I recently reactivated FFXI and got my MNK to 90 and fully merited it in no time thanks to the increase in number of merits held. I want to focus on my BST now, and everything's changed since I last played BST properly years ago. I barely have any merits in BST, I have no idea how my gear ranks now and I've no idea what atma work with BST. I just need a few pointers on gear and stuff before I head into Abyssea with my BST; I don't like feeling gimped.
1. So, magian axes will obviously be the thing for BST since every job seems to have at least one awesome magian weapon. Which path(s) are the ones to shoot for if I want a good DD axe?
2. Atma, which ones? I only have Razed Ruins at the moment. For my MNK I will be getting Gnarled Horn and maybe Stout Arm for my MNK soon and I'm sure they could be of at least some use.
3. I have literally no idea what gear is like for BST anymore. I have no Reward set, WS set, Charm set (is it even needed any more?) etc. Would my old setup of Woods/Maneater, Haubergeon, Sniper's, Dusk hands/feet, Amemet +1, Life Belt, PCC and some other stuff I can't recall be decent enough in Abyssea until I get to Perle set?
4. Jugs, which are standard now? Is it the Sheep or the Rabbit which has replaced our old CC? I see both a lot.
5. Finally, merits. I never got around to doing these in the old days since exp took too long and I had other commitments. What are the standard merits for BST? Axe, BA...? Reward? Call Beast? At the moment I have 1 in Feral Howl, a couple in Beast Affinity and... that's it.
Anyway, long post and it's late so sorry if some of this stuff is elsewhere and I've missed it. I'm sure it is but as a returning player... All this Abyssea sh... stuff, is very confusing for me. Thanks.
1. You can go for damage axes like any other job, dual wield, high damage + Oa2/3/4 axe... however You'll get much more mileage out of the elemental axes. The most usefuly being, earth, wind, and water for pet -pdt, pet eva, and pet -mdt.
atma: You have ALOT of options.
Regen: Vicissitude, Mounted Champion, Stronghold, Sea Daughter - These are Fantastic for pet eating damage and keep going.
EVA: Cloak and Dagger, Siren's Shadow, (Gnarled Horn has nice agi bonus also)
RR is great for everything that melees
Damage reduction: Ducal guard, Winged Gloom, Heavens, Tremors
You can actually accomplish 100% damage reduction for your pet for either or both physical AND magical damage. You will have a hard time doing damage to kill many HeroesNM's but you can hold one forever.
3> GEAR: At this point you have no need for a charm set. Your atma will matter more than your gear. What you have is fine until you get perle. After perle you mainly want you AF3+ set. It is the foundation of a great TP set and the hands/feet are good WS pieces. Otherwise refer to bst haste options thread for tp. and you can gear for WS much like other jobs.
4: nazuna is the standard replacement for cc... mainly because its cheap and always available. Nazuna is a solid standard, and perhaps the best vit/hp for tanking. However, we have alot more options now than before. Yuly IS THE BOMB. Yuly is our own person thf in all the best ways. Treasure hunter, and EVA tanking. You can take ALOT of NM"s w/ Yuly that you can't do any other way. Lynx, Eft, and Raptor are our best dd. They move fast (lynx and raptor) and they hit hard. Lulush is good reliable dd w/ a AoE healing support, almost like having a dnc w/ you. Otherwise for tanking, often the elemental resistance of the pet makes a great difference: for fire use Lizard, for Water: Leech, DArk: funguar. There is a very noticeable difference.
5: Call Beat recast 5/5. Next is a toss up between reward recast and Sic/ready recast. The group 2merits are not very clear cut and just choose what you prefer. Beast Affinity might be very needed at level 99, but so far we don't see any caps on the 76+ jugs (might be close on the 76's but can't tell yet)