1
Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Omnibus GOP Primary ThreadFollow

#802 Feb 21 2012 at 11:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,364 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
I'm still assuming that the crazies are in the minority here, even if one of them is trying to become president.


Your optimism is cute. Smiley: smile

Anyway, I'm drinking cold coffee because the Mrs. figured I didn't need fresh stuff today as I didn't finish the pot off yesterday. How are you and that girl doing anyway? Smiley: jester
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#803 Feb 21 2012 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,051 posts
Elinda wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
catwho wrote:
They're rich white rednecks there.
What, like they have triple-wide trailers?

With above ground swimming pools.


No need, most of them are on Lake Lanier. They have a natural swimming pool in their backyards.

What's funny is that the lake levels have been sucky ever since the big drought of '08, so half of the private docks weren't long enough and ended up beached. Boats were abandoned at the side of the road. People still had their half a million dollar* lake homes, but there was a lot less of an actual lake to match.

(*These would be million dollar lake homes in other states, but this is GA. Housing prices outside of Atlanta are always half of what they are in other states, even affluent areas.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#804 Feb 21 2012 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,668 posts
How short ware the docks or how shallow is the lake?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#805 Feb 21 2012 at 1:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,051 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
How short ware the docks or how shallow is the lake?


Short short, and 150ish feet. Artificial lake reservoir, and all. The drought brought the lake 15 feet below normal level at its worst.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#806 Feb 21 2012 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Go go power of incumbency!
Quote:
The volatile Republican presidential primary has given President Obama an opportunity to take full advantage of an incumbent's fundraising advantage, according to The Fix.

"Obama's campaign had $76 million cash on hand at the end of the month; the four GOP candidates had less than $13 million combined. Even better for Obama is the fact that Romney's opponents closed the fundraising gap significantly, which will reduce Romney's spending advantage going forward."

Meanwhile, The Hill notes that Mitt Romney started January "with $19.9 million on hand and ended it with $7.7 million in the bank, as expenditures were nearly triple the amount the campaign was able to raise... The pro-Romney super-PAC, Restore Our Future, which by law cannot coordinate with the campaign, also announced its January fundraising figures on Monday, taking in nearly $7 million while spending twice that amount."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#807 Feb 22 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,858 posts
Romney isn't the kind of candidate to run without funds. He relies too much on organizational efficiency, and not making horrible @#%^ ups, rather than inspired rhetoric.
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
#808 Feb 22 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Romney is relying primarily on handful of people with deep pockets. His small donor numbers are atrocious. He always has self-funding as an option though.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#809 Feb 22 2012 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,858 posts
I don't doubt he could pack it in for post election favors, but there is the assumption of victory needed to tap that well. It's not happening before the primary is locked up.
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
#810 Feb 24 2012 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,073 posts
I liked when Romney pretty much said "Fuck your question, I'm answering what I want" to the moderator of last night's debate.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#811 Feb 24 2012 at 8:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The ads write themselves:
Political Wire wrote:
The Wall Street Journal reports that Mitt Romney is "tapping experts in the moderate camp of GOP economics to help him craft a meatier campaign message," drawing heavily from President George W. Bush's former economic advisers.

Among the economists advising the campaign are Glenn Hubbard and Gregory Mankiw, who both served as chairmen of the president's Council of Economic Advisers in Bush's administration. Hubbard, who helped craft the Bush tax cuts, also was the architect behind Romney's latest tax initiatives.

If there's any economic team I want running the show, it's the one that led us directly into the 2008 crash and recession.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#812 Feb 24 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
I liked when Romney pretty much said "Fuck your question, I'm answering what I want" to the moderator of last night's debate.

That's every debate with every candidate to varying degrees. I'd love it if the moderators would hold their feet to the fire over it or cut their mic when they start filibustering about some unrelated topic but that'll never happen. Candidates want the face time and networks want the TV ratings.

It was a little telling that Romney attacked Santorum over Bush policies like No Child Left Behind. And a little bizarre now that Romney would attack Bush's social policies and then align himself with Bush's economic team.

Edited, Feb 24th 2012 10:44am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#813 Feb 27 2012 at 7:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Tomorrow is AZ and MI primaries. Romney is, to the surprise of no one, expected to do very well in Arizona where Santorum hasn't put my effort at all since it's winner-takes-all and no prize for second place.

Michigan may be a nail-biter. After Santorum held a hefty lead, Romney retook it and then seems to have backslid a bit (or Santorum re-surged). The latest round of polls read like a lesson in "margin of error":
PPP: Romney +2
Mitchell Research: Santorum +2
ARG: Santorum +1
Rasmussen: Romney +2

"We Ask America" has Romney up by four which sounds like an outlier at this point. And PPP was tweeting tonight that their last minute polling is looking "encouraging" for Santorum. Yes, I get tweets from PPP. It's better than Kim Kardashian.

Romney had what I think may be the first "let me tell you a childhood tale that's not true" moment of the season: Talking about how he was four years old and vividly remembered his father being the grandmaster of the Golden Jubilee parade to celebrate fifty years of automotive manufacturing in the United States. Unfortunately, said parade happened nine months before Romney was born.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#814 Feb 27 2012 at 8:03 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
paper here (think it was the sun) had Santorum by 3.5% in a poll, so assuming both are extreme opposites could be a close race in Michigan. I think its going to be a tight race, not that either has a chance to beat Obama, but it is still good drama.


Sun is toronto sun (so Reuters or AP article usually)



Edited, Feb 27th 2012 9:04pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#815 Feb 27 2012 at 8:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Santorum is running robo-calls in MI asking Democrats to vote for him tomorrow (open primary; anyone can vote on any ticket).
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#816 Feb 27 2012 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,129 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Santorum is running robo-calls in MI asking Democrats to vote for him tomorrow (open primary; anyone can vote on any ticket).



Because he appeals to the Democrat base so well. So, so well.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#817 Feb 27 2012 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
His campaign defended it by saying his message of fiscal responsibility speaks to Reagan Democrats.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#818 Feb 27 2012 at 8:30 PM Rating: Good
Will swallow your soul
******
28,129 posts
And his message of social control, too, I suppose. Just not the kind of control Dems usually espouse. More fascist than communist, and all that.

"Join us! Prosperity comes from controlling the women!"

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#819 Feb 27 2012 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
In America, first you get the delegates, then you get the nomination, then you get the women.

Edited, Feb 27th 2012 8:34pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#820 Feb 27 2012 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
******
43,073 posts
Effective short term tactic. A lot of people will probably vote for him simply because they don't want Romney on the ticket. Not so good when many of those people don't want him to be President, though.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#821 Feb 27 2012 at 8:38 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,021 posts
Jophiel wrote:
In America, first you get the delegates khakis, then you get the nomination, then you get the women.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#822 Feb 27 2012 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,073 posts
I'm pretty sure a "see your enemies driven before you" goes in there somewhere.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#823 Feb 27 2012 at 8:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,129 posts
I dunno about the lamentations of their wimminz. I think what you'd have is a bunch of newly created feminists milling around in your brand new Re-Education for Jebus camps.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#824 Feb 27 2012 at 8:46 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,073 posts
We call that "The Kitchen."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#825 Feb 27 2012 at 8:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,129 posts
"And over here is the Sammich Room, for when our residents need a time-out to reconnect with their secondary function."

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#826 Feb 27 2012 at 8:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
...secondary? Smiley: confused
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#827 Feb 27 2012 at 8:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,129 posts
That's true, I guess you generally have more sammiches than babies.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#828 Feb 27 2012 at 8:57 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,073 posts
Don't have to talk about your feelings with a sammich. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#829 Feb 27 2012 at 9:03 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,021 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Don't have to talk about your feelings with a sammich. Smiley: schooled

On the other hand, I can say without a doubt that I've said "I love you" to more Italian beef sandwiches than women.

In before "Italian beef" homo joke.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#830 Feb 27 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
PPP Has Santorum up +5 if they only count Monday night responses. +1 for the two day average. Momentum might be going back Santorum's way.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#831 Feb 28 2012 at 8:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
147 posts
Smasharoo wrote:

The reason no Republicans take Ron Paul seriously as a candidate is because he's not a Republican. He's a real Libertarian


Of course he isn't. He's the sort of abject political opportunist who makes crazy oversimplifications of complex issues for personal profit (yes even moreso than other candidates). He's just in it for the fame, and mostly, the money.

Why does no one take him seriously? Because he's not running for President of the United States. He's running for President of the Self Righteous Neck-beards With Too Much Money. He's a Republican, he votes like any other Republican, he gets whipped like any other Republican. He raises a lot of money (that he later, you know, pockets) from internet donors because he's struck a particularly rich vein of oversimplification that appeals to marginally successful people who are convinced of their own genius.

They're a weird and fickle lot, these idiots who think things like fractional reserve banking is a bad idea and that 10 year olds should be able to buy pharmaceutical grade Heroin from vending machines. They latch on to a fellow though, I'll give them that. It used to be harder. Lyndon Larouche had to print leaflets and publish whacko books. Ross Perot had the brilliant idea of making oversimplified charts to explain his unworkable oversimplified rhetoric. Paul has had the good fortune of having been anointed without really trying.

Let's look at the archetype he represents, and it's clearly an archetype. I'll call it the "Frustrated Wise Gnome." What are the key characteristics that let you build this persona that the soft minded so identify with? It's simple really.

1. A FWG must be ordinary looking and socially awkward. Ugly is allowed, but average will do. Dennis Kucinich, Ralph Nader, the aforementioned Hercule Ross Pierrot (you're welcome, Sam) etc.

2. A FWG must be consistent with his whacko rhetoric. The great squishy headed minority value consistency very highly. After all the answers are simple, why would you change your mind?

3. A FWG must either seem perpetually amazed that what he proposes doesn't happen, OR have an elaborate conspiracy theory why, either attached to him post hoc, or that he propagates himself. Ideally, both, of course. And most ideally, the FWG is a blank slate softies can project their own craziness on.

4. A FWG must obviously have no real hope of victory, but must continue to campaign and spread his "message" regardless. Rarely a problem given the money involved when one catches on.

5. Oh, right, should go without saying, but white male. The vastness of the soft mildly successful class is composed of white men.

Paul ticks all the boxes. Easy, completely impossible solution for every problem, that if ever tested would lead to disaster, but that will never be tested because...well they obviously lead to disaster. Ordinary looking, socially awkward, committed to ideas (except when told to vote the opposite way), easy to project whatever you want onto, he's really the whole FWG package. He lacks the broader appeal of a Perot, which is probably good for him, long term. The FWG star burns out quickly if exposed to too much reality. It's best if it hovers at the edges.

As for his actual positions, who gives a @#%^? He's a character actor, not a leading man. It's cute that his son was elected a Senator, but that's about the end of the family dynasty. The best we can hope for future amusement from the family is that his kid has a son and names him Paul.


I'm logging in for the first time in years just to point out that you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.

I'll preface this by saying that while the man isn't perfect, what he says is logical and makes a lot of sense. It appears you honestly have a gross misconception of Paul's policies (which is funny, I notice you fail to site any sources aside from self-proclaimed pseudo-intellectualism).

First, let's point out the fact that you want to bash Ron Paul's voting record?

http://www.votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/296/

Because we know how Republicans all voted against the Patriot Act, its extension, the Iraq war, and so on, right? I mean, unless you're cool with war now? You seemed pretty pissed off about the Iraq war and the eroding of our civil liberties in 2004 during Bush v Kerry, in fact I respected you because of your anti-Bush and anti-war rhetoric. It seems I was wrong, you're just the counterweight to gbaji, both loyal to your parties that stand for the same thing, making the bankers and big executives richer at the expense of the middle class. To be honest, I would accuse the two of you of being trolls, since I find it hard to believe that people could be that fanatical about their own parties.

Tell me, what's your opinion on the fact that the NDAA provision was signed into law authorizing detaining and/or assassinating US citizens on US soil with no due process or representation of an attorney? Land of the free, home of the brave indeed!

Next we have the gold standard. You seem to think that Paul wants to just shut down the federal reserve overnight, which isn't the case. His plan is to phase out the federal reserve by authorizing competing commodity-based currency. Why are you okay with an independent bank lending us our own money with interest? They're the reason we have most of the national debt, they're the reason why the dollar is falling so hard. When in doubt, print, that's what Bernanke stands for!

I mean, unless you believe fiat currency is viable and that Keynesian economics are legitimate, I would absolutely love to hear your fact-based arguments against it?

But of course, the democrats disillusioned with Obama (you know, the ones that actually stand for something, (unlike Newt Gingrich or others...), the active military troops, college students who have been continuously @#%^ed over by the baby boomers, college grads who are finding out that there are no jobs do support his ideas. Those are the people who are supporting him, not because he's saying stuff that's different (if you want a crazy, that's what Herman Cain was for!), it's because what he's saying is logical - the man's an economic scholar, predicted the economic collapse and housing bubble (common sense, so why wasn't it stopped?) bursting back in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM


Protip: Stop getting your information from Politico, Huffington Post, Maddow, O'Reilly, Matthews, or any other blatantly opinionated information sources that subtly imply you should think one way or another (read: bias). But apparently ONLY Fox News is guilty of that, am I right? Or I guess it's MSNBC if I were asking this to gbaji. You guys aren't the same person, are you? Ha ha.

Oh and good straw-man with the kindergarteners buying heroin from vending machines. Ron Paul doesn't want to legalize drugs, he wants to do away with the redundant federal bans on issues that are explicitly stated in the constitution to be the rights of the individual states to govern on. However I notice that big government liberals like yourself, Gbaji, the other 3 GOP candidates or Obama don't seem to get that you do not need the federal government involving itself in every aspect of peoples' lives.



Your post is like the US Dollar, there's a lot of it there, but it doesn't have any weight behind it. Seriously, back up any of these accusations that you've made, I would love to see it.

Quote:

As for his actual positions, who gives a @#%^? He's a character actor, not a leading man. It's cute that his son was elected a Senator, but that's about the end of the family dynasty. The best we can hope for future amusement from the family is that his kid has a son and names him Paul.


In other words, you have no actual argument. Politics should be about the issues, not celebrity gossip! Don't you see what's wrong with your own quote?

This two party system isn't even a two party system anyhow, we have the neoconservatives which are just democrats who jumped ship. Those of you saying Ron Paul is not a republican seem to not realize that the republicans used to be the 'peace party' before the neocon movement.

But how dare Ron Paul try to educate people, and obviously no one cares enough to hear him speak!
Go away, crazy old man. No one wants to listen to you, clearly!
____________________________
----------
Mukki - on hiatus sometimes.
Midgardsormr >> Quetzalcoatl (Whenever the hiatus ends)
75 DRG (Only took 5 years! 1/25/2009)
#832 Feb 28 2012 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Quote:
both loyal to your parties that stand for the same thing, making the bankers and big executives richer at the expense of the middle class.

That would probably sting more if Paul was running as an independent or libertarian instead of, you know, a Republican. One of those parties that stands for bankers and executives.

Quote:
Protip: Stop getting your information from Politico, Huffington Post, Maddow, O'Reilly, Matthews, or any other blatantly opinionated information sources that subtly imply you should think one way or another (read: bias).

This should be followed up with some suggestions for non-biased and informative sources for information, shouldn't it?

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 8:38am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#833 Feb 28 2012 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,154 posts
Jophiel wrote:
If there's any economic team I want running the show, it's the one that led us directly into the 2008 crash and recession.


Surely they wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Call Out Troll wrote:
Your post is like the US Dollar, there's a lot of it there, but it doesn't have any weight behind it. Seriously, back up any of these accusations that you've made, I would love to see it.


I actually did one of those spit takes. Genuinely, well done. I didn't know those happened in real life.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#834 Feb 28 2012 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,894 posts
You've never believed in any of those "you made me have to wipe up my monitor/keyboard" posts?

Sceptical, sceptical man.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#835 Feb 28 2012 at 3:56 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,362 posts
SuperMukki wrote:
Because we know how Republicans all voted against the Patriot Act, its extension, the Iraq war, and so on, right?


Paul picks and chooses bills to vote against when he knows that they'll pass anyway and he knows he can gain support by voting against them. It's part of his quirky politics. There's a handful like him in the House who do this all the time. Are you aware that when Paul claims to have "never voted for an earmark", while that's technically true, what he has done is actually put earmarks for himself and his district (just like nearly everyone else) into bills that are "must pass" bills, then he votes against them. Why? Because he knows they'll pass, so his vote doesn't matter *except* that it allows him to make that claim and convince people that he's some kind of political rogue or something.


Quote:
Why are you okay with an independent bank lending us our own money with interest?


Interesting. What makes it "our money"? Is that sorta like "the people's money"? I'm honestly curious what you think is going on with the banks here.

Quote:
I mean, unless you believe fiat currency is viable and that Keynesian economics are legitimate, I would absolutely love to hear your fact-based arguments against it?


I know this may shock some people (maybe not you since you think Smash and I are the same person), but I believe that both are viable as well. Fiat currencies success is well documented and pretty obvious to anyone not wearing gold tinted lenses. And Keynesian economic theories do work. I've said so many times. I just think that some people (a lot of people) misapply them by assuming that the processes work the same when the source conditions are artificial as they do when they are naturally occurring. They don't.

But that doesn't mean that the basic concepts in terms of the effects of money supply, interest rates, etc don't work. They do. They demonstrably do.

Quote:
Oh and good straw-man with the kindergarteners buying heroin from vending machines. Ron Paul doesn't want to legalize drugs, he wants to do away with the redundant federal bans on issues that are explicitly stated in the constitution to be the rights of the individual states to govern on. However I notice that big government liberals like yourself, Gbaji, the other 3 GOP candidates or Obama don't seem to get that you do not need the federal government involving itself in every aspect of peoples' lives.


Oddly enough, one of the few issues Smash and I do agree on (more or less) is legalization. So maybe we are the same person!?


Quote:
This two party system isn't even a two party system anyhow, we have the neoconservatives which are just democrats who jumped ship. Those of you saying Ron Paul is not a republican seem to not realize that the republicans used to be the 'peace party' before the neocon movement.


If you believe this, you can't possibly actually understand the libertarian philosophy you claim to hold so high. Can you actually define what it is to be a libertarian? Not a member of the party (cause that's not really the same), but the actual political ideology that is most associated with being "libertarian"? Can you do that? Don't feel bad if you can't, or you have to go look it up. Most people can't actually define their own political ideology if asked. But if you're going to make strong claims about one set of policies, presumably based on a given ideology, you should really know if the policies you support, and the politician you support, really follows that ideology

Paul doesn't. The best description for Paul's politics is "Populist". He says things that are popular with the "out crowd". If war were popular, he'd be pro-war. If raising taxes were popular, he'd be pro-taxes. Don't read anything more into his positions than that.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#836 Feb 28 2012 at 6:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Olympia Snowe announces she won't run this year for her Senate seat. Good news for Democrats who'll probably have an easy pick-up of the seat and offset one of the easy GOP pick-ups from retiring Democrats.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#837 Feb 28 2012 at 7:22 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,362 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Olympia Snowe announces she won't run this year for her Senate seat. Good news for Democrats who'll probably have an easy pick-up of the seat and offset one of the easy GOP pick-ups from retiring Democrats.


That may have an impact in terms of majority party in the Senate (maybe). In terms of voting though, it's pretty much a non-issue. She's by far the most liberal Republican in congress. One would think she already caucuses with the Dems anyway.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#838 Feb 28 2012 at 7:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
That's trying pretty hard to find a silver lining.

It's all about chamber control.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#839 Feb 28 2012 at 7:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
On a completely unrelated note, Trine is on sale for $1.24 until tomorrow from Amazon. If you've ever enjoyed a platformer, Mr. Self-Authoring Grumpasaurus Who Hasn't Played Games in Ten Years, you owe it to yourself to drop the buck twenty-four and play it.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#840 Feb 28 2012 at 8:03 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
On a completely unrelated note, Trine is on sale for $1.24 until tomorrow from Amazon. If you've ever enjoyed a platformer, Mr. Self-Authoring Grumpasaurus Who Hasn't Played Games in Ten Years, you owe it to yourself to drop the buck twenty-four and play it.


Think I'll wait 'till it hits that $0.62 sweet spot.

PS: You've become, like, the best kind of bot, one who spams the forum with awesome game sales.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#841 Feb 28 2012 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
******
43,073 posts
Yeah, and made me think I was in the wrong omnibus thread. Smiley: mad
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#842 Feb 28 2012 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,362 posts
Jophiel wrote:
That's trying pretty hard to find a silver lining.

It's all about chamber control.


Absolutely. So if it turns out that the GOP would have held a majority by one seat, but wont because she resigned and a Dem took her seat, then her resignation has significance. Well, and that's assuming that given her voting record for the last 4-5 years, she wouldn't switch parties in that case anyway. I obviously don't know the woman personally, but I don't think I'm alone in wondering why the hell she has an R after her name in the first place (except perhaps to retain seniority or something). Maybe someone who lives in the cold frigid northeast can tell us, I suppose.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#843 Feb 28 2012 at 8:40 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,073 posts
gbaji wrote:
I obviously don't know the woman personally, but I don't think I'm alone in wondering why the hell she has an R after her name in the first place.
Fox News hasn't decided she betrayed the party ideals enough to change it to a D yet?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#844 Feb 28 2012 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Probably because she votes with the GOP an average of 75% of the time.

Kind of funny how 25% heresy translates to "She should just be a Democrat" Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#845 Feb 28 2012 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,466 posts
Jophiel wrote:
On a completely unrelated note, Trine is on sale for $1.24 until tomorrow from Amazon. If you've ever enjoyed a platformer, Mr. Self-Authoring Grumpasaurus Who Hasn't Played Games in Ten Years, you owe it to yourself to drop the buck twenty-four and play it.

I'm dling Trine right now. Smiley: smile

Unrelated to the GOP primary, but big news to Maine and semi-big news to the senate, Olympia Snowe just annouced she's not running for another term. It was a bit of a bomb-shell around here.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#846 Feb 28 2012 at 9:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
I'm dling Trine right now. Smiley: smile

Smiley: thumbsup

Romney is up by about four with 50% of the state reporting. Probably good news for him; I don't know how significant the outstanding precincts are but being ahead is never a bad thing.

Edit: Various outlets calling it for Romney.

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 9:18pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#847 Feb 28 2012 at 9:39 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,466 posts
Elinda wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
On a completely unrelated note, Trine is on sale for $1.24 until tomorrow from Amazon. If you've ever enjoyed a platformer, Mr. Self-Authoring Grumpasaurus Who Hasn't Played Games in Ten Years, you owe it to yourself to drop the buck twenty-four and play it.

I'm dling Trine right now. Smiley: smile

Unrelated to the GOP primary, but big news to Maine and semi-big news to the senate, Olympia Snowe just annouced she's not running for another term. It was a bit of a bomb-shell around here.


Smiley: blushI saw the thing about trine and didn't really read much more. Old news.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#848 Feb 28 2012 at 10:03 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,362 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Probably because she votes with the GOP an average of 75% of the time.

Kind of funny how 25% heresy translates to "She should just be a Democrat" Smiley: laugh


If that's 75% of all votes, then yeah. Or do you think that more than 25% of all votes in the Senate are divided among partisan lines? I wouldn't be surprised if most Democrats voted with Republicans 75% of the time (which is hard to figure out given the way they list the stats on that site).

Looking the link you provided, in 2011, when partisan voting was at 90% (meaning 90% of the votes were divided among party lines), she only voted with the GOP 80% of the time. That's pretty freaking abysmal. What it means is that when votes really matter, she does not support her party. It's easy to vote with a party when it's for a bill that everyone's voting for anyway. I mean "a measure to declare may 13th official tupperware day" (or equivalent) isn't exactly hard to go along with. And a hell of a lot of what our congress does is stuff of that sort (ok, slightly more important, but "a bill to ratify the automatic extension of bills X, Y, and Z" isn't much more controversial either).


It would be interesting to flip her party affiliation and see how her voting record would stack up if she were calculated as a Dem.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#849 Feb 28 2012 at 10:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
Looking the link you provided, in 2011, when partisan voting was at 90% (meaning 90% of the votes were divided among party lines), she only voted with the GOP 80% of the time. That's pretty freaking abysmal.


Smiley: lol
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#850 Feb 28 2012 at 10:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Damnit, I'm not allowed to buy the game as I'm not from the US. I need to get a US credit card. /sigh. Stupid amazon.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#851 Feb 28 2012 at 10:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
rdmcandie wrote:
Smiley: lol

This.

But then, why argue? I'm just happy the seat will flip and I shouldn't be bothered by however you need to rationalize it to yourself Smiley: smile
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 95 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (95)