Do Abyssea party's even exist any more... yes and no. Most players will level 3 or 4 jobs they like to 99 and the rest as sub jobs (49). If you can get into one they will normally let you change jobs if say, you getting back to the camp is quick and easy.
My experience and advice for people who really need them at this time in FFXi is, if you get into one...
1. Pay attention to what the leaders say, if someone tells you not to do something then don't do it (breaking a chain costs everyone exp and Cruor)
2. Try to bring a job that can raise if possible (maybe a sub job) in case things go wrong (i.e people go afk and the text is lost in the battle log or they fall asleep lol)
3. Don't forget the books... extra exp, Cruor and Dominion notes is always a good thing :D
4. Don't forget sneak and invisibility, if your a low level and don't have any of the teleporters unlocked you will have to run to the party camp and things WILL try to eat you on the way so be careful ><
5. After the party ends don't forget to thank the people that organised it (they just got you a ton of stuff with little to no effort on your part)... exp party's in Abyssea are not that common anymore and getting into one is a very good thing so please pay tribute to those that go to the effort to create them and then let you join in (or leech as the term goes) :D
I am posting this because as a returning player I feel the information that is around for exp partying in Abyssea is... limited to say the least these days.
P.S it also helps if you unlock a few different Abyssea maws in advance so traveling is a lot faster and you can search the areas to try and find any party's and remember... people don't have to let you join so don't be an idiot and insult them if they say no.
Edited, Sep 11th 2014 10:35am by Farth82