1
Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Have you ever just had it with RL?Follow

#1 Jun 19 2009 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
SE wrote:
Don't for get your family, friends, work or school.


Well sometimes I just want to god damn it.

Background
  • I just broke up with my cheating boyfriend.Smiley: mad

  • My best friend is whining to me about his body, despite not going to the gym all week.Smiley: rolleyes

  • My other friends want to go out tonight, and keep nagging at me to come. I. said. I. Was. Tired.
  • My family have taken up the habit of ringing me up to "check how I am" for no apparent reason.
  • My gym parter wants me to go and work out, even though I already went by myself this morning because we didn't make any plans to go today.
  • My flatmates want help cooking something that will most likely poison me.

  • Mass ringing and text messaging enuses.

    So I got home, flicked my phone on silent, locked the door and thought "to hell with this". I switched on FFXI, put a LS party together and am just having a blast whilst ignoring the phone that is subtly vibrating in the background, like one of those toddlers that asks "wwwwwhhhhhyy" after every blasted thing you say.

    Bugger off.

    Next week I will probably eat my words when nobody wants to talk to me, but right now nothing seems better than to just give the world a big middle finger and just play some FFXI.

    Discuss and share similar stories.
    #2 Jun 19 2009 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
    Jack of All Trades
    ******
    29,633 posts
    I flipped the bird at RL a long time ago. Well before I started playing this game, actually.
    #3 Jun 19 2009 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
    **
    767 posts
    Look on the bright side mikey... things could be worse.

    For example... you could be that dumb cat in your avatar. Keeps walking into the same plastic-covered door over and over again. Now THATS a tough life D:
    ____________________________
    --[Lionheartviii]
    Balamb Garden
    Gilgamesh Server

    Quote:
    "Take heed of the elemental properties of Vana'diel, my friend. Though, at times, they may seem fickle, their truths shall be uncovered by the one champion who places his faith in them. Only then can the warrior's absolute purity be revealed. And only then, will his virtues shine forth, opening the blind eyes of the denizens of this world."
    --Arnau, messenger of Altana
    #4 Jun 19 2009 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
    ***
    1,719 posts
    cept for the cheating BF it sounds like you have a bunch of people who like and care for you..

    HOW HORRIBLE...
    #5 Jun 19 2009 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
    ***
    1,615 posts
    I'd say go outside, but that BALL OF FIRE that orbits our planet is out AGAIN.

    #6 Jun 19 2009 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
    **
    676 posts
    Maeriya wrote:
    I'd say go outside, but that BALL OF FIRE that orbits our planet is out AGAIN.



    Like flaming globes, Sigmund. LIKE FLAMING GLOBES!
    #7 Jun 19 2009 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
    Avatar
    **
    345 posts
    CyrUrgit wrote:
    cept for the cheating BF it sounds like you have a bunch of people who like and care for you..

    That naïveté is really touching.
    Let's look at the OP's "friends" a little closer.

    Quote:
    My best friend is whining to me about his body, despite not going to the gym all week.

    This best friend might actually care for the OP, but it doesn't show here. Today, he's just interested in a complacent ear because he wants to talk about himself. And complain about something that only he can fix.

    Quote:
    My other friends want to go out tonight, and keep nagging at me to come. I. said. I. Was. Tired.

    Real friends acknowledge and respect other people's choices and reasons. Today, they are not respecting the OP. They want him to go out because it would be fun for them. Not for him.

    Quote:
    My family have taken up the habit of ringing me up to "check how I am" for no apparent reason.

    This one's tricky, because family's sacred to a lot of people. But the truth is, most of the time, family members who "check how you are" regularly do not do it out of love for you. Worst case, they do it because they want to have control over your life; best case, they do it so they appease their own conscience and their own fears. In any case: they never wonder if their behaviour is uncomfortable for you. It's just about themselves.

    Quote:
    My gym parter wants me to go and work out, even though I already went by myself this morning because we didn't make any plans to go today.

    No plans, everything is fair game. The OP already went to the gym. His partner could be "okay, fair enough, let's do this another day". But no, he wants to go to the gym. For himself. No concern for the OP here.

    Quote:
    My flatmates want help cooking something that will most likely poison me.

    The OP is probably a bit unfair towards his flatmates. I mean, it could be worse: I could be doing the cooking.
    Still, they are asking for help. They are not offering help or care to the OP. Again, they're in a selfish mode.

    OP, it's in those moments that you realize that most people aren't reliable, and don't really care for you. It's now that you can sort your real friends from the fake ones; people who respect you from people who don't.
    And it's perfectly all right to send them all to hell and live in isolation for some time. Take all the off time you need until you're ready to come out of your shell again.
    And if people won't talk to you anymore because you let them down a couple days, then you're in serious need of better friends.
    It's your job to educate people you meet, to teach them what you can accept and what you don't. It's your job to make them respect you. And if they won't agree to your rules, you're better off without them.

    To go through a personal crisis is a good, healthy thing. It's a sign you need to check what's really important for you and maybe change your life priorities.
    ____________________________
    Tanid
    Fairy Sylph server
    WHM75 COR75 DRG75 PUP75
    Proud wearer of Maat's Cap.
    #8 Jun 19 2009 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
    **
    923 posts
    Tanid wrote:
    CyrUrgit wrote:
    cept for the cheating BF it sounds like you have a bunch of people who like and care for you..

    That naïveté is really touching.
    Let's look at the OP's "friends" a little closer.

    Quote:
    My best friend is whining to me about his body, despite not going to the gym all week.

    This best friend might actually care for the OP, but it doesn't show here. Today, he's just interested in a complacent ear because he wants to talk about himself. And complain about something that only he can fix.

    Quote:
    My other friends want to go out tonight, and keep nagging at me to come. I. said. I. Was. Tired.

    Real friends acknowledge and respect other people's choices and reasons. Today, they are not respecting the OP. They want him to go out because it would be fun for them. Not for him.

    Quote:
    My family have taken up the habit of ringing me up to "check how I am" for no apparent reason.

    This one's tricky, because family's sacred to a lot of people. But the truth is, most of the time, family members who "check how you are" regularly do not do it out of love for you. Worst case, they do it because they want to have control over your life; best case, they do it so they appease their own conscience and their own fears. In any case: they never wonder if their behaviour is uncomfortable for you. It's just about themselves.

    Quote:
    My gym parter wants me to go and work out, even though I already went by myself this morning because we didn't make any plans to go today.

    No plans, everything is fair game. The OP already went to the gym. His partner could be "okay, fair enough, let's do this another day". But no, he wants to go to the gym. For himself. No concern for the OP here.

    Quote:
    My flatmates want help cooking something that will most likely poison me.

    The OP is probably a bit unfair towards his flatmates. I mean, it could be worse: I could be doing the cooking.
    Still, they are asking for help. They are not offering help or care to the OP. Again, they're in a selfish mode.

    OP, it's in those moments that you realize that most people aren't reliable, and don't really care for you. It's now that you can sort your real friends from the fake ones; people who respect you from people who don't.
    And it's perfectly all right to send them all to hell and live in isolation for some time. Take all the off time you need until you're ready to come out of your shell again.
    And if people won't talk to you anymore because you let them down a couple days, then you're in serious need of better friends.
    It's your job to educate people you meet, to teach them what you can accept and what you don't. It's your job to make them respect you. And if they won't agree to your rules, you're better off without them.

    To go through a personal crisis is a good, healthy thing. It's a sign you need to check what's really important for you and maybe change your life priorities.

    Marry me...If I believed in it.......yeah....

    Edited, Jun 19th 2009 4:31pm by samosamo
    ____________________________
    http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/15749/xivpads.png
    #9 Jun 19 2009 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
    Jack of All Trades
    ******
    29,633 posts
    Quote:
    Marry me...If I believed in it.......yeah....


    I can assure you that the concept of marriage definitely exists.
    #10 Jun 19 2009 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
    ***
    2,815 posts
    I had debilitating chronic pain for 9 years. After an equally painful recovery after surgery to 'fix it', i now have chronic pain from constant abscess/hematoma recurrences that just won't leave me be.

    I barely have left the house in 3 months with no hint of it healing fully soon.

    I find your RL 'problems' shallow and underwhelming. Suck it up.

    Edited, Jun 19th 2009 4:45pm by RattyBatty
    #11 Jun 19 2009 at 12:45 PM Rating: Excellent
    Mistress of Gardening
    Avatar
    *****
    14,661 posts
    Maeriya wrote:
    I'd say go outside, but that BALL OF FIRE that orbits our planet is out AGAIN.



    I can't decide what's funnier, the joke or the fact that the sun doesn't orbit Earth. Smiley: laugh
    ____________________________
    Yum-Yum Bento Box | Pikko Pots | Adventures in Bentomaking

    Twitter


    [ffxivsig]277809[/ffxivsig]
    #12 Jun 19 2009 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
    **
    937 posts
    Quote:
    I can't decide what's funnier, the joke or the fact that the sun doesn't orbit Earth.

    Blasphemous!
    #13 Jun 19 2009 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
    Pikko wrote:
    Maeriya wrote:
    I'd say go outside, but that BALL OF FIRE that orbits our planet is out AGAIN.



    I can't decide what's funnier, the joke or the fact that the sun doesn't orbit Earth. Smiley: laugh


    There was a time that you would have been called a witch and stoned to death for such blasphamey Pikko.
    #14 Jun 19 2009 at 1:05 PM Rating: Excellent
    Quote:
    I had debilitating chronic pain for 9 years. After an equally painful recovery after surgery to 'fix it', i now have chronic pain from constant abscess/hematoma recurrences that just won't leave me be.

    I barely have left the house in 3 months with no hint of it healing fully soon.

    I find your RL 'problems' shallow and underwhelming. Suck it up.


    Heck ya, pup can't complain because smn needs a boost more.
    #15 Jun 19 2009 at 1:20 PM Rating: Decent
    *
    208 posts
    VawnLakshmi the Great wrote:
    Pikko wrote:
    Maeriya wrote:
    I'd say go outside, but that BALL OF FIRE that orbits our planet is out AGAIN.



    I can't decide what's funnier, the joke or the fact that the sun doesn't orbit Earth. Smiley: laugh


    There was a time that you would have been called a witch and stoned to death for such blasphamey Pikko.


    If the creationists have their way, that time will come again!

    Bwahahaha...beware science lovers!
    #16 Jun 19 2009 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
    *
    61 posts
    To the OP:

    Seven years ago, I came to the world of Vana'diel. A year later I quit to continue participating in "RL". My current ex at the time who had cheated on me with my best friend and screwed him in front of me on our anniversary had committed suicide, I hooked up with another suicidal chick that was driving me crazy with threats of death, and school was nothing but a drama tank. I came back to FFXI very quickly, flicking the world my big giant middle Asian finger. I played for many years later.

    Now, I have a daughter, another child on the way, a psychopathic ***** of a mother in law that I can't get rid of, an inconsiderate pain in the *** of a roommate, went to jail for something totally stupid (shoplifting, what a joke), and flip pizzas at CiCi's Pizza in Guntersville, AL. For God's sake, I'm Asian. I pick rice. Not flip pizza.

    There isn't a moment in the day where I wish I could say, ********** you, world, and that damn ball of fire that orbits you" and just become my little Taru Taru in Vana.

    I feel for ya. Best. Times. Ever.
    #17 Jun 19 2009 at 1:24 PM Rating: Excellent
    Mistress of Gardening
    Avatar
    *****
    14,661 posts
    You guys will back me up though right? I don't want to be burned. Smiley: cry
    ____________________________
    Yum-Yum Bento Box | Pikko Pots | Adventures in Bentomaking

    Twitter


    [ffxivsig]277809[/ffxivsig]
    #18 Jun 19 2009 at 1:30 PM Rating: Decent
    Jack of All Trades
    ******
    29,633 posts
    Quote:
    You guys will back me up though right? I don't want to be burned.


    Does Longs sell any defensive gear?
    #19 Jun 19 2009 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
    repent and you shall be saved.
    #20 Jun 19 2009 at 1:33 PM Rating: Excellent
    I did this a while ago with RL as well and I cheer you all on for it or whome have decided to shun it.

    Now in RL I have..
    No ringing phone.
    No actual friends.
    No aquantances.
    No kids.
    No nagging girlfriend.
    A stable job.
    A quiet life.

    After giving up most of RL to just do my own thing I've been much happier. Of course I don't only play ffxi, have a lot of other things to do such as..

    Play/Write music - Keybaord, drums, guitar, bass and violin, bad singer tho.
    Computer programming - C++, VB2008, and old pascal just for sentimental value.
    Work out - Go for runs, walks have a weight bench. 6'2 170 lean and happy.
    Go to movies on my own.
    Go out to eat on my own.
    Do all shopping on my own.

    It isn't self involved, or self centered to live such a life. I just prefer a bit of peace and quiet over the everyday hassle of that which is people. There are a lot of things I really don't miss about RL such as..

    What people say. Or express.
    What people do. Or want me to do with them.
    What people think. Opinions are a waste of life to listen to.
    What people's kid(s) are upto/doing. They are not special, millions just like them out there.
    Conversations. Blah blah blah the other day blah blah.. stfu deal with it.
    Phone calls. "HI, this AT&T." /Hello AT&T are you going to suck my **** today? "Um, no." /Then you have nothing I want. **** off!
    Emails. See conversations
    Instant Messages. See conversations and emails.

    The list goes on but just isn't worth really putting it all up. I think the point is well off enough said.
    #21 Jun 19 2009 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
    **
    923 posts
    Fynlar wrote:
    Quote:
    Marry me...If I believed in it.......yeah....


    I can assure you that the concept of marriage definitely exists.


    :^/
    ____________________________
    http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/15749/xivpads.png
    #22 Jun 19 2009 at 1:35 PM Rating: Good
    *
    61 posts
    Quote:
    I did this a while ago with RL as well and I cheer you all on for it or whome have decided to shun it.

    Now in RL I have..
    No ringing phone.
    No actual friends.
    No aquantances.
    No kids.
    No nagging girlfriend.
    A stable job.
    A quiet life.

    After giving up most of RL to just do my own thing I've been much happier. Of course I don't only play ffxi, have a lot of other things to do such as..

    Play/Write music - Keybaord, drums, guitar, bass and violin, bad singer tho.
    Computer programming - C++, VB2008, and old pascal just for sentimental value.
    Work out - Go for runs, walks have a weight bench. 6'2 170 lean and happy.
    Go to movies on my own.
    Go out to eat on my own.
    Do all shopping on my own.

    It isn't self involved, or self centered to live such a life. I just prefer a bit of peace and quiet over the everyday hassle of that which is people. There are a lot of things I really don't miss about RL such as..

    What people say. Or express.
    What people do. Or want me to do with them.
    What people think. Opinions are a waste of life to listen to.
    What people's kid(s) are upto/doing. They are not special, millions just like them out there.
    Conversations. Blah blah blah the other day blah blah.. stfu deal with it.
    Phone calls. "HI, this AT&T." /Hello AT&T are you going to eat my cheese today? "Um, no." /Then you have nothing I want. **** off!
    Emails. See conversations
    Instant Messages. See conversations and emails.

    The list goes on but just isn't worth really putting it all up. I think the point is well off enough said.


    This... is GOD.

    "The Gospel, according to Allula.

    Glory be to you, oh mighty poster."

    Edited, Jun 19th 2009 4:36pm by Darexius
    #23 Jun 19 2009 at 1:36 PM Rating: Excellent
    What I was trying emphasise in my OP was that while most people talk about "addiction" and "fat losers in their mothers basement", it's ok to get sucked into a game sometimes and just chill out.

    I wasn't trying to make out that my "problems" were god awful and the end of the world, sorry RattyBatty. I was just focusing in on "sometimes you just want to play some FFXI and forget about stuff in RL". But I can see your point about putting things into perspective. I'm not perfect as I'm sure nobody is, sometimes it's easy to forget.

    CyrUrgit, I wasn't taking those that care for me for granted. Sometimes you just want to be alone, and don't want to have to deal with other people, even if they do have good intentions. Playing FFXI is like an escape, which is the point of my post.

    Tanid, I think you should become a counsellor or a psychiatrist, that was absolutely brilliant! I think you described my feelings perfectly. As a matter of fact after a great session with my linkshell I'm feeling much more human, and calm. Thank you for the sentiments.

    #24 Jun 19 2009 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
    **
    307 posts
    I will back you up Pikko. Mikeyc you have had it rough. The only thing tougher would be being friends with Nickeny <.< lol. I admit that this game does make the bright floating thing out there burn eyes and skin. best thing to do is close your blinds, go into a dark corner, turn on the light and play FFXI. lol :P

    Edited, Jun 19th 2009 2:37pm by Minibuddha
    #25 Jun 19 2009 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
    *
    61 posts
    Mikey, it's okay to put RL behind you from time to time. People need to destress, and killing orcs and gobs does it for some people, like us.

    I do hope you feel better :) We're here to help.
    #26 Jun 19 2009 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
    **
    923 posts
    Quote:
    I had debilitating chronic pain for 9 years. After an equally painful recovery after surgery to 'fix it', i now have chronic pain from constant abscess/hematoma recurrences that just won't leave me be.

    I barely have left the house in 3 months with no hint of it healing fully soon.

    I find your RL 'problems' shallow and underwhelming. Suck it up.


    Really? did you really go there?....

    Edited, Jun 19th 2009 5:58pm by samosamo
    ____________________________
    http://xivpads.com/i/sigs/15749/xivpads.png
    « Previous 1 2 3
    Reply To Thread

    Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

     

    Recent Visitors: 6 All times are in CST
    Anonymous Guests (6)