru PLD if you and your backline play adequately.

Edited, Jun 9th 2009 11:35am by Palides
____________________________
BANNED
#12 Jun 09 2009 at 8:21 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,154 posts
Palides wrote:
Taru's best asset: MP
Taru's largest hindrance: HP

In exp 1-75, you should have no problems as a taru PLD, except maybe if you get an unlucky Sickle Slash, or Incinerate [no one ever wants to fight anything but colibri though.]

In endgame, HP will be your only issue, but not one that cannot be overcome. I have 1800 hp as Elvaan PLD/NIN. Byakko can get me low very quickly. That is the only thing that might be a problem. However, the main issue is ANY badass PLD will get killed if the backline/support jobs suck ***. A good timely stun, a quick WHM, having haste/marchx2, and a good co-tank makes ANY RACE of PLD much better than if the backline is afk looking at ****. You should be fine as taru PLD if you and your backline play adequately.

Edited, Jun 9th 2009 11:35am by Palides


Without focusing on HP, my taru paladin idles in 1390 hp now before food and its never been a problem on any mob in the game. We had this argument a couple months ago in detail about taru hp. Scroll back 2-3 pages.
#13 Jun 09 2009 at 10:29 AM Rating: Excellent
**
619 posts
Myself wrote:
In endgame, HP will be your only issue, but not one that cannot be overcome.


You didn't read the post at all, eh? lol

Does having the lowest HP hurt taru's in taking endgame? No.

Does it help to have higher HP for ENM loss, and annoying TP moves/Citadel Buster/-agaIV etc, etc? Yes. [and this can be accomplished via gear swaps.

Can Taru PLD tank anything a Galka/Elvaan can tank? Yes.

Never said it would be tough, just a little harder for a brand new Taru PLD, not a taru PLD as well geared and experienced as yourself.

Edited, Jun 9th 2009 2:33pm by Palides
____________________________
BANNED
#14 Jun 10 2009 at 4:27 PM Rating: Decent
28 posts
Palides wrote:
Taru's best asset: MP
Taru's largest hindrance: HP

In exp 1-75, you should have no problems as a taru PLD, except maybe if you get an unlucky Sickle Slash, or Incinerate [no one ever wants to fight anything but colibri though.]

In endgame, HP will be your only issue, but not one that cannot be overcome. I have 1800 hp as Elvaan PLD/NIN. Byakko can get me low very quickly. That is the only thing that might be a problem. However, the main issue is ANY badass PLD will get killed if the backline/support jobs suck ***. A good timely stun, a quick WHM, having haste/marchx2, and a good co-tank makes ANY RACE of PLD much better than if the backline is afk looking at ****. You should be fine as taru PLD if you and your backline play adequately.

Edited, Jun 9th 2009 11:35am by Palides


Thank you for giving me an explicit answer instead of telling me how dumb i am for asking like everyone else has.
#15 Jun 10 2009 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
Dracoth wrote:
Dynas wrote:
Quote:
Looks like 90% of my server doesn't know what they're doing. >_>


Yeah, just because everyone does it doesn't make it right though.
Why do I sound like a drug commercial?


Que the more you know picture, stat!


Done.
Screenshot


I find the taru "advantage" of more max mp to be overrated. Outside of the first initial 5 mins, max mp is meaningless. It's all about the mp recovery rate and no race has an advantage there. AS more max HP, now that pld/nin has been perfected, a lot of the "deadly TP moves" can be negated by shadows, so HP really isn't much of a factor. But, there are some moves, like Citadel Buster that are must easier to survive with more HP. Then again, no matter what you do or how much HP you got, **** hits the fan sometimes and you die. There ain't much you can do to survive a 2.4k attack

But outside endgame, taru plds should focus on what other plds do: acc, haste and shield skill. By the time you reach endgame, hopefully you'll have a feel as to what you need to focus on.
____________________________
Kojiami wrote:
Sometime it's just hard to believe how stupid people are.


Yes, I agree.
#16 Jul 05 2009 at 2:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
HP isn't an issue for me. However, I eat Carbonara to make up for my disadvantage.

With my usual tank setup with Carbonara, I idle at about 1420 HP and 670 MP.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#17 Jul 05 2009 at 2:40 AM Rating: Default
Whats this about no one focuses on VIT anymore? Is that not why people wear Koenig gear?
____________________________
Steveo- 75war/75rdm/65pld. Steveosr- 60sam/60drg/57blu.
Unicorn- If anyone from the LS "The Followers" is still around look me up please.
#18 Jul 05 2009 at 7:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
795 posts
Quote:
Whats this about no one focuses on VIT anymore? Is that not why people wear Koenig gear?


/facepalm
____________________________
85 DNC BLU SAM
80 DRG RDM
75 Pld Nin Drk Thf

RETIRED

#19 Jul 05 2009 at 8:26 AM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
You should focus on haste and Atonement TP like everyone else.

As far as HP goes I vary a bit depending on what I'm doing. In Sky I usually have 1530hp idle as a hume vs anything that can kill me if something goes wrong (Kirin, Byakko, Suzy). A DRK/NIN in +dmg taken gear tould tank Genbu or Seiryu as well as I could.

Overall just be a little more careful than your Elvaan buddies when swapping gear that will lower your hp. Find some numbers you feel comfortable with vs any actual dangerous NM and don't swap below that.
____________________________
Yash Nahain - Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te, DoM / Goldsmith
Ghostface Spidercarpet - Highland Hyur, Gladiator / Armorer
Don't know which one to keep yet.....
#20 Jul 05 2009 at 9:12 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
steveosr wrote:
Whats this about no one focuses on VIT anymore? Is that not why people wear Koenig gear?
no, it's not why people wear Koenig gear, people wear Koenig gear because they're morons
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#21 Jul 05 2009 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,960 posts
Lucinus wrote:
steveosr wrote:
Whats this about no one focuses on VIT anymore? Is that not why people wear Koenig gear?
no, it's not why people wear Koenig gear, people wear Koenig gear because they're morons
Slight derail. It seems some VIT PLDs on my server were Moogle Bonanza winners. Saw a couple PLDs equipped with Hauteclaires along with Knightly Mantles, Unyielding Rings, Ritter Shields, Drone Earrings and etc...

/facepalm
____________________________
Siralin the Vile wrote:
Zisa doesn't need to drug ******** ******* come to Zisa.

75DRG/75PLD 3/24/04-12/24/08, 6/1/09-??/??/??
#22 Jul 05 2009 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,722 posts
Doesn't mean they were Bonanza winners, but it certainly doesn't help our case much...
#23 Jul 05 2009 at 3:46 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
I won Rank 3, but I chose the BCD voucher for my SCH.

You wouldn't believe how many people berated me for not getting a Hauteclaire. To put it simply... it's a situational /WAR piece and I wasn't going to benefit by having one.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#24 Jul 05 2009 at 7:15 PM Rating: Default
***
2,154 posts
Its more than a situational /war piece. Its pretty much a situational "anytime you're not spamming tp" piece, which can be quite a few situations depending on the support you have available and the mob in question.

Joy and beavertail aren't the only 2 useful pld swords in the game anymore, and atonement doesn't rule every single fight in every single situation. I'd be berating you too.

Edited, Jul 5th 2009 10:15pm by Asdrabael
#25 Jul 05 2009 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
I don't know about you, but considering how I'm PLD/NIN most of the time, -7% Physical Damage Taken is next to useless because of shadows. The Enmity+4 from the Chainsaw +1 is much more effective for my play style.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#26 Jul 06 2009 at 4:26 AM Rating: Good
***
2,154 posts
Tyjet wrote:
I don't know about you, but considering how I'm PLD/NIN most of the time, -7% Physical Damage Taken is next to useless because of shadows. The Enmity+4 from the Chainsaw +1 is much more effective for my play style.


I don't know about you, but I'm /nin most of the time too and if you can notice +4 enmity that much then you're doing something wrong.

Saying haute is useless when it has -7 damage and +7 accuracy (still good for building tp on fights you can't spam tp on for chivalry) when compared to beavertail with +4 enmity and -4 accuracy is like saying shadow mantle is useless when you already have High Breath Mantle. Enmity isn't always useful, even while /nin.

Considering the glut of enmity you can get in literally every single other slot, it makes haute the better sword for any mob you're not using joyeuse on. ***** situational, but unless you're kiting then beavertail is mostly a piece of **** if you have a haute. You can get tons of enmity, its harder to get -physical damage.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (1)