1
Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

So now that FFXI may be dying soon..Follow

#52 Apr 21 2015 at 8:02 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
Nashred wrote:
My point is I agree with him.. how can anything different added to the game be bad.

It adds a alternative method of leveling for those who want to use this method. Might not be the majority but who cares especially if it makes some people happy.

I think running dungeons over and over is the same **** thing and boring since all dungeons so far have been the same with a slight tweak..

If you don't like dungeons, you don't like dungeons. But don't post that the game needs something else repetitive because dungeons are repetitive, and repetitive is bad. Don't post that the game needs something else that's been done before because dungeons are unimaginative because they've been done before.

You don't like chicken? That's fine. Just don't try to make it sound like whatever it is that you do like is somehow objectively better than chicken.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#53 Apr 21 2015 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
svlyons wrote:
Nashred wrote:
My point is I agree with him.. how can anything different added to the game be bad.

It adds a alternative method of leveling for those who want to use this method. Might not be the majority but who cares especially if it makes some people happy.

I think running dungeons over and over is the same **** thing and boring since all dungeons so far have been the same with a slight tweak..

If you don't like dungeons, you don't like dungeons. But don't post that the game needs something else repetitive because dungeons are repetitive, and repetitive is bad. Don't post that the game needs something else that's been done before because dungeons are unimaginative because they've been done before.

You don't like chicken? That's fine. Just don't try to make it sound like whatever it is that you do like is somehow objectively better than chicken.


I never said it was better .. Where did I say that?

Honestly people on the forums now a days need to learn some respect and look at other people views instead of thinking there is the only way and being so closed minded.. Want to seem intelligent start by seeing things through other people eyes instead of trying to bully or force your opinions on other people. Forum culture has gotten so bad with people thinking they know everything and their opinion is the only thing that matters.

MY point is what is fun to someone might seems repetitive to another and what another thinks is repetitive someone else likes so why not offer a variety. I dont see anything wrong with that.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#54 Apr 21 2015 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
Nashred wrote:
svlyons wrote:
Nashred wrote:
My point is I agree with him.. how can anything different added to the game be bad.

It adds a alternative method of leveling for those who want to use this method. Might not be the majority but who cares especially if it makes some people happy.

I think running dungeons over and over is the same **** thing and boring since all dungeons so far have been the same with a slight tweak..

If you don't like dungeons, you don't like dungeons. But don't post that the game needs something else repetitive because dungeons are repetitive, and repetitive is bad. Don't post that the game needs something else that's been done before because dungeons are unimaginative because they've been done before.

You don't like chicken? That's fine. Just don't try to make it sound like whatever it is that you do like is somehow objectively better than chicken.


I never said it was better .. Where did I say that?

You said it in the post I quoted. The OP is about adding 4 man, open world mob grinding for exp. You said adding more options would be good because existing options were repetitive grinding an unimaginative. It makes perfect sense to conclude that you think open world mob grinding is not repetitive grinding and unimaginative.

Nashred wrote:
Honestly people on the forums now a days need to learn some respect and look at other people views instead of thinking there is the only way and being so closed minded.. Want to seem intelligent start by seeing things through other people eyes instead of trying to bully or force your opinions on other people. Forum culture has gotten so bad with people thinking they know everything and their opinion is the only thing that matters.

You just need to word your posts differently if you feel you are being disrespected. This is a medium of words, and you can only be judged by those words. Stop blaming other posters and "forum culture". Take ownership over how you communicate instead of claiming everyone else should be able to read your mind.

Nashred wrote:
MY point is what is fun to someone might seems repetitive to another...

Then maybe next time, you should say that. Your post did not convey that at all. If anything, your post comes across as the one that is trying to bully or force your opinion on other people.
"It just amazes me how many people enjoy repetition and doing the same thing over and over and will defend it to the hilt. How frigging boring."
"Lets just dumb down everything."


Edited, Apr 21st 2015 10:42am by svlyons
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#55 Apr 24 2015 at 8:04 AM Rating: Default
***
1,408 posts
svlyons wrote:
Nashred wrote:
svlyons wrote:
Nashred wrote:
My point is I agree with him.. how can anything different added to the game be bad.

It adds a alternative method of leveling for those who want to use this method. Might not be the majority but who cares especially if it makes some people happy.

I think running dungeons over and over is the same **** thing and boring since all dungeons so far have been the same with a slight tweak..

If you don't like dungeons, you don't like dungeons. But don't post that the game needs something else repetitive because dungeons are repetitive, and repetitive is bad. Don't post that the game needs something else that's been done before because dungeons are unimaginative because they've been done before.

You don't like chicken? That's fine. Just don't try to make it sound like whatever it is that you do like is somehow objectively better than chicken.


I never said it was better .. Where did I say that?

You said it in the post I quoted. The OP is about adding 4 man, open world mob grinding for exp. You said adding more options would be good because existing options were repetitive grinding an unimaginative. It makes perfect sense to conclude that you think open world mob grinding is not repetitive grinding and unimaginative.

Nashred wrote:
Honestly people on the forums now a days need to learn some respect and look at other people views instead of thinking there is the only way and being so closed minded.. Want to seem intelligent start by seeing things through other people eyes instead of trying to bully or force your opinions on other people. Forum culture has gotten so bad with people thinking they know everything and their opinion is the only thing that matters.

You just need to word your posts differently if you feel you are being disrespected. This is a medium of words, and you can only be judged by those words. Stop blaming other posters and "forum culture". Take ownership over how you communicate instead of claiming everyone else should be able to read your mind.

Nashred wrote:
MY point is what is fun to someone might seems repetitive to another...

Then maybe next time, you should say that. Your post did not convey that at all. If anything, your post comes across as the one that is trying to bully or force your opinion on other people.
"It just amazes me how many people enjoy repetition and doing the same thing over and over and will defend it to the hilt. How frigging boring."
"Lets just dumb down everything."


Edited, Apr 21st 2015 10:42am by svlyons


Have to agree with @sylons

Nashred you are complaining about doing the same dungeons over and over again, for starters I would like to know what do you mean by doing the same ones? I have not had to repeat dungeons so much since hitting relic. Doing the same dungeon in the hope of that 1 drop, so far I am 0/6 on copperbell hard and 0/5 on snowcloak.

For EXP well, I never had to do any Dungeon more than 3 times till I was able to do the next one. Once everything is unlocked, you have access to dailies levelling up isn't exactly slow. In the time it takes me to level all my jobs (which I am done now) I didn't feel I was grinding so much. That variation of different dungeons, with different people and every run isn't exactly the same.

By Grinding EXP which you want back? I assume you mean similar to Crawlers nest and spending 6 hours killing the exact same mob over and over again?

What @sylons doesn't understand and me too, you are complaining about Dungeon grind ***** yet you want back the more grind machine that was in XI? It doesn't make sense.

I also don't understand how you are complaining about the way Sylon is putting his posts when you seem to be very griped up about the way he doesn't agree with you. If SE adds something like a grinding zone which would have to be apart of the new Expansion pack but in all honesty I don't see it happening. Even though many kinda enjoyed the grind in XI, it was still one of the most heavily complained about things in the game. Although I see your point about adding something that may make a few people happy, problem is - is it worth the turn over for SE to spend a lot of Dev time on it?

They have built the new expansion with plenty of new dungeons (they have already shown that info) to add plenty of mobs, improved spawn times, not effect DF, make it so its an option not better than a dungeon - this is a heavy handed task.

I actually wouldn't mind it being added but as I said, it cant effect DF because DPS already at times can wait average of 20 minutes. It's a bit like PVP queues, they made alterations to allow it to get going quicker my game time average Queue has gone from 50 minutes to 30 minutes average regardless of job I queue with.

In todays world grind fest of 100s of mobs, sitting in the same spot hours on end... I don't see it happening and unless 100's of people start asking for it. I really don't see it being on SE's radar.
____________________________
[ffxivsig]620816[/ffxivsig]

If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#56 Apr 24 2015 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
One change I'd love to see is for the pool of expert-level dungeons to be increased from three to six. The only amount of "grind" I really feel in this game is the daily expert roulette, and adding in a bit more variety would fix that.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#57 Apr 24 2015 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,252 posts
Thayos wrote:
One change I'd love to see is for the pool of expert-level dungeons to be increased from three to six. The only amount of "grind" I really feel in this game is the daily expert roulette, and adding in a bit more variety would fix that.


^^ This. +1.
____________________________
Verdha Tashon on Lamia <SWARM>
Waenlona Tofftoegwyn on Balmung <DE-RP>
Kekerana Nenerana on Sargatanas
#58 May 20 2015 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,593 posts
I levelled DRG in FFXI before it was cool...never again. ***** your LFG fodder.
#59 May 21 2015 at 1:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
I levelled DRG in FFXI before it was cool...never again. ***** your LFG fodder.

This is why I'm glad the grind pt is gone. Sure, DD ques can be fairly long at times, but it has nothing on waiting hours with your flag up to find a group--especially if your job wasn't the flavor of the month.

With ffxiv, you have other exp options while waiting for that que to pop. Hunts, leves, fates, and quests fill the gaps between que times, which is a good thing when you're just trying to squeeze in some time. If I have 30 or 40 minutes to kill before work, I can chase a few fates or hunts, or maybe knock out some leves. Not so much in ffxi.
#60 May 23 2015 at 5:38 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,175 posts
While I am not against the idea of LFG/LFR dungeon matching tools, I am definitely against putting difficult content in the rotation. The strong community aspect that FFXI is known for was borne out of having to find like minded players to team up with. Personally, I feel like it actually made completing content more satisfying and rewarding.

Again, not suggesting that LFR/LFG be removed completely. Just that it only be used for casual content. If you remove the need to reach out to other players to achieve goals in-game, you remove a lot of the reason for communication in and out of FC and linkshells that makes the game more lively.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#61 Apr 10 2016 at 7:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
It's funny Square planned to kill updated to FF11 and have now done a 180, not only will the game get monthly updates but more story content too.

Guess someone who controls the money bags at Square Enix stepped in and slapped some faces around.
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#62 Apr 10 2016 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Runespider wrote:
It's funny Square planned to kill updated to FF11 and have now done a 180, not only will the game get monthly updates but more story content too.

Guess someone who controls the money bags at Square Enix stepped in and slapped some faces around.


Yep, XI has been getting monthly updates for quite awhile now. A big thing is, XIV wasn't doing as well as they let on to believe (internal reports don't lie) so while they did turn around some plans, they said in an interview last month they didn't mean to word it as if they're "stopping" XI support and to see Rhapsodies as "the beginning", they even brought Tanaka back to work on a bit of it.

It would have been silly to kill off XI as it still generates money and will likely get more support as need be. With XV being a money sink and XIV needing to "catch up" to make up for HW's losses, it's really no surprise they reverted plans for it.
____________________________

#63 Apr 10 2016 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
I never understood their reasoning to slow it down. Sure the population has dwindled, that being said, the population that's there is extremely dedicated and still forking over good $$$. I had re-subbed for a few months last year and it was great. If I do re-sub to any MMO again it'll probably be XI.

And ya, XV is a money pit that's not looking overly impressive (in terms of actual game play.) Graphics are nice, but it's lacking detail and everything seems very bland.

Edited, Apr 10th 2016 4:33pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#64 Apr 10 2016 at 3:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
With XV being a money sink and XIV needing to "catch up" to make up for HW's losses


I've not seen any data that even remotely backs such a statement. Are you referring to playing catchup to the losses from 1.x?

Here's an article as recent as Feb in which SE cites the strong performance of FFXIV: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-profits-surge-thanks-to-mobile-and-pc-/1100-6434488/ So I'm really not sure where you get the idea that Heavensward has been anything but a profitable expansion.

As for XI storyline updates, Hio, is that interview you cited in Japanese? I've searched Google for recent interviews and am unable to find anything, and I'd love to see what the devs have to say. Anything that bolsters FFXI is good news to me -- I'd be ecstatic if they are really committed to more expansions.

Quote:
I never understood their reasoning to slow it down.


Who knows. It could just be the playerbase had grown so small, and they knew they were going to have to drop PS2 support. And while FFXI is still fun for those of us who played it back in the day, let's face it -- the game isn't exactly polished by today's standards. SE could have dumped a ton of money into XI to make it more attractive for new gamers, but then perhaps the game wouldn't actually be profitable as it certainly is now with more spartan updates.


Edited, Apr 10th 2016 3:06pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#65 Apr 10 2016 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
It's Japanese, only translations I know of is here: https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/128401-Famitsu-Interview-Final-Fantasy-XI-Vana%E2%80%99Diel%E2%80%99s-15th-Year

As for the data, it was their progress report in November, the hit to the playerbase and lower than expected interest between HW Release and November 2015 was actually significant (from a business stand point), losing 300k people (including their subs) is nothing to laugh at, which was detailed in their actual report. not the PR side of things (which still to this day, state there's 5 millions PLAYERS.)

As for slowing it down, it's for XIV's sake, they moved too many developers off of XI and with XI losing access to a lot of dev kits, they couldn't do as much without basically moving it to the PC which takes time and money, that they clearly wouldn't dedicate, because yoshi even states they don't have the resources to do much with XIV. DQX is doing fine for what it because of the gameplay but that slowed down as well.

____________________________

#66 Apr 10 2016 at 7:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Ah, so your xiv statement is just opinion, since a lot of people who took breaks came back with the recent patch, which was widely praised on the OFs as one of the game's best. And SE praised xiv's performance/success in that much more recent update. I definitely see no evidence that HW was a financial loss... not even close.

Also, I don't see anything new from that interview. They've been saying for awhile now that they may do some story and lore quests, but no major new storylines. Still, anything is better than nothing.


Edited, Apr 10th 2016 6:19pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#67 Apr 10 2016 at 8:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Thayos wrote:
Ah, so your xiv statement is just opinion


Erm..no. Losing 300,000+ subs between 3.0 - 3.1 gap isn't an opinion, that's quite the loss when your product's overall gross is built around said monthly subs more so than the single sales on digital/hard copy sales (which is what the report was stating under performed). Like I said, the reason Yoshida was upset the president released that XIV info back in november was because no one, business or otherwise likes that kind info to be let out. It's no secret he normally dances around those questions. It doesn't matter if they were "singing praises recently", that doesn't erase the impact the 5 month delay had on the game overall.

And again, even in their recent videos they stated there's 5 million players. but I just guess you buy more into PR talk than you realize, then again being in the industry, I've seen everything from both sides of the coin so I'm not surprised.

Quote:
They've been saying for awhile now that they may do some story and lore quests, but no major new storylines


Nope, there's actually a lot of new information, that's why they clarified their statement because I assure you, this recent update didn't simply introduce "story and lore quests"..it introduced an entirely new content concept. They just went more in depth on their thoughts, the only information we had prior was major updates would be at an end but they can easily introduce new content in the monthly update cycle, just full blown expansions is very unlikely unless SE starts shelling out the money and man power it needs, but based on what they have in the works doesn't even seem like they need much.

Also:

Quote:
which was widely praised on the OF


Remember how people, including yourself (I seen you post this on the OF before) state that those forums or really any forum community represents only a "small portion" of the playerbase? However the only time that's said is when someone brings up criticism, but when it's nothing but praises...that suddenly changes.

Edited, Apr 10th 2016 7:44pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#68 Apr 10 2016 at 8:52 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
And again, even in their recent videos they stated there's 5 million players.


Every video I've seen said "Registered accounts" not "players." Enormous difference. Certainly misleading, but not strictly dishonest. I could easily have missed a video that said "5 million players with blackjack and hookers" but none of the ones I've seen have said that.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#69 Apr 10 2016 at 9:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Erm..no. Losing 300,000+ subs between 3.0 - 3.1 gap isn't an opinion, that's quite the loss when your product's overall gross is built around said monthly subs more so than the single sales on digital/hard copy sales (which is what the report was stating under performed). Like I said, the reason Yoshida was upset the president released that XIV info back in november was because no one, business or otherwise likes that kind info to be let out. It's no secret he normally dances around those questions. It doesn't matter if they were "singing praises recently", that doesn't erase the impact the 5 month delay had on the game overall.


Either I misunderstood you and you agree that HW is profitable, or you're moving the goal posts.

Earlier, you said:

Quote:
It would have been silly to kill off XI as it still generates money and will likely get more support as need be. With XV being a money sink and XIV needing to "catch up" to make up for HW's losses, it's really no surprise they reverted plans for it.


What you seem to be implying here -- and perhaps this isn't what you meant -- is that Heavensward isn't profitable, and that SE is needing to find profits elsewhere to make up for HW's shortcomings.

By all evidence, that statement (if that's what you meant) is false. SE has repeatedly cited the strong performance of FFXIV for its growing financial success, and that includes post-HW financial updates (including one from just a couple months ago).

It's true that FFXIV lost subs during that long content delay, but it's not true to say HW isn't profitable.

It's also true that subscriber levels ebb and flow in this game with content patches. And just from playing the game regularly (and paying attention to the forums) it is clear that not only have many people come back (which is normal), but also the game continues to pick up new players.

It's also true that the playerbase response to the most recent patch was extremely positive. I only mentioned the OFs because you often cite them as a basis for what players care about (like when you recently asserted that most people only care about glamor). But the response was equally positive in game (FC and even pickup groups), social media, and on other sites/blogs. The most negative reception I've seen was on this forum, and that's only because of you and Filth (and only you regularly play the game, lord knows why).

Quote:
And again, even in their recent videos they stated there's 5 million players. but I just guess you buy more into PR talk than you realize, then again being in the industry, I've seen everything from both sides of the coin so I'm not surprised.


I swear, you seem more stuck on this than anyone else.

And like Callinon said, SE often references "accounts" or "registered accounts" when citing this number. Such as here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/24d3c419fae62ce2771b4b0b7d01c6348ab5d5e5

Quote:
Nope, there's actually a lot of new information, that's why they clarified their statement because I assure you, this recent update didn't simply introduce "story and lore quests"..it introduced an entirely new content concept. They just went more in depth on their thoughts, the only information we had prior was major updates would be at an end but they can easily introduce new content in the monthly update cycle, just full blown expansions is very unlikely unless SE starts shelling out the money and man power it needs, but based on what they have in the works doesn't even seem like they need much.


I read through the first couple large sections of that interview you linked, and what I read from that was the dev team saying, "We've been cut, and there's nothing we can do about that, but we're going to do the best we can on story/battle updates."

This fits in perfectly with what I saw two or three months ago, when the dev team explained the game would have no more massive content updates, but they'd continue to work on small quests on NPCs and whatnot to keep Vana'diel feeling alive.

That said, I admit I could have missed something here, and I'd genuinely love to read where they talk about this new content concept. If you wouldn't mind linking or pasting what you're referencing here, that would be much appreciated.

In fact, I might just log into XI tonight for the first time since December.

EDIT: Also, Hio, I just hopped over to ZAM's XI forum looking for info on the new story concept you're referencing, and I found a couple places where you say (within the past several days) that nothing appears to be changing because of the small size of the dev team/resources... which is exactly what I said, and you disagreed. So what's going on?

Edited, Apr 10th 2016 8:39pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#70 Apr 11 2016 at 12:46 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,157 posts
Yeah, I'm not seeing a giant deviance from XI's plan to suggest some kind of 180 that people are claiming here and there, either. Ambuscade may indeed be new content, but let's realize it's using an underutilized zone (Legion's) and isn't really adding new mob types (yet?). Available armor is also just a recycling of older skins. Comparative to XIV, it's really no different than the whole Primal process if you've got Story > Hard > Extreme variants. And since I'm inclined to call such lazy development for XIV, I'd stick to that assertion with XI, too. It may indeed yield something for players to do, but it's bare bones.

Otherwise, I look to the whole, "New guy able to do things we couldn't do before!" statement as a direct reference to dropping consoles. Technically, this shouldn't surprise anyone when we know the PS2 was the lowest common denominator holding things back for years. I'll admit I'm skeptical about some things they say they can and can't do server-side, but there's not really anything any of us here can do to refute the instances of impossibility. I'd often err more to being financially taxing under today's budget.

As for story/lore, I'm also seeing it more as them tying up loose ends. Maybe Aldo will finally find his sister. Expecting some grand combat CS like the end of RoV is probably off the table, but more basic emoting shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I'd expect a lot to just be "spam enter for plot" with no CS at all, which is okay.

Overall, most profit from XI is no doubt directly tied to their frugality. If we're gonna rail on XIV's subs, I'd love to see XI's numbers, too. All servers roughly being similar, however, I'd be surprised if the total active population breaks 50k. At $650k a month, presuming $13/mo per customer, 1/3 of that is probably going toward upkeep. More money than any of us probably make in a year, sure, but I'm not convinced it's really make or break for funding other projects in the SE pipeline at this point. Feels more like simply maintaining a legacy than attempting to salvage XIV's accused sucktitude or whatever.
____________________________
Violence good. Sexy bad. Yay America.
#71 Apr 11 2016 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
Square-Enix’s fiscal results for the last three-quarters of 2015 are in, and it’s good news all around. Net sales were up almost 30% year-over-year, resulting in profits boosted by a nearly quarter compared to 2014.
The company attributed its success to multiple franchises and console launches. MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV is named twice as a strong performer.

“During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2015, sales of character goods derived from the Group’s own IPs increased, primarily thanks to the release of the first expansion disc of FINAL FANTASY XIV.”

“Revenues from operation and expansion disc sales of massively multiplayer online role playing games such as FINAL FANTASY XIV and DRAGON QUEST X are sustaining their strong performances.”

This was posted in Feb. 2016, so I think it's doing fine. Unless it's bled that many players since December 2015.
____________________________

#72 Apr 11 2016 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Thayos wrote:

EDIT: Also, Hio, I just hopped over to ZAM's XI forum looking for info on the new story concept you're referencing, and I found a couple places where you say (within the past several days) that nothing appears to be changing because of the small size of the dev team/resources... which is exactly what I said, and you disagreed. So what's going on?

Edited, Apr 10th 2016 8:39pm by Thayos


Quote:
but based on what they have in the works doesn't even seem like they need much.


Based on what they already have planned they don't need much in the way of resources because we already know what they have planned, which largely revolves around Ambuscale's shifting nature and similar content. So not much is actually changing with the direction change because it's the same team leaders just shifting over essentially. Unless the new director can convince SE to put focus on XI as well, nothing indeed is going to change dramatically, especially in the way people are thinking.


Seriha wrote:
And since I'm inclined to call such lazy development for XIV, I'd stick to that assertion with XI, too. It may indeed yield something for players to do, but it's bare bones.


"Let's realize" due to the nature of having no devkits available for major development, it's pretty much using available assets to place in like using legos essentially. XIV has the current focus of SE (in terms of MMOs), a SUPERIOR ENGINE, better server technology (based on the video interviews) and even more talented programmers. It should not be doing less than what XI is doing.

Quote:
Otherwise, I look to the whole, "New guy able to do things we couldn't do before!" statement as a direct reference to dropping consoles. Technically, this shouldn't surprise anyone when we know the PS2


Has nothing to do with the PS2, unless you're meaning to tell me they dropped the PS2 in 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2013 with all of the major additions and changes they implemented they told us wasn't possible before. Remember, PS2/PS3 Limitations are an indirect way to say "no" because it's largely seen as bad relations in Japan to tell your customers "no" directly. Stuff Yoshida says isn't possible because of "PS3 Limitations" a lot of developers actually scratch their heads about because the PS3, while low in memory, can handle a lot more than they give credit for. This game copying entire ACCOUNT data upon transfer of duty servers is the main problem, because if they increase our character data, it will start causing problems, which is why they also push retainer sales, despite supposedly being "limited" in item storage because numerous calling retainers actually puts far more strain on the server than our inventories, and anyone who's done some "capturing" for certain projects (parsing, private servers) will tell you just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEPriVIv0vI

Says right in the intro of the video "5 million gamers worldwide." This is why I said it's extremely easy to buy into PR talk but actually hard parsing the game's database (lodestone) tells you otherwise. When they say "characters/accounts", that indeed is different, but when they say "players/gamers"...you're not talking about the characters, you're talking about gamers. This is what I was referring to by recent videos.


Edited, Apr 12th 2016 5:43am by Theonehio
____________________________

#73 Apr 14 2016 at 3:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
XIV losing large numbers of players doesn't matter that much since most of the money it makes is from the cash shop anyway, players beg for new cosmetics to be added. It's a dress up simulator, which explains the state of the official forums and why everything is about graphics and cosmetics.
#74 Apr 14 2016 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
XIV losing large numbers of players doesn't matter that much since most of the money it makes is from the cash shop anyway


Citation needed
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#75 Apr 14 2016 at 11:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,692 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
XIV losing large numbers of players doesn't matter that much since most of the money it makes is from the cash shop anyway


Citation needed


FFXIV has a cash shop that rivals almost any f2p game, that gets more optional item updates than actual content updates, that has a playerbase desperate to throw money at them for more and begging to get maid outfits and chinese exclusives. The majority of the mmorpg industry gives you the game for free and makes profits from cash shop cosmetics alone.

You need proof that dresses, pets, mounts and hairstyles make more money than a subscription 10 years out of date?

Whales are what keep these games profitable, you can lose large numbers of subscribers and still be profitable with a few thousand big spenders.

Whether you think it's good or bad, it is what it is and if nothing else it will keep the game profitable and alive.
#76 Apr 14 2016 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,767 posts
Runespider wrote:
You need proof that dresses, pets, mounts and hairstyles make more money than a subscription 10 years out of date?
Yes.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 9 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (9)