1
Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

So Questions about returning...just when I thought I was outFollow

#27 Dec 28 2016 at 3:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
180 posts
I did the first 5 turns but I haven't touched 6-10 or the last ones at all...

I'll just PF it to get a solid group

I'm leveling up really slow compared to before...I assume the quests start giving more xp in the heavensward content? not that I mind just wondering
#28 Dec 28 2016 at 4:46 PM Rating: Excellent
I think you get bonus exp leveling from 1 to 50, just to get people up to HW faster, but I could be wrong.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#29 Dec 31 2016 at 10:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Aside rested bonus and armory bonus (basically a bonus for having a maxed out job) there's no other boosts beyond food (since unless you're in a FC with constant exp buff, the only immediate drop off would food/armor bonus). HW quests give "more exp" but your xp to next level is also insanely bloated, so it's about the same as ARR quests, but HW will be enough exp to get one job to or near 60 if you do all the quests.

Edited, Dec 31st 2016 8:34am by Theonehio
____________________________

#30 Dec 31 2016 at 3:07 PM Rating: Good
***
3,441 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Aside rested bonus and armory bonus (basically a bonus for having a maxed out job) there's no other boosts beyond food (since unless you're in a FC with constant exp buff, the only immediate drop off would food/armor bonus). HW quests give "more exp" but your xp to next level is also insanely bloated, so it's about the same as ARR quests, but HW will be enough exp to get one job to or near 60 if you do all the quests.

Edited, Dec 31st 2016 8:34am by Theonehio


Could probably get 2 jobs to 60 by the end of HW I'm thinking if you did just a bit per day and kept up with the Roulettes.

Roulettes should not be underestimated because of the ludicrous XP you get from them, even if it does drop off post-50. Just doing one (Main Scenario) roulette on my PLD got me to 51 and some over a week of doing it once a day, and then a bunch of Pre-HW MSQ got me to 52.

Now that my WHM is 50... I'll probably give the Leveling Roulette and maybe Lv50 Trials to my WHM lol.
#31 Jan 04 2017 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
Just did the 4 free days, have one left. I caught up on the story, got my 235 weapon from PotD, did all of Normal Alex, and finished of Containment Bay P1T6. Is there anything else in terms of casual content that you can do to gear up beyond 230? I know I can get a higher level weapon through PotD, but good god it's beyond mundane doing that event. Though I guess it's better than trudging through the Anima trials.

I know there's all the extreme/savage stuff, but I'm probably undergeared and don't need to waste people's time for one day.
____________________________

#32 Jan 04 2017 at 3:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Currently not really, 3.5 is the next set (and last leg of Void Ark) but that's well beyond your last free days lol. Sophia is fairly casual (yes, it is, before anyone tries to say otherwise) but that has the usual learning curve of all extreme primals. I don't think you're undergeared unless you'll be tanking, some things may hit kind of hard but 3.3 and 3.4 weren't that bad, especially since if you have gil you can just buy ilvl250 crafted gear which is what got people through Creator Savage in the first 2 days (for world first runners) and first week for casual raiders.

Grinding the relic is probably your best bet for a top weapon unless you do Sophia Ex for 255 or grind PoTD for that 255 weapon. I wouldn't bother with savage honestly because 3.5 will be passing out better gear (as always) even if it's sightly lower ilvl.

So I guess it depends on if you plan to stick around or not, otherwise you're at the point you'd normally be if you don't touch ex primals/savage Alexander.

____________________________

#33 Jan 04 2017 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Currently not really, 3.5 is the next set (and last leg of Void Ark) but that's well beyond your last free days lol. Sophia is fairly casual (yes, it is, before anyone tries to say otherwise) but that has the usual learning curve of all extreme primals.


To put this in context...

I have a content static, we're able to meet once every two or three weeks. We tackled Sophia Ex for an hour a few weeks ago. We spent two hours on it this Monday, all the same people. We managed to get her down to 34 percent health on our best attempt, though we were probably going to hit the enrage timer even if we hadn't died.

We're all pretty good players. Casual, yes -- but we're all quick learners who keep our cool, use voice chat and work well together. And we'd all watched videos.

So... whether you call Sophia Ex "casual" is completely up to you. I say it's midcore. Regardless, now you have an accurate measure for how the fight compares to the rest of the game, where pretty much anything outside of savage raids/extreme primals can be downed with no previous knowledge or practice.

Edited, Jan 4th 2017 2:36pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#34 Jan 04 2017 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
Sophia is fairly casual (yes, it is, before anyone tries to say otherwise) but that has the usual learning curve of all extreme primals.


Yeah you should probably be the last person to decide what is and isn't casual content. Smiley: rolleyes

Quote:
Just did the 4 free days, have one left. I caught up on the story, got my 235 weapon from PotD, did all of Normal Alex, and finished of Containment Bay P1T6.


That's a lot of stuff in 3 days depending on how far behind you were when you started. I know you dislike PotD (I use it to level off jobs) but that probably IS the best choice for progression in your case where time is a factor. Other than that pay attention to what 3.5 brings in and see what you think. We'll be getting a new 24-man raid that'll most likely drop 260 gear and A9-12 still provide 250 gear if you can deal with collecting your gear in bits and pieces like that. Otherwise you're pretty much caught up.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#35 Jan 04 2017 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
Callinon wrote:
That's a lot of stuff in 3 days depending on how far behind you were when you started. I know you dislike PotD (I use it to level off jobs) but that probably IS the best choice for progression in your case where time is a factor. Other than that pay attention to what 3.5 brings in and see what you think. We'll be getting a new 24-man raid that'll most likely drop 260 gear and A9-12 still provide 250 gear if you can deal with collecting your gear in bits and pieces like that. Otherwise you're pretty much caught up.


Ya, that's the nice thing about giving you the whole month to use up your 96 consecutive hours. You can choose a few days where you don't have much going on and just play away.

So you can level any job through PotD and still trade in the weapon for any job you want?

The way they set things up doesn't really encourage re-subbing (for those who don't do endgame). I figure by the time the next free campaign rolls around, The Creator will not have a weekly limit. So you can gear up decently quick, keep up with the story and do which ever other dungeons were added. I'll want to keep up for Stormblood, but if it's anything like Heavensward, all gear will be obsolete in ohh, 5 minutes.
____________________________

#36 Jan 04 2017 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
So you can level any job through PotD and still trade in the weapon for any job you want?


You can. The only stipulation is you must have the class/job unlocked because you have to be on it when you hand over the aetherpool levels. I leveled my AST in there and used the aetherpool levels to pick up the BLM weapon.

Quote:
I figure by the time the next free campaign rolls around, The Creator will not have a weekly limit.


I assume that's going away in 3.55 along with the weekly scripture limit either going way up or being eliminated entirely.

Quote:
I'll want to keep up for Stormblood, but if it's anything like Heavensward, all gear will be obsolete in ohh, 5 minutes.


Took longer than that for me in HW. I didn't replace my Zeta weapon until like level 58 and most of my gear was perfectly usable until 60. This IS a vertical game though, and Stormblood will offer better gear than Heavensward probably starting about midway through the leveling process. That's just how this works.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#37 Jan 04 2017 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
I have no problem with gear going obsolete. It's just a tool to see and fight through new content. I mean, the way XI did it was cool too but that was a different game.

Edited, Jan 5th 2017 11:09am by BrokenFox
____________________________
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1053318/
#38 Jan 05 2017 at 8:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Ya, I understand that the game will probably never stray from the gear grind. PotD has done some things right though. The gear is irrelevant, you can level different jobs while still earning a weapon for another job entirely. Can repeat it infinitely, small party, fixed or matched, I'm assuming the challenge ramps up a bit beyond 100. If they can stay on this road of moderately challenging, long term events with a bit more substance to them, it could be a good thing.

If it could offer up more gear, that'd be nice. These are the type of events I've wanted them to add since the game launched. They have the right idea, just need to expand on it and keep it 4 man. 8 man statics, bit of a pain, 4 man party? Takes me two seconds to ask in FC if anyone's bored and you usually get 1-2 replies and can PF/Shout for the last member.

____________________________

#39 Jan 05 2017 at 12:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Sadly, the biggest challenge of 101-200 is finding a set amount of people if you don't have enough interested people in your FC/LS, the floors themselves are a non issue (basically think switching from "Normal Mode" to "Hard Mode" in single player games that add more hp/higher damage output etc) just a full wipe (everyone dies) is game over and you have to rebuild to floor 101 again, there's no do overs. So you really only want to do it once you have 99/99 PoTD stats and a good team to go through it. For example it's basically the same set of bosses but you actually won't be able to carry through certain mechanics that were clearly meant to wipe you (Meteor/Explosions/Snake gaining haste and damage up in the puddle etc.) That's why I've said if they did PoTD 101-200 but with 8 man as well, then it'd be a nice alternative set of content, since they're going back towards crafted gear being relevant again, so things are actually in a VERY weird place until the expansion.

The biggest problem of moving more into this format is handling the raid content and ex primals. While it's no secret some people don't care for raid content and want it to be removed from the game, even the dev team stated moving Creator to Coil difficulty ontop of the Raid Finder introduction hugely increased participation and clear rates, so they'd have to balance out what you gain from PoTD vs what you gain from Raids. Throw in the fact they're tossing in Jump potions that people will be buying, if they do ever re-evaluate this game's setup, it's definitely going to have to be a lot sooner than 5.0. With new designers handling Stormblood's content, there's actually good chance for new progression setups to happen, like it should have been with 3.x, so who knows.

PoTD (Reward wise) largely is designed to only compete with the ex primals (weapons only atm) so if they do go towards an armor set from PoTD and not just Eureka in 4.x it's likely a low man alternate to the alliance raid content. Though it would require them to move back towards the Coil era where ex primals offer not just weapons but also accessories. So with Zurvan is a good chance because it's going to be harder than Sophia, so the next update to PoTD in probably 3.55 or 4.01 can offer accessories/armor ontop of the weapon as 3.5 is the final (easy to obtain) ilvl gearset of 3.x and introductory ilvl into 4.0. So offering 265/270 weapon and accessories similar to Shiva would put players in a good spot, since unlocking Creator in 3.55 won't really do much with so much easier alternatives this go around.

____________________________

#40 Jan 05 2017 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
That's what I want in an MMO, tons of different events to gear up with. A variety in the events too, was getting sick and tired of only having 8+ man content reward anything significant. I don't expect PotD to hand out anything on par with Ex Primals or Savage, but it'd be nice to make it useful if you want to start doing those things. Crafted gear having use it nice too, just adds another avenue for people to gear up.

I know Yoshi said SE is content with people coming and going patch after patch, but I still feel they should try to vary the game some. I personally have had no reason to play beyond the free campaigns, but you throw in challenging 4 man content? I might stick around a few months at a time.
____________________________

#41 Jan 05 2017 at 1:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
That's what I want in an MMO, tons of different events to gear up with. A variety in the events too, was getting sick and tired of only having 8+ man content reward anything significant. I don't expect PotD to hand out anything on par with Ex Primals or Savage, but it'd be nice to make it useful if you want to start doing those things. Crafted gear having use it nice too, just adds another avenue for people to gear up.


That's why I enjoy PoTD... it makes it much easier for casual players to pursue relevant weapons that can make them useful in current-tier content. Plus, it's kind of fun. A round of PoTD + a leveling roulette is a great way to level a job each day. Or, running through a set of floors on a paladin is a great way to farm tomes without the coin-flip roulette.

I'm also somewhat hopeful about the dev team's plans to incorporate the exploratory zone into the relic weapon quest chain. I do the relic for my paladin, but the grind isn't remotely interesting enough to do twice. If the grind were more interesting -- and if I could maybe get some tomes on the side -- I'd definitely invest more time in questing for two or three relics. So I'm hoping that's done well, but we'll see... the Diadem flopped so hard, I'm waiting on this with extremely cautious optimism.

For that matter, how cool would it be if the relic weapon quest were completely different for each job? Different storylines, dialogues, etc., to really drive home important themes for each job. That would be a great way to build depth into the game. If only.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#42 Jan 05 2017 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
For that matter, how cool would it be if the relic weapon quest were completely different for each job? Different storylines, dialogues, etc., to really drive home important themes for each job. That would be a great way to build depth into the game. If only.


That would be awesome. Don't think it'll happen but it'd be pretty cool if it did.

I'd really like them to lay off the tomestone grinds for relic stages. I'm on the umbrite step right now and the grind is realer than real. Also not being able to use my Lore on anything but the relic is making it a pain to progress my other jobs. I don't mind SOME tomestone costs associated with the relic line but they've gone overboard here.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#43 Jan 05 2017 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I'd really like them to lay off the tomestone grinds for relic stages. I'm on the umbrite step right now and the grind is realer than real. Also not being able to use my Lore on anything but the relic is making it a pain to progress my other jobs. I don't mind SOME tomestone costs associated with the relic line but they've gone overboard here.


Totally agree, which is why the talk of using exploratory zones makes me hopeful. We will still need to grind, but hopefully the grind is a bit more unique to the task at hand.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#44 Jan 05 2017 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Callinon wrote:
Quote:
For that matter, how cool would it be if the relic weapon quest were completely different for each job? Different storylines, dialogues, etc., to really drive home important themes for each job. That would be a great way to build depth into the game. If only.


That would be awesome. Don't think it'll happen but it'd be pretty cool if it did.

I'd really like them to lay off the tomestone grinds for relic stages. I'm on the umbrite step right now and the grind is realer than real. Also not being able to use my Lore on anything but the relic is making it a pain to progress my other jobs. I don't mind SOME tomestone costs associated with the relic line but they've gone overboard here.


It's only this way to keep old content relevant because they know players would happily move on if given the ability to. It worked in XI because the content you ran for a relic/mythic/empyrean still dropped relevant gear and items, but in XIV..you're LOOOOOOOONG past needing anything the content drops except for the tomes. That's why the only hope realistically are the guest designers for 4.x. Even though they said they're sticking with the creator formula which is heavily disappointing, as long as it's better designed it wouldn't be a problem.

____________________________

#45 Jan 05 2017 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
It's only this way to keep old content relevant because they know players would happily move on if given the ability to. It worked in XI because the content you ran for a relic/mythic/empyrean still dropped relevant gear and items, but in XIV..you're LOOOOOOOONG past needing anything the content drops except for the tomes.


But that's just not true. We saw in the 2.x relic line that content could be kept alive without the reason for it being tomestones. The reason for keeping old content in the mix is so that new players can get it done. I had an absolute bear of a time trying to get A5-8N done precisely because nobody needs it anymore and there's no reason to run it. If it were gating off the main story I'd be completely screwed.

We had lights, we had animus books, we had dungeon atmas... all these things kept old content alive and full of people without being strictly about the tomestones (I do realize animus books cost tomestones, but that wasn't the entirety of that step).
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#46 Jan 05 2017 at 4:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Callinon wrote:
Quote:
It's only this way to keep old content relevant because they know players would happily move on if given the ability to. It worked in XI because the content you ran for a relic/mythic/empyrean still dropped relevant gear and items, but in XIV..you're LOOOOOOOONG past needing anything the content drops except for the tomes.


But that's just not true. We saw in the 2.x relic line that content could be kept alive without the reason for it being tomestones. The reason for keeping old content in the mix is so that new players can get it done.


Yeah, the 2.x era was still "new" so things didn't get outpaced like they do in 3.x. You had 2 sets of relevant tomestones, relevant crafted gear and item drops, relevant gear drops from dungeons, quests that rewarded you relevant items for completing weekly (i.e Primal Focus) and even the primal gear largely had a use for quite some time, namely Leviathan and Shiva, so things didn't seem as bad. In 3.x, you only 1 relevant and 1 semi-useful set of tomestones but unlike 2.x, a lot of the gear isn't really that useful to you since they tend to be lower ilvl than something else you can obtain easily, which is why people always say the new dungeons are 'glamour sets', so a lot of of the 3.x requirements is heavily based around tomestones to keep older content flowing because WT doesn't take you into quite a bit of 3.x era content, it's heavily weighed on 2.x content (especially if you notice you can predict your objective rotation despite supposedly being "random") though that might change in 3.5.

That's why moving back towards making relevant crafted items is a good start, but for the relic quest, they're laying into the tomestone requirement heavily because that will keep people running the older content especially this late in the game. Wonderous Tails ended up helping out too, but I don't know about your server, aside balmung, PFs for WT stuff dies out within the first 3 hours after reset though. 3.x content was being obsoleted much, much quicker than 2.x content did which was something they actually planned. So I'm more referring to the 3.x relic questline.

Quote:
We had lights, we had animus books, we had dungeon atmas... all these things kept old content alive and full of people without being strictly about the tomestones (I do realize animus books cost tomestones, but that wasn't the entirety of that step).


Yep. 2.x had a better design though still fairly grindy. Though in the long run it's all because of the all too common "delay" that happened at 3.0 that we ended up getting what we did because they later had to balance the questline with that of gaining a top tier raid weapon. If they had time to actually do the quest as planned it probably would have been the more "quest oriented" system they stated it would be. I don't care about grinds, but when you really look at how the relic quest progressed, you can see when things changed (not so much for the better.) Early 3.x relic quests were ok, but..that changed PRETTY quickly lol.



____________________________

#47 Jan 05 2017 at 6:18 PM Rating: Good
I'd be happy if they got rid of any RNG involving relics. I wish certain parts would involve, clear an unsynced Coil Turn 1-4 twice! Clear Alex Normal 1-4! As long as I know I'm progressing, I don't mind it too much. To run certain FATEs, dungeons, etc with the CHANCE of having a drop to help you advance just drives me nuts. Heck, it made me avoid the relic line entirely for Heavensward.

You can still keep this thing casual and have a decent time requirement but make it fun in the process. Did people really have fun spamming the crap out of HM Garuda over and over, or repeating Coil T4 over and over? They have more than enough old content now to rid themselves of the RNG and just add more steps.
____________________________

#48 Jan 05 2017 at 7:14 PM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
I'd be happy if they got rid of any RNG involving relics. I wish certain parts would involve, clear an unsynced Coil Turn 1-4 twice! Clear Alex Normal 1-4! As long as I know I'm progressing, I don't mind it too much.


This is why I liked the animus step on the 2.x chain so much. You had to do a lot for it and it took a while, but you could always sit down and make definite measurable progress AND it didn't have you doing exactly the same thing over and over again.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#49 Jan 06 2017 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,820 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
You can still keep this thing casual and have a decent time requirement but make it fun in the process. Did people really have fun spamming the crap out of HM Garuda over and over, or repeating Coil T4 over and over? They have more than enough old content now to rid themselves of the RNG and just add more steps.


Very few if anyone enjoyed the HM Garuda/Shiva spams for those particular steps, which is why Yoshida said 3.0 relics will be a lot more quest focused rather than "spam content" >.>
____________________________

#50 Jan 06 2017 at 11:00 AM Rating: Good
***
3,736 posts
Quote:
which is why Yoshida said 3.0 relics will be a lot more quest focused rather than "spam content" >.>


... Umbrite ... that is all.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 9 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (9)