1
Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

What happened to these forums?Follow

#27 Feb 10 2016 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Pretty much said nah the second I saw the first step of the quest, especially now that it's a month+ later and the FATE waves are gone. I'd rather level Fishing (which I am :D )


I don't blame you... I already had my relic from before, so I got to skip that step. The grind for the new crystals isn't as bad as the anima grind, but still... wasn't a smart way to open this new quest chain after how much people hated the first go-round.

Edited, Feb 10th 2016 1:51pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#28 Feb 10 2016 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
****
4,175 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
Like as much as I know a XI remake with some tweaks isn't going to happen, man would I jump at an opportunity to play it if did. Like holy moly.


Totally. Even if they released a pre-abyssea/level cap raise type server I'd be there in a heartbeat.

There are already several free to play private servers for FFXI. People just don't know about them because they don't take time to research. I would imagine it's pretty much the same with people who would play XI if it were remade. They want a better looking XI with easier to use interface but they haven't actually explored that so they don't know that's already a possibility.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#29 Feb 10 2016 at 4:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
Like as much as I know a XI remake with some tweaks isn't going to happen, man would I jump at an opportunity to play it if did. Like holy moly.


Totally. Even if they released a pre-abyssea/level cap raise type server I'd be there in a heartbeat.

There are already several free to play private servers for FFXI. People just don't know about them because they don't take time to research. I would imagine it's pretty much the same with people who would play XI if it were remade. They want a better looking XI with easier to use interface but they haven't actually explored that so they don't know that's already a possibility.



Tried a private server. Was way too dead to be enjoyable.

Edited, Feb 10th 2016 5:38pm by BrokenFox
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1053318/
#30 Feb 10 2016 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
****
4,175 posts
You can still effectively cap yourself on live servers and there are still groups who play XI as if it were pre-abyssea. You also have to understand that the minority of the population wants to play vanilla so you're drawing from a smaller pool of players regardless of whether you play private or live.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#31 Feb 10 2016 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
You can still effectively cap yourself on live servers and there are still groups who play XI as if it were pre-abyssea. You also have to understand that the minority of the population wants to play vanilla so you're drawing from a smaller pool of players regardless of whether you play private or live.


I never expect it to actually happen. It's just a wishful thought.
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1053318/
#32 Feb 10 2016 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Is there a ZAM XI server you all play on or nah? I have still have an active account but my linkshells/friendships are long gone.
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1053318/
#33 Feb 10 2016 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
****
4,175 posts
IIRC Asura is the highest populated server and home to the reddit LS. The 75 cap LS I believe is on Odin and consists of older players coming back as well as MMO players who have never played XI.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#34 Feb 11 2016 at 8:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/14420/detail.html


Thanks
Any idea when the 360 is dropped?



In March, it's just on the JP side they usually "add+1" since it won't be relevant for the update following it, so they usually just reference April 2016 as when all services but PC will be discontinued support wise.


All I see is March and it is a long month, I meant the first of March or the last day of March?
I have never seen a date just a month.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#35 Feb 11 2016 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Belcrono wrote:
Like as much as I know a XI remake with some tweaks isn't going to happen, man would I jump at an opportunity to play it if did. Like holy moly.


I would too. I think if they redid it on the FFXIV engine it would be awsum except they are remaking it for the portable instead. Blah.

FFXI with FFXIV Graphics. Just imagine the possibilities. FFXIV crafting since that is what I hated most in FFXI. They could leave one hundred percent of the story and maps. I mean COP, or any of the missions. Add the expansion individually like before and in the same order. Basically be able to replay FFXI the exact same as before with the FFXIV engine. I mean it has to save allot on development costs.

There is so many little things FFXI could benefit taking from FFXIV. Something as small as a search feature for inventory. I can never find anything in my inventory. The quest system so you do not have to have the wiki open all the time.

FFXI is a very old game now and it could benefit from allot of new stuff. But it aint going to happen at this point really. The game has really held up well though.
I also think the few people left do not want it to change. Only problem is it already has and it has become more like FFXIV.

There is so much FFXIV could benefit from FFXI but it aint going to happen till FFXIV starts too loose money.
They do not seem to care if the people playing FFXIV want something different. They do not care if there is high turn over in the game as long as new people keep coming in. Eventually that has to end too.

I think what allot of the people wanted like Tesee and I when we left FFXI for FFXIV is something in between FFXI and FFXIV. FFXI required allot allot of time and was hard but we got the complete opposite with FFXIV.

Amazing for FFXIV we were so excited from 0-50 and that changed so fast. Man we loved FFXIV and then came the WP, AK grind, well that was fine we knew the game was new. Problem is it has not changed at all for end game.


Edited, Feb 11th 2016 10:21am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#36 Feb 11 2016 at 9:17 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
IIRC Asura is the highest populated server and home to the reddit LS. The 75 cap LS I believe is on Odin and consists of older players coming back as well as MMO players who have never played XI.


We thought about transferring to Asura.
Our server has between 600 to 800 people on average which does not seem to bad.
On a good day before we left it had maybe 1400 and on a bad day around 800.
The issue is it seems to be mostly Japanese players and their mules.
There are about 3 people left from my old ls and one was on all the time and was going to bring us into his new LS and then disappeared. He has always played since the day I met him so I am worried something happened. He has been away for almost a month. Funny is we have no LS and no one has offered.

For us we are finishing up old quest lines that were not finished like Adoulin or sky. I never did the last fight because I could never get the item from the well. Mainly went back for rhaspodies but found out you need to be so far in allot of the expansions to finish it..

For us what stinks is the whole game just feels dead. You do not see anyone except port Jueno and Adoulin. You see people in the new areas but they are also mainly alone with their alter ego's . For us yesterday we were in the past for several hours and only saw one person. We loved campaign and no one does it? Does everyone have all their jobs capped? No EXP parties anywhere. Everything I loved about the game is not there anymore. The world feels dead.

We have been running around for a month now with no LS and not had a offer. makes me feel like the game is not the same community.

Problem with level 75 capped servers is what is there to do?
The ones run not by SE you have to start over I am sure.

Even though we are having more fun playing FFXI than at the end of FFXIV mainly because there is more to do. It does not even feel close to the game we left. It is just a shell of its former self even though it has some improvements.

The game is dieing you can feel it. A few updates are not going to save it. The few people still on my friends list know it too. Want to know what is funny is my FFXI and FFXIV friends list are about the same size and I have as many friends still playing FFXI as I do FFXIV actually a few more on FFXI..

A reset may save the game and bring in new blood again or old blood. It would pull people back into the cites and original content everyone loved so much.





Edited, Feb 11th 2016 10:35am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#37 Feb 11 2016 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Nashred wrote:
Belcrono wrote:
Like as much as I know a XI remake with some tweaks isn't going to happen, man would I jump at an opportunity to play it if did. Like holy moly.


I would too. I think if they redid it on the FFXIV engine it would be awsum except they are remaking it for the portable instead. Blah.

FFXI with FFXIV Graphics. Just imagine the possibilities. FFXIV crafting since that is what I hated most in FFXI. They could leave one hundred percent of the story and maps. I mean COP, or any of the missions. Add the expansion individually like before and in the same order. Basically be able to replay FFXI the exact same as before with the FFXIV engine. I mean it has to save allot on development costs.

There is so many little things FFXI could benefit taking from FFXIV. Something as small as a search feature for inventory. I can never find anything in my inventory. The quest system so you do not have to have the wiki open all the time.

FFXI is a very old game now and it could benefit from allot of new stuff. But it aint going to happen at this point really. The game has really held up well though.
I also think the few people left do not want it to change. Only problem is it already has and it has become more like FFXIV.

There is so much FFXIV could benefit from FFXI but it aint going to happen till FFXIV starts too loose money.
They do not seem to care if the people playing FFXIV want something different. They do not care if there is high turn over in the game as long as new people keep coming in. Eventually that has to end too.

I think what allot of the people wanted like Tesee and I when we left FFXI for FFXIV is something in between FFXI and FFXIV. FFXI required allot allot of time and was hard but we got the complete opposite with FFXIV.

Amazing for FFXIV we were so excited from 0-50 and that changed so fast. Man we loved FFXIV and then came the WP, AK grind, well that was fine we knew the game was new. Problem is it has not changed at all for end game.


Edited, Feb 11th 2016 10:21am by Nashred


Part of what makes FFXI though, is it's graphics. Personally I would just like to see some HD textures and unlocking of the FPS. Considering how old the game is, with some registry tweaks, it still looks respectable. If you play the game with FPS unlimited, it can run very smoothly. They just need to update it so it can take advantage of modern GPUs and CPUs, that's half the battle with the game. The obvious problem, is how much would this cost and would it be worth it. You can still do like LotRO and other games which come with the low res/high res options for people who never upgraded their PC's in the last decade or so.

I think if you take XIV's engine and apply it to XI, it would lose a lot of what makes XI, XI.
____________________________

#38 Feb 11 2016 at 10:42 AM Rating: Excellent
I think SE would be better off waiting a few more years and then launching a sequel to FFXI. Maybe base it in the future, after the events of Rhapsodies (I don't know how that ends yet, but from what I know of the storyline so far, sounds like Vana d'iel's landscape could be rationally revised in the wake of that conflict.

The bigger problem though is I'm just not sure how popular a remake/redo/sequel to FFXI would be. It definitely wouldn't be as popular as the original XI, and while vocal gamers on forums (who tend to dedicate a lot more time to gaming than others) are big fans of horizontal gameplay, the fact is that newer-generation gamers don't want to spend that much time in a single game. So while a more FFXIy game could still work, I'm not sure it would be the same gameplay experience that many of you guys have in mind.

SE would be better off finding ways to keep people playing FFXIV, such as by adding new types of endgame or perhaps refreshing how the game's battle system works.

Personally, I'd love to see a revamped FFXI, but I just don't see it really penciling out in SE's interests.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#39 Feb 11 2016 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
It's be extremely popular in Japan and yes Asura is the highest pop server currently. Honestly, at this point they're settled with XIV and clearly not changing until XIV starts underperforming even more as per the November reports. The mobile version of XI is the "test grounds" to see what a relaunched XI would make in terms of interest because Grandmasters is currently one of the most popular Mobile games in Japan as of today, so XI's interest isn't dead at all.

Since people flood to new MMOs, a new MMO will always attract people and XI has quite the legacy, so I know a lot would at least give a revamped XI a try, especially with how boring XIV is to established players who actually progress the content (you literally fall into only playing on reset day if you take progression even slightly seriously.)

Sadly though, I think even the "vertical only!" players are sick of it because they're now realizing how dull of an MMO it can create when done improperly.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 8:49am by Theonehio
____________________________

#40 Feb 11 2016 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
I love how you say new gamers don't want a horizontal gameplay when all people do in just about every MMORPG that is out now is cry about there being no content. You can't say people don't want horizontal gameplay because quite frankly there is zero games out there that have even tried the concept since forever and it isn't because it will not work, it is because people copied WoW and that became the standard to such a large extent that there were no other options out there whatsoever. Most MMORPGs that are getting hyped up (although there is a lack of that for sure) are games that don't do WoW anymore. They try sandbox or a mix, or look to be more horizontal. Does that mean a game like that would be a new WoW? No, not at all, but yes there is most certainly a market for it because players all over the place are asking for something that isn't what FFXIV has become.

As for a remake of XI I don't see it ever happening because as much as there is a market for other types of games SE isn't a company that would go for it which they have shown and of course it is a risk because just like any MMORPG and even more so when not being WoW it is never a guaranteed success even if there are factions of people willing to give it a shot. I was just saying I would personally love an XI remake.

Also just to be clear I am not saying a game like that would be more successful or that anyone is as king for 2003 XI. It is a different time than it was then, but saying a game would not work because people don't want horizontal progression just has no basis other than "there are no games since wow that tried it so it must be so". Honestly overall the industry looks to be starting to actually cater to niches so something does not have to try to be the next big thing to work out well. That is a good thing.

Come to think of it it saying horizontal progression does not work actually sounds a bit like the stuff Hyanmen used to spout here about how XIV was the future, when just about every other upcoming mmorpg is doing its best not to be like that. It is great at attracting new players though so maybe that is its niche together with just being ff.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 12:09pm by Belcrono

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 12:16pm by Belcrono

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 12:20pm by Belcrono
#41 Feb 11 2016 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I love how you say new gamers don't want a horizontal gameplay when all people do in just about every MMORPG that is out now is cry about there being no content. You can't say people don't want horizontal gameplay because quite frankly there is zero games out there that have even tried the concept since forever and it isn't because it will not work, it is because people copied WoW and that became the standard to such a large extent that there were no other options out there whatsoever. Most MMORPGs that are getting hyped up (although there is a lack of that for sure) are games that don't do WoW anymore. They try sandbox or a mix, or look to be more horizontal. Does that mean a game like that would be a new WoW? No, not at all, but yes there is most certainly a market for it because players all over the place are asking for something that isn't what FFXIV has become.


Nowhere did I say horizontal gameplay can't work. But I strongly doubt old-school FFXI horizontal-style gameplay can work. It all comes down to how much time gamers are willing to spend in their games these days, and that includes the sheer number of people who used to play FFXI. Back then, most of us were in our 20s. Now, most of us are in our 30s. By the time a FFXI sequel or revamp came out, we'd be in our 40s. You guys have to be realistic about this -- most people in our age bracket don't/won't spend so many hours toiling away in an online game.

So while horizontal gaming CAN work, a newly produced horizontal FFXI-ish game wouldn't look like the FFXI that you guys so desperately want to return.

Wildstar tried to re-create that kind of experience, and the game failed horribly. Some kind of FFXI reboot may not crash and burn so hard just because of its legacy fans, but horizontal-heavy games just don't have as large of a potential audience as they once did.

Quote:
but saying a game would not work because people don't want horizontal progression


Again, did not say this. What I said was: ".... while vocal gamers on forums (who tend to dedicate a lot more time to gaming than others) are big fans of horizontal gameplay, the fact is that newer-generation gamers don't want to spend that much time in a single game. So while a more FFXIy game could still work, I'm not sure it would be the same gameplay experience that many of you guys have in mind."

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 9:28am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#42 Feb 11 2016 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Thayos wrote:
the fact is that newer-generation gamers don't want to spend that much time in a single game.


You I get so sick of hearing this from MMO fans it is nothing but a excuse.
You know I think there is enough to support at least one game like that.
First off there must not have been when FFXI launched either because numbers wise it did not do well.. It was because of its longevity that it made SE the most money not the amount of players. There might be less of those people but they play a gamer longer than most who just jump from game to game.

Also everyone considers gamer's nowadays to be kids.. Kids make up not even half the gamer's now a days and the average age of a gamer in probably mid 30's.

Also if there are not enough people how come so many are asking for it then.

Why can't a game just do well, why does every game now have to sell millions to be successful.

I think I would rather have a game with less player base that makes record money than a game that has a record amount of players but is short lived and makes less money?

Personally I think FFXIV is going to be short lived.

Also I think a new FFXI if they ever did could be a little softer around the edge and still do well.. No reason the game could not be slightly easier and a little easier on new players. Was so hard for new players to pick up is why to me it feels like it was winding down years ago. there was no new blood.

Again FFXIV is the complete opposite and thats probably what hurts FFXIV because people wanted something a little easier than FFXI but still closer to FFXI and it is not even close. I think SE wanted to shut down FFXI and have people migrate to FFXIV but it didn't really happen. I think it did initially until people found out how different the game really is. I think then some went back to FFXI and some just left mmo's altogether. There for sure is some still playing obviously and some of those will eventually leave to. Some will stay and enjoy the game. Lets put it this way those game jumpers or those who like it easy are not SE fans for the most part. Those that played FFXI most were and when they leave SE provided no safety net for them.

I just think allot of those left ffxi for FFXIV wanted a easier game that required less time but got something too different. I think the developers also refuse to change and give the SE fans what they really want.

There is allot I like about FFXIV it just the game play is not one of them..
I think rotations for DPS is just boring and stupid. You go on the internet to find the best rotation and do it over and over and over just like the next dps who plays the same job.. There is very little reaction or planing for battles in the game it is just mainly memorization. everything about a dps in this game is about putting out max dps and that is it.





Edited, Feb 11th 2016 1:14pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#43 Feb 11 2016 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I love how you say new gamers don't want a horizontal gameplay when all people do in just about every MMORPG that is out now is cry about there being no content. You can't say people don't want horizontal gameplay because quite frankly there is zero games out there that have even tried the concept since forever and it isn't because it will not work, it is because people copied WoW and that became the standard to such a large extent that there were no other options out there whatsoever. Most MMORPGs that are getting hyped up (although there is a lack of that for sure) are games that don't do WoW anymore. They try sandbox or a mix, or look to be more horizontal. Does that mean a game like that would be a new WoW? No, not at all, but yes there is most certainly a market for it because players all over the place are asking for something that isn't what FFXIV has become.


Nowhere did I say horizontal gameplay can't work. But I strongly doubt old-school FFXI horizontal-style gameplay can work. It all comes down to how much time gamers are willing to spend in their games these days, and that includes the sheer number of people who used to play FFXI. Back then, most of us were in our 20s. Now, most of us are in our 30s. By the time a FFXI sequel or revamp came out, we'd be in our 40s. You guys have to be realistic about this -- most people in our age bracket don't/won't spend so many hours toiling away in an online game.

So while horizontal gaming CAN work, a newly produced horizontal FFXI-ish game wouldn't look like the FFXI that you guys so desperately want to return.

Wildstar tried to re-create that kind of experience, and the game failed horribly. Some kind of FFXI reboot may not crash and burn so hard just because of its legacy fans, but horizontal-heavy games just don't have as large of a potential audience as they once did.

Quote:
but saying a game would not work because people don't want horizontal progression


Again, did not say this. What I said was: ".... while vocal gamers on forums (who tend to dedicate a lot more time to gaming than others) are big fans of horizontal gameplay, the fact is that newer-generation gamers don't want to spend that much time in a single game. So while a more FFXIy game could still work, I'm not sure it would be the same gameplay experience that many of you guys have in mind."

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 9:28am by Thayos



I am in my 40's and they redid FFXIV in what less than a year.
Most of the stuff is there already.
Again I think they could make the game a little softer around the edges and still have the same feeling, i just think FFXIV was just way too far the other way.
I bet we would not be having this conversation if FFXIV was somewhat closer to FFXI.
You know I am not joking my friends list of FFXIV only has two active players on from the start of the game.. i have not deleted anyone.
I was in Zam FC which was in the hundreds at first so I had a big Friends list. A few left the server to other severs over the years but that is allot of people not playing anymore.
You know what is funny that same FC has almost no one on anymore.


Another thing why did FFXI numbers drop over the years too... It became easier. i just think there are enough people out there to support a game.. what 6 months ago FFXI was a no go and now it is a go again? why ?because there is enough players even with dropping ps2 and Xbox.
Obviously there are enough players to keep the game going and the game is 15 years old.
Some of those people will never leave until forced but allot are there because FFXIV is not even close.

You know Thayos I am not totally disagreeing with you and things have changed, I just think you underestimate the amount of players wanting something like FFXI or something close.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 1:21pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#44 Feb 11 2016 at 12:34 PM Rating: Excellent
We have to remember FFXI came out at a time where MMOs weren't mainstream, and it's only real competition was EQ. On console, I don't even think it HAD competition. WoW came along and changed everything and produced clone after clone after clone of more accessible games. People probably do have the time today to play a ton, but you want it to be focused and not spent sitting in Jeuno.

There's just too many options now, it's really hard to focus on just ONE game. This last year alone I played through Witcher 3, Bloodborne, MGSV, Fallout 4, now hammering out Xenoblade Chronicles X, played a ton of the Street Fighter V beta when available, etc. Those games I played through are pretty much a minimum 30 hour dedication to get through (maybe less if you rush). That still leaves me with other games like Mario Maker and such that I haven't had a chance to try. So if you throw in a MMO on top of that like XI of old, you just don't have time for both.

On top of that you have a bunch of digital download indies available to you for 5-15$, which add even MORE hours. There were big games back in 2002, but not at the pace they're releasing things now. I almost feel when a good game isn't released over 1 month, something's off. I honestly think we have the time, it's just spread out across too many games and whatever other activities you got going on. So when something like XIV is charging you a monthly fee, and only giving you 1-2 days a week of satisfaction, it hardly seems worth it.

As much as my nostalgia goggles would LOVE to see a FFXI re-make with things of old, I just know it wouldn't take off for long term success. The entire industry has changed far too much, and there's just way too much available to you now.

edit: Oh, and as for the OP...see, forum's fine, just have to come up with something worth discussing, hah

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 1:37pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#45 Feb 11 2016 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
We have to remember FFXI came out at a time where MMOs weren't mainstream, and it's only real competition was EQ. On console, I don't even think it HAD competition. WoW came along and changed everything and produced clone after clone after clone of more accessible games. People probably do have the time today to play a ton, but you want it to be focused and not spent sitting in Jeuno.

There's just too many options now, it's really hard to focus on just ONE game. This last year alone I played through Witcher 3, Bloodborne, MGSV, Fallout 4, now hammering out Xenoblade Chronicles X, played a ton of the Street Fighter V beta when available, etc. Those games I played through are pretty much a minimum 30 hour dedication to get through (maybe less if you rush). That still leaves me with other games like Mario Maker and such that I haven't had a chance to try. So if you throw in a MMO on top of that like XI of old, you just don't have time for both.

On top of that you have a bunch of digital download indies available to you for 5-15$, which add even MORE hours. There were big games back in 2002, but not at the pace they're releasing things now. I almost feel when a good game isn't released over 1 month, something's off. I honestly think we have the time, it's just spread out across too many games and whatever other activities you got going on. So when something like XIV is charging you a monthly fee, and only giving you 1-2 days a week of satisfaction, it hardly seems worth it.

As much as my nostalgia goggles would LOVE to see a FFXI re-make with things of old, I just know it wouldn't take off for long term success. The entire industry has changed far too much, and there's just way too much available to you now.

edit: Oh, and as for the OP...see, forum's fine, just have to come up with something worth discussing, hah

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 1:37pm by Montsegurnephcreep



I guess you agree with Thayos. But again I still think you are wrong. I think people are begging for something like FFXI again something that gives you long term play. All I hear is People are sick of COD type games and every game copying them. Allot of people are swinging back and sick of these shallow games that are out now. People are sick of 60.00 dollars games that give several weeks of play. People are sick of some executive telling us what we want to play and all these game companies playing it safe. I also think on the coarse we are headed and if games do not try to be different we are going to have another crash in the video game market. I think people are getting bored of video games if they do not start offering something new and longer game play.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#46 Feb 11 2016 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Theonehio wrote:
It's be extremely popular in Japan and yes Asura is the highest pop server currently. Honestly, at this point they're settled with XIV and clearly not changing until XIV starts underperforming even more as per the November reports. The mobile version of XI is the "test grounds" to see what a relaunched XI would make in terms of interest because Grandmasters is currently one of the most popular Mobile games in Japan as of today, so XI's interest isn't dead at all.

Since people flood to new MMOs, a new MMO will always attract people and XI has quite the legacy, so I know a lot would at least give a revamped XI a try, especially with how boring XIV is to established players who actually progress the content (you literally fall into only playing on reset day if you take progression even slightly seriously.)

Sadly though, I think even the "vertical only!" players are sick of it because they're now realizing how dull of an MMO it can create when done improperly.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 8:49am by Theonehio


You seriously see some kind of resurgence for FFXI? It's on maintenance mode, at best. And that's only cause the Japanese playerbase are loyal.
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1053318/
#47 Feb 11 2016 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
I guess you agree with Thayos. But again I still think you are wrong. I think people are begging for something like FFXI again something that gives you long term play. All I hear is People are sick of COD type games and every game copying them. Allot of people are swinging back and sick of these shallow games that are out now. People are sick of 60.00 dollars games that give several weeks of play. People are sick of some executive telling us what we want to play and all these game companies playing it safe. I also think on the coarse we are headed and if games do not try to be different we are going to have another crash in the video game market. I think people are getting bored of video games if they do not start offering something new and longer game play.



There are different things out there, people just have to look for them and play them. The entire Souls series (including Bloodborne) has been fantastic. Here's the game, have at it, we aren't telling you ****! Xenoblade Chronicles X is the same way, but people are ripping it for being "too complicated" with no tutorial. I'm enjoying it immensely, 50 hours in and still having to figure things out. Undertale was old school and out of left field, huge success.

Even the Phantom Pain, what was the last game like that with the freedom to really do whatever the hell you wanted to your enemies? Have them adapt on top of it all (ya, don't go in rocket launcher/grenade launcher into all missions), all that works after that is sleep gas.

Things like CoD, yes, I gave up on after MW2, because it's essentially the same game, OVER and OVER without much change. Even right now, Street Fighter V is on it's way. The biggest complaints about it? It's too different from IV. Well holy hell, if you want IV, go play IV! The makers of Fallout 4 were right when said: You stray from the original too much, it no longer FEELS like Fallout, yet you make a similar game and well crap, this isn't original at all!

As for XI, maybe you're right, I really have NO idea. Personally, my opinion is that it's not sustainable long term, but could very well be wrong. As Hio said earlier, maybe in Japan.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 1:55pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#48 Feb 11 2016 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I love how you say new gamers don't want a horizontal gameplay when all people do in just about every MMORPG that is out now is cry about there being no content. You can't say people don't want horizontal gameplay because quite frankly there is zero games out there that have even tried the concept since forever and it isn't because it will not work, it is because people copied WoW and that became the standard to such a large extent that there were no other options out there whatsoever. Most MMORPGs that are getting hyped up (although there is a lack of that for sure) are games that don't do WoW anymore. They try sandbox or a mix, or look to be more horizontal. Does that mean a game like that would be a new WoW? No, not at all, but yes there is most certainly a market for it because players all over the place are asking for something that isn't what FFXIV has become.


Nowhere did I say horizontal gameplay can't work. But I strongly doubt old-school FFXI horizontal-style gameplay can work. It all comes down to how much time gamers are willing to spend in their games these days, and that includes the sheer number of people who used to play FFXI. Back then, most of us were in our 20s. Now, most of us are in our 30s. By the time a FFXI sequel or revamp came out, we'd be in our 40s. You guys have to be realistic about this -- most people in our age bracket don't/won't spend so many hours toiling away in an online game.

So while horizontal gaming CAN work, a newly produced horizontal FFXI-ish game wouldn't look like the FFXI that you guys so desperately want to return.

Wildstar tried to re-create that kind of experience, and the game failed horribly. Some kind of FFXI reboot may not crash and burn so hard just because of its legacy fans, but horizontal-heavy games just don't have as large of a potential audience as they once did.

Quote:
but saying a game would not work because people don't want horizontal progression


Again, did not say this. What I said was: ".... while vocal gamers on forums (who tend to dedicate a lot more time to gaming than others) are big fans of horizontal gameplay, the fact is that newer-generation gamers don't want to spend that much time in a single game. So while a more FFXIy game could still work, I'm not sure it would be the same gameplay experience that many of you guys have in mind."

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 9:28am by Thayos


I see what I did there. I guess that would be what you call a straw man isn't it? I apologize. I still think you generalize too much when saying younger gamers are not willing to spend that much time in a single game though.

As for Wildstar, they basically made a worse Vanilla WoW which has nothing to do with horizontal progression so whilst I would assume you meant people are not willing to put time into one game and Wildstar showing that, I would argue it all depends on how the game is set up and Wildstar, just like WoW, was/is vertical progression. Something which just does not lend itself to allow people to play it for very long without simply running out of anything to do at the same time as the things you do actually do are immense grinds of the same thing over and over in short bursts. Not to mention, like I mentioned in my earlier post I myself don't even want XI the way it was released in 2003, but the concepts are still there and can be tailored to the new generation of games to get a good mixture. It looked (until it all went black lol) like EQN was heading that way, and I hope it will, but we will see. Again, sorry I sort of misread your earlier post somewhat.
#49 Feb 11 2016 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
I think another thing for me is I relaise allot of gamers are older now. I am near the top of the spectrum of gamers in age and as they/we get older we end up with more time really. I do have several friends on xbox live in the 50's and some near 60. Matter of fact I had at least 4 or 5 friends in FFXI that were in their 50's

Kids are grown up moving out, college or what ever. When you are young or I was younger I was skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, playing 3 sand volleyball leagues etc.Now I am slowing down I have more time for stuff like gaming. I think you have whole new gamer generation coming up. We also have imagination and want more. we are sick of tv being the same old thing and watching TV, that was our parents thing.

It is not just about younger gamer anymore. It is not about the pottie mouthed 13 year old screaming in the headset telling you to go blank yourself or your mother every 3 seconds.








Edited, Feb 11th 2016 3:24pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#50 Feb 11 2016 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's be extremely popular in Japan and yes Asura is the highest pop server currently. Honestly, at this point they're settled with XIV and clearly not changing until XIV starts underperforming even more as per the November reports. The mobile version of XI is the "test grounds" to see what a relaunched XI would make in terms of interest because Grandmasters is currently one of the most popular Mobile games in Japan as of today, so XI's interest isn't dead at all.

Since people flood to new MMOs, a new MMO will always attract people and XI has quite the legacy, so I know a lot would at least give a revamped XI a try, especially with how boring XIV is to established players who actually progress the content (you literally fall into only playing on reset day if you take progression even slightly seriously.)

Sadly though, I think even the "vertical only!" players are sick of it because they're now realizing how dull of an MMO it can create when done improperly.

Edited, Feb 11th 2016 8:49am by Theonehio


You seriously see some kind of resurgence for FFXI? It's on maintenance mode, at best. And that's only cause the Japanese playerbase are loyal.


I do actually, it just depends on how they choose to go about it. For example the only reason Abyssea at all had a bad reception was because it shot the level cap from 75-95 too quickly for the game to actually keep up content wise, so with it handing out gear, it pretty much reset the game at a time it NEEDED content due to XIV 1.0's production limiting WoTG progression heavily.

So yeah the Japanese are loyal, but as proven with PSO2, you honestly don't "need" the NA/EU playerbase loyality to have a long running game, since XI's initial plan was to be Japanese only anyway. Due to how popular Grandmasters ended up, it would actually be kind of silly for SE not to do something with XI at this point, which is why they're testing the waters with the mobile "remake" of XI, just wish they didn't go to Nexon for it.
____________________________

#51 Feb 12 2016 at 9:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,731 posts
I think you have to wait and see how many people are left after the ps2 and xbox are dumped.
I personally think it is in a slow death at this point. I mean if you read the release it sounds like basically going to be content to upgrading gear. Very little actual content so if it pretty much about gear upgrades might as well play FFXIV. I do think there is a little resurgence because some people did comeback or they would have not come out and changed their mind and said now they are adding some new content. Maybe it was not necessarily a resurgence but not as many people left the game that they thought.

I think there will be a server merge again too.. Unless they allow those still playing to keep user names there will be a exit from the game like last time. I know the last time you had to change your name even if it was a long dead account with the same user name. Some have had their name for ever and do not want to change.



Edited, Feb 12th 2016 10:22am by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 3 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (3)